Sorlox - FRC nautilus compressor

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Re: Sorlox - FRC nautilus compressor

Post by KitemanSA »

seedload wrote: No, even to Rossi. Start with an open mind, digest the evidence, and then draw conclusions. As the BS piles up, consider abandoning ship.
I guess that is the distinction. I "consider" it all the time but feel no abiding NEED to "decide" on it. Or more accurately, I have decided not to believe it to the tune of not sending him any of my money. But that is caution, not belief.

I kind of feel like I am on a jury and every day my fellow jury members are hounding me to decide one way or the other... while the trial is still going on. I am somewhat shamed of my fellow jurors for their inappropriate actions.

Sorry, off topic and I will not respond beyond rudeness to any further discussion on this diversion.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

while the trial is still going on
Sorry, but I've got to ask when the trial is going to be over?
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Ok, so they are a bit tooo sparse with technical details for my taste. They only talk about deuterium and not D+T. So would it be correct to assume that they are going to burn D2 only? If so, that would probably reduce some of the problems with DT reactors. They would still produce a lot of neutrons that will have some implications on the burn chamber and potentially also the rest of the reactor.
Lots of other open questions. Still, it does look interesting and I wish them the best of luck.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

There is a patent for this in his name:
http://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/d ... Rec=153336

seedload

Post by seedload »

Skipjack wrote:There is a patent for this in his name:
I was curious if there would be any indication of why the thing was a spiral. I didn't see anything that indicated that a spiral was necessary rather than just a long tapered tube. Yet, they don't seem to be making claims for the 'passageway' in any other configuration than a spiral which I found odd.
Stick the thing in a tub of water! Sheesh!

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I think their claim is that the spiral shape somehow adds a sort of rotation, or twist to the plasmoid...

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I guess I just do not get it, the design seem to add unusual complexity and goes against what I would think be best practices for working with plasma.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

When the FRC is tilted, the toroidal electron flow not only twists the field lines but convects the entire tilted FRC topology toroidally.
Maybe there is some advantage in this twisting/convection (shades of LPP's DPF).

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

paperburn1 wrote:I guess I just do not get it, the design seem to add unusual complexity and goes against what I would think be best practices for working with plasma.
I am not disagreeing with you in that it feels "wrong", but I dont know enough about this to effectively disprove their claims.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Skipjack wrote:
paperburn1 wrote:I guess I just do not get it, the design seem to add unusual complexity and goes against what I would think be best practices for working with plasma.
I am not disagreeing with you in that it feels "wrong", but I dont know enough about this to effectively disprove their claims.
I am in the same boat.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

rcain

Post by rcain »

Skipjack wrote:There is a patent for this in his name:
aha! well found skipjack. that is what i was searching for (unsuccessfully). will give it a read thru.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

Sorlox has a 6 min 17 s video on their homepage showing a simulation of their device, but without a description of how it works.
http://www.sorlox.com/company.html
The spiral design is to get a compact size of the device. The same video has been uploaded on Youtube on the 20th of August:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suxCnnkQM5Q

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Or more accurately, I have decided not to believe it to the tune of not sending him any of my money. But that is caution, not belief.
You should work on your wording...

As for this topic I'm with the others, feels wrong, but can't say for sure.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ScottL wrote:As for this topic I'm with the others, feels wrong, but can't say for sure.
Then you are NOT with the others, they DO say for sure. You are with me.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Really Kite? Because if you scroll up like 4 posts you'll see that both Skip and Paper both state they don't feel it is right. I'm with them on this and if you agree on that part, great.