Hypermatter fusion reactor

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Dissident

Hypermatter fusion reactor

Post by Dissident »

Hi all,

I'm sorry that it isn't related to the main subject, but I'm very curious how this Star Wars fiction technology can become reality. There has to be a way.

1. How are we going to extract matter from hyperspace ? LHC could do the work (?)
2. How can it be tapped?
3. What would look like a hypermatter fusion reactor?

Thanks

Re: Hypermatter fusion reactor

Post by 93143 »

a) There DOESN'T have to be a way, since "hypermatter reactor" is just a term some guy made up because it sounds cool, and maybe because he figured out that even matter/antimatter fuel leaves the Death Star physically too small to do what it did onscreen.

b) even if there is a way, no one here has ANY FREAKING IDEA what it is. Established physics isn't far enough along to talk about hyperspace with any sort of confidence.

Besides, fuel availability isn't the problem with current fusion reactor designs. Power density and gain are the hurdles, and we have a LONG way to go before we need to try getting more fuel out of alternate dimensions, if that need ever materializes at all...

Sorry... been doing literature review work for my Ph.D. all day, short-tempered as a result...

Isochroma

Post by Isochroma »

Moved to Implications Subforum:

Cracking More Skulls per Dollar with Polywell
viewtopic.php?p=11638
Last edited by Isochroma on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roger

Post by Roger »

Isochroma wrote: it will certainly be highly controlled by the US military (as it already is)
Dude, polywell is open source. Got your self 2 million, you can build your own.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

Thanks Isochroma, I hadn't had my daily feed of conspiracy theory yet.

But, heck, at least you're not off topic in a thread that's already about something fictional.

Mike "Card Carrying Member of the Blind Masses" Holmes

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Hypermatter is just sci-fi.

You might as well ask whether a fusion reactor could be powered by beams shot from the horn of the Queen of the Space Unicorns.
Remeber, the US military is the largest criminal organization on Earth
No, they're the primary reason that people living in the free world, from Taiwan to South Korea to Europe, get to speak their minds and elect their leaders rather than living in an Orwellian nightmare of repression and dictatorship.

Chomsky is a fool. He made excuses for Mao and Pol Pot while tens of millions died, but condemns the very organization that keeps him free.

jmc

Post by jmc »

Isochroma wrote: The really important things in life don't need fusion. Society would be better off without the distraction of yet another way to obtain the energy needed to perpetuate the rape of the planet and its current toxic dead-end way of life.

I'd rather the funds be put to social programs, renewable energy (solar, wind, etc.), and countless other ways in which humans can help each other to live in sustainable harmony with each other and the planet, rather than becoming dependant on another technology which itself is totally reliant on the military-industrial system for its own existence.
Social programs and looking after the topsoil have their place. But so does energy production, without energy you would need an incredible ammount of toil and slavery to keep the present day world's population alive if it could be done at all.

You clearly recognise that by mentioning solar and wind, both have their pros (no emmissions does not use up finite reserves) and their cons (large land area, intermittency). Supplying energy to the world is an engineering problem and an economic problem, and nuclear fusion and fission are both reasonable possibilities to be consided right alongside solar and wind.

I wish people could keep a level head and read up in detail about different energy production issues and their advantages and dissadvantages without getting all touchy-feely about "raping the planet" and the like.

icarus

Post by icarus »

The material requirements for solar and wind generators are huge.

Aluminium is needed in large quantities for wind turbine blades and towers having a 15-20 year design life. Low energy output per unit mass of installed material means a massive demand for aluminium will be digging up holes and sucking up electricity for ore reduction like nothing ever seen.

Silicon demand for solar panels on a 10-15 year design life is worse, just to maintain an installed base in working condition. We will be essentially burning through silicon like it was being fed into a reactor since it is not recoverable once the panel is finished.

No free lunches my green friends. Your bad ideas just lead to bad outcomes like BIO-FUEL DRIVEN FOOD SHORTAGES. How do you feel about starving poor people just to feed your lunatic, green romantic engineering?

Isochroma

Post by Isochroma »

Deleted. See "Cracking More Skulls per Dollar with Polywell":
viewtopic.php?p=11638
Last edited by Isochroma on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isochroma

Post by Isochroma »

Moved to "Cracking More Skulls per Dollar with Polywell":
viewtopic.php?p=11638
Last edited by Isochroma on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

Another one off his meds. Yow.

Isochroma

Post by Isochroma »

viewtopic.php?p=11638
Last edited by Isochroma on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Isochroma

Post by Isochroma »

There is no sane argument in favor of giving a murderous organization steeped at all levels in criminality a new tool for its sordid, disgusting purposes. Not even if the vermin (ie. populace at its feet and in distant, favored lands) may at some time in the future be 'given' the tool after the beast has had its fill of utility value.

Rick Brice

Post by Rick Brice »

????
Last edited by Rick Brice on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isochroma

Post by Isochroma »

viewtopic.php?p=11638
Last edited by Isochroma on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 13 times in total.