Joe Eck hits Tc = 187 C, 368 F

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Re: Joe Eck hits Tc = 53C, 127 F

Post by KitemanSA »

Oops, I guess I should have mentioned that I was considering the holy grail of HTSC, power transmission lines. But since I did mention the high desert sun, perhaps that should have been clear. Maybe not.

rcain

Post by rcain »

or just brem for short - we know what u mean.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

rcain wrote:or just brem for short - we know what u mean.
Yeah, not sure who came up with that abbreviation... It does not mean anything ;)
Also worth mentioning that when men from some parts of Austria speak in heavy dialect and mention "struhlen" or "strullern", they talk about peeing ;)
#

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

I think I have occasionally spelled "braking radiation" correctly, but if you expect me to consistently spell correctly, you will be continually disappointed. A better spell checker that actually allows new words would help, but I seldom use a word processor with such a spell checker to write my missives,and then transfer them to the browser.

As for Kiteman's annoyance, I recognize his pique, and for super conductors without external excess heat loads, no additional cooling is needed for maintenance, assuming very good insulation or in this case very high Tc comparable to the anticipated environmental temperature. But I perceive that the needs for maintaining a superconducting state in a reactor against heat sources not related to resistive Ohmic heating of the superconductor itself is sometimes glossed over.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Annoyance? Well, perhaps a bit with myself.

Teemu

Post by Teemu »

http://arxiv.org/ftp/cond-mat/papers/0608/0608368.pdf
However,signals from non-superconducting inhomogeneous samples can easily mimic superconducting signals, due to a redistribution of current flow caused, for example, by differing temperature-dependent resistivity of the different phases (a positive-negative result)
Maybe this is the reason why the yield isn't going up, but the temperature keeps going up.

If you don't have real superconductor, it is much easier to try to find some random positive momentum on the M-T curve at higher and higher temperatures than increase the yield...

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Partial Confirmation of Room-Temperature Superconductivity
http://www.superconductors.org/ORNLCONF.htm
The original 2011 magnetization tests are shown above right for comparison. The Meissner transition in the plots represents about 10 milli-Gauss with a -10db noise floor. The original test pellet weighed about 1 gram. However, the O.R.N.L. sample was only 38.6 mg, producing a much weaker signal.

Resistance tests of this material at O.R.N.L. were inconclusive. Efforts are underway to increase the volume fraction of superconductive material within the bulk for future tests.
Good. Volume fraction matters more than Tc, for now, until the effect is widely duplicated.

scalziand

Post by scalziand »

It's still concerning that this independent confirmation has a signal struggling to rise above the noise.

DeltaV

Re: Joe Eck hits Tc = 65 C, 149 F

Post by DeltaV »

Asterix

Post by Asterix »

What troubles me about Eck's methodology is that he's only measurong one aspect of superconductor properties.

I'll be a believer when he fabricates a shape out of his stuff, induces a current and finds the current still flowing a month later.

Until then, we have no way to know if what he's got it really a superconductor or simply something that exhibits similar magnetic properties.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

My thoughts exactly. It is a great exploration of material properties, but someone needs to take it to a practical application vice a scientific novelty.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

DeltaV

Re: Joe Eck hits Tc = 77 C, 170 F

Post by DeltaV »

http://www.superconductors.org/77C.htm
Superconductors.ORG herein reports high Tc has been advanced to 77 Celsius (170F, 350K) with the discovery of the compound Tl7Sn2Ba2MnCu10O20+. This exceedingly high transition temperature (Tc) was achieved by substituting manganese into the titanium atomic sites of the 65 Celsius superconductor announced in January 2014. This substitution increases the dielectric constant (K) of the anion in the "light" region of the H212 structure1 by two orders of magnitude...

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

At this rate, we should soon be able to reach Tc by cooling the material with boiling water.

(Volume fraction improvement. Volume fraction improvement.)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I wonder if our South African friend's theory predicts these results.
Johann where are you?
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

ladajo wrote:My thoughts exactly. It is a great exploration of material properties, but someone needs to take it to a practical application vice a scientific novelty.
Someone here could probably crunch the numbers but with performance like what is claimed, seems to me one could build a superconducting motor or generator and cool it with crappy Peltier coolers that are at best 2-3% efficient and still have a serviceable devise that outperforms current superconducting systems by power density. Really in most environs, like those aboard a ship, the cooling system would just be backup. If Eck has what he says he has, the number of immediate applications are huge. Convincing investors to pay for independent evaluation (and later pay for manufacture) is the big trick, and they'll certainly want a large slice of the IP, but I'm sure Eck must have known this all along.

I am curious whether these compounds lend themselves to 3D printing. One of the big figures of merit for HTSC's has always been their flexibility or "bend radius" which continually improves, but if you can 3D print rotors and stators and such, you don't need to make wire and bend it for an application.

If it was me I'd go straight to Northrop Grumman and US Navy looking for development funds. Get this stuff on the Ford class.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis