Moller's Skycar Is Coming

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

williatw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Moller's Skycar Is Coming

Postby williatw » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:32 pm

paperburn1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Moller's Skycar Is Coming

Postby paperburn1 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:46 pm

I have been waiting for this to be true for 20 years, but I think he is just milking the cash cow of our dreams
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

kurt9

Postby kurt9 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:25 pm

Moller got in trouble with the SEC some years ago for claiming to prospective investigators that his "air car" was further along in development and ready to manufacturing when, in fact, it was not. There was an article about him in the Malaysian Straights Times that he was about to build a manufacturing facility near KL. This article was also a load of hype. I don't think Moller is a fraud. He really is trying to develop an air car. However, he seems to be jumping the gun. There are many technical issues to be overcome in the development of these things.

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:38 pm

The main trouble with Moller has always been there is no market for what he's building. It doesn't provide any more utility than a small heli except that it's smaller and a little faster, but its much more dangerous and the downwash is many times more dangerous to anyone on the ground. I've been a fan for ages too, and even own a couple M400 models, but I don't think he's got something here and last I heard the subsidiary (was it Freedom Motors?) still had not brought a single engine to market. It was dabbling in the watercraft field as waterborn applications simplify the cooling issue all ultra-high performance IC engines suffer, but they hadn't even built a single watercraft with the engine. Same trouble as Angel Labs.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

williatw

Postby williatw » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:03 pm

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:54 pm

No, that's not even close to true. It is far too wide to drive on the road and the downwash makes it a serious hazard to all those within 50 yards. Remember that Harriers can't be flown over asphalt because the ultra high velocity downwash generated by turbines as opposed to rotorcraft tears asphalt apart and sends it flying at death-dealing velocities. There is no solution to the downwash problem using ultra-high performance engines and small cross sectional lift areas.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

kunkmiester

Postby kunkmiester » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:22 pm

There has long been a healthy interest in a flying car. This one though, at iirc a million each last I heard, is FAR too expensive to serve the market. It might find a handful of niche uses and maybe even take some of the corporate helicopter and jet market, but who knows if there's enough of a market to support the company.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

williatw

Postby williatw » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:26 pm

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:35 pm

Yes, certainly the blast would not be so bad as with a Harrier. Point is though, this is not a Jetsons' sorta flying car. Most people don't consider downwash when they look at flying contraptions and it's a serious issue. Even the lithe SoloTrek had downwash issues. You can't make it a practice (certified by FAA) to slide into the 35th floor terrace parking slot with your Jetpack if it blows the flower pots onto the neighbor kids 20 floors below.

williatw

Postby williatw » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:16 pm

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:20 pm

All this is mute as the Israelis are already starting to build an aircar.

The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

williatw

Postby williatw » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:22 pm

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:35 pm

Anything there say how fast the exhaust is coming out the engines to push the car 30 mph? If it's like 250mph, doesn't seem much chance to me FAA will ever let them on the street.

williatw

Postby williatw » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:42 pm

williatw

Postby williatw » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:45 am

Return to “General”