MIT Climate Contest Ends Sunday Night! Lets Enter!

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mattman

MIT Climate Contest Ends Sunday Night! Lets Enter!

Post by mattman »

Hello,

The MIT Center for Collective Intelligence is accepting plans for solutions to the climate crisis.

Last year Dennis Petersen a heck of a good job getting Fusion into the mix. He did focus fusion, Polywells, RFC and Pinchs.

We all came out and voted and - we won. Why? Because fusion could have a BIG impact on fossil fuel use.

In November, Eric Lerner and polywell fans descended on Boston for the conference.

It was cool to see Dennis, sitting next to people like Dr. Jay Kesner.

The Contest Ends on Sunday. If we want to enter, someone needs to submit something soon!

MSimon

Re: MIT Climate Contest Ends Sunday Night! Lets Enter!

Post by MSimon »

mattman wrote:Hello,

The MIT Center for Collective Intelligence is accepting plans for solutions to the climate crisis.

Last year Dennis Petersen a heck of a good job getting Fusion into the mix. He did focus fusion, Polywells, RFC and Pinchs.

We all came out and voted and - we won. Why? Because fusion could have a BIG impact on fossil fuel use.

In November, Eric Lerner and polywell fans descended on Boston for the conference.

It was cool to see Dennis, sitting next to people like Dr. Jay Kesner.

The Contest Ends on Sunday. If we want to enter, someone needs to submit something soon!
What crisis? 17+ years with no warming.

Habibullo Abdussamatov says we are entering a little ice age.

It is all solar and ocean cycles

My suggestion: do nothing.

OTOH when it comes to energy....
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

never mind climatologist consensus. It doesn´t matter if there is or there is not a climate crysis. What important is that the solutions for a climate crysis result in a better, cleaner world.

China doesn´t need a climate crysis to decide they must focus on clearner energy. They have a pollution crysis that is more urgent than the climate crysis.

as long as it allows investment in solar and nuclear techs, I support any climate crysis. Even if it´s a little ice age... after all, if there is really a little ice age coming (data indicates otherwise), we will need plenty of energy to heat everything on high latitudes!

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

AcesHigh wrote:never mind climatologist consensus. It doesn´t matter if there is or there is not a climate crysis. What important is that the solutions for a climate crysis result in a better, cleaner world.

China doesn´t need a climate crysis to decide they must focus on clearner energy. They have a pollution crysis that is more urgent than the climate crysis.

as long as it allows investment in solar and nuclear techs, I support any climate crysis. Even if it´s a little ice age... after all, if there is really a little ice age coming (data indicates otherwise), we will need plenty of energy to heat everything on high latitudes!
Solar is not clean. And without storage it is not useful. i.e. requires generation duplication with fuel plants.

Data indicates otherwise? Well you are not looking at the data. Suppose the 17 year pause is the peak of a noisy sine wave? On top of that suppose we are headed to a Maunder type minimum in solar activity? And the evidence for a noisy sine wave? Temps have been declining ever so slightly for the last 6 or 8 years. Habibullo Abdussamatov (a solar scientist BTW) says we will start to see significant cooling this year and it will accelerate.

What you fail to get is that government has been paying for the climate papers it wants. And controlling the energy sector by popular mandate gives the government more power. Governments never want less power.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

choff

Post by choff »

My entry suggestion would be an older style coal fired plant without scrubbers. We desperately need all that soot and ash to cover the growing ice sheets before another ice age takes hold.
CHoff

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

choff wrote:My entry suggestion would be an older style coal fired plant without scrubbers. We desperately need all that soot and ash to cover the growing ice sheets before another ice age takes hold.
I think you may have a point. We need soot emitters on the winter ice sheets so they don't last through summer.

It will be a while before that sentiment is more general. As I have been saying for the last several years. We are preparing for the wrong disaster.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

MSimon wrote:Habibullo Abdussamatov (a solar scientist BTW) says we will start to see significant cooling this year and it will accelerate.
Looking at weather reports this year we may already be seeing significant cooling.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

Its only in the mid 90s here in Austin TX this July. Its also been raining more, later in the year than it has the last few years (usually the 'spring' storms are done by early june and they didn't seem to start until late may this year).

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Might be cooler here in the US, but it is a lot warmer on the other side of the globe...

zapkitty

Post by zapkitty »

Each El Nino has a multi-stage effect and a very large one is now underway.

I expect much postimg in this and similar threads during the current stage... not so much when the other shoes start dropping.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:Might be cooler here in the US, but it is a lot warmer on the other side of the globe...
Russia has been reporting a cool spell at around the same time the US had a chill.

So far 2 90F or above days in my town. Compare with 2012 - 30+ for that summer.

choff

Post by choff »

I wouldn't get too excited about El Nino.

http://bobtisdale.wordpress.com/2014/06 ... ino-dying/

Seriously, Polywell would be the best entry, because abundant cheap fusion reactors will offer the best chance for humanity to survive the coming ice age, we could afford to grow our food underground hydroponically and not worry about climate.
CHoff

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

choff wrote:I wouldn't get too excited about El Nino.

http://bobtisdale.wordpress.com/2014/06 ... ino-dying/

Seriously, Polywell would be the best entry, because abundant cheap fusion reactors will offer the best chance for humanity to survive the coming ice age, we could afford to grow our food underground hydroponically and not worry about climate.
LED lights are just starting to come into their own for grow ops.