BLP news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

JLawson

Re: BLP news

Post by JLawson »

birchoff wrote:
JLawson wrote:
After watching the demonstration again, I have a hard time convincing myself it isn't a fraud. Aside from the obvious things that I've detailed above, the fact that they weren't acting like this was some mysterious, high-energy source was interesting. I believe I saw a mention of soft x-rays - unless they'd had everyone put on lead jockstraps in addition to the cheap safety glasses, that didn't seem a concern.

I've seen better setups in SF movies.
Soft xrays carry less energy than their more powerful brother hard xrays so the fact that they say the reaction generates them is a non issue as they wont make it out side of the reaction camber much less to where the observers are watching from(See here for a more official explaination).

As for the lack of wonder... Like everyone here has said before supporters and skeptics included, they have been proposing this theory and similar devices for a long time now. From the perspective of mills and the lab techs this is probably demo number "too many to remember". As for the spectators, one group of them were said to have been validators of the technology, so I can understand the lack of enthusiasm. As for the rest of the spectators you could have a point. But that depends on whether or not this is a followup demonstration for the same investors or a mixture of new and existing investors.
My mistake there - I was thinking x-rays were x-rays were 'shield the body at the dentist' sort of things. My bad on that - learn something new every day around this place...
When opinion and reality conflict - guess which one is going to win in the long run.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Blacklight Power got 11 million in funding from this round. Guess their presentations impressed investors:
http://www.blacklightpower.com/whats-new/
Wonder whether that means they will disappear again for a few years only to reemerge with an even more outlandish claim.

birchoff

Post by birchoff »

Skipjack wrote:Blacklight Power got 11 million in funding from this round. Guess their presentations impressed investors:
Wonder whether that means they will disappear again for a few years only to reemerge with an even more outlandish claim.
time will tell..

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

birchoff wrote:
Skipjack wrote:Blacklight Power got 11 million in funding from this round. Guess their presentations impressed investors:
time will tell..
Exactly. I think that if they disappear again for more than a few months, they are almost certainly a fraud.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Why should the period for which they end their fund-raising have anything to do with whether they are a fraud?

They need a specific amount of cash to do a specific amount of work, an are doing demos to get that cash. Once they get it they will return to the quiet work they have been doing for about 20 years now. How long they are working quietly doesn't seem to me to have anything to do with whether they're a fraud or not.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

GIThruster wrote:Why should the period for which they end their fund-raising have anything to do with whether they are a fraud?

They need a specific amount of cash to do a specific amount of work, an are doing demos to get that cash. Once they get it they will return to the quiet work they have been doing for about 20 years now. How long they are working quietly doesn't seem to me to have anything to do with whether they're a fraud or not.
Because they announced that they were close to commercializing their technology (18 weeks to the first self sustaining prototype). If they disappear again for years, it is a good indicator that they were lying.

birchoff

Post by birchoff »

Skipjack wrote:
birchoff wrote:
time will tell..
Exactly. I think that if they disappear again for more than a few months, they are almost certainly a fraud.
If they disappear for longer than they claimed it will take for the engineering firm to build their field prototype without any information on why then its most likely a fraud. But my money is that they will at least either hit that deadline or post some news on a delay of some sort.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

or post some news on a delay of some sort.
This is where my money is. They are scamming, and in the classic behaviour of all scammers, they will post undefined delays and excuses once pressured.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

ladajo wrote:
This is where my money is. They are scamming, and in the classic behaviour of all scammers, they will post undefined delays and excuses once pressured.
They are good at it, and have lots of practise, so expect a masterclass.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Uh oh! So BLP is now suing everybody who claims that their stuff is a fraud...
Better be careful with what we say here ;)
Of course that would require them to proof that their stuff is not a fraud. That could become interesting. Most likely it will end up getting settled out of court somehow.

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

maybe they believe their own lies?

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

tomclarke wrote:
ladajo wrote:
They are good at it, and have lots of practise, so expect a masterclass.
They don't fit the pattern of a scammer. A scammer would never waste the time to write a 1,200 page book and them amend it constantly for more than a decade. No matter how wrong these people may be, they believe they're right. Unless you have evidence they don't believe in what they're doing, it is uncharitable to call them "scammers".
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Asterix

Post by Asterix »

GIThruster wrote:They don't fit the pattern of a scammer. A scammer would never waste the time to write a 1,200 page book and them amend it constantly for more than a decade. No matter how wrong these people may be, they believe they're right. Unless you have evidence they don't believe in what they're doing, it is uncharitable to call them "scammers".
Let's just call their claims "dubious", then. As far as that 1200 page book, don't neglect the force of ego. On a dollars-per-page ROI basis, it was a pretty good move.

Several have said that the latest demonstrations were the result of BLP needing more cash. With the announcement of $11M in additional financing, it looks like the pundits were right.

A lawsuit (or threat thereof) proves nothing. BLP is perfectly free to make their own editorial contributions to Wikipedia. Let's be very clear here--BLP is claiming that their process relies on something that is not supported by mainstream physics. Conclusively proving otherwise is going to be very difficult if they are called on to do it.

Remember, Uri Geller sued James Randi.

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

GIThruster wrote: They don't fit the pattern of a scammer. A scammer would never waste the time to write a 1,200 page book and them amend it constantly for more than a decade. No matter how wrong these people may be, they believe they're right. Unless you have evidence they don't believe in what they're doing, it is uncharitable to call them "scammers".
sorry GI, but I must ask if you have evidence that Dr Sonny White does not believe in what he is doing. Because basically, you called him a scammer here in this forum... people on NASA SpaceFlight Forums read that thread here at Talk Polywell and everybody is doubting the quality of this forum because of your very harsh allegations about Dr White...

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

NSF will complain about this forum anyway because of the General subforum. And how much more lax TP is, overall.

e.g.
Star One wrote:
aceshigh wrote:
Star One wrote: Reading around in various places there seems to be quite a bit of growing support for thinking the Mach effect is at work here and at the same time Dr White's explanation seems to be under be a good deal of scrutiny of close scrutiny.
links to these discussions would be welcome :)
Unfortunately quite a bit is on the Polywell forum & I am unsure about linking to that now as it heavily features what appears to be a banned member from here?
Taboo alert!
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.