Is Publicity Wanted?

Discuss ways to make polywell research more widely known or better understood. Includes education and outreach.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Is Publicity Wanted?

Post by KitemanSA »

At this point, while awaiting the results of the review committee, is general publicity wanted?

Should folks be writing to the editor, sending in commentary, providing copy for the science or business pages, calling in to talk shows, etc?

Would an article about the FBO pre-solicitations and a short blurb about the concept be desirable now?

Is publicity wanted?

Dr. Nebel?

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

I have a hard time believing it is. Dr. Nebel earlier called the results he got from the reconstructed device (call it WB-7) "nuanced", by which I take it to mean it's hardly clear what the next steps are.

Rick Kwan

breaking the two minute barrier

Post by Rick Kwan »

In light of the Google "Project 10 to the 100", I assume that publicity would now be a good thing. I thought I saw someone quote Dr. Nebel saying that the review was in, the results were promising, and they're simply waiting for the Navy evaluation on where to go next.

If I understand correctly from the Fund-Raising forum, bobshipp has submitted a proposal to fund EMC2 to build a WB-8 dodecahedron device. While the proposal may not get funding from Google, it ought to get decent publicity. It would be nice to get some sort of honorable mention.

I only discovered polywell fusion a few weeks ago; I'm not a nuclear physics person. It's taken me weeks in my spare time to scratch the surface. If I'm struggling through this, I can imagine how much slower a concerned, but non-physics person is going to be.

I believe the amount of presentation time one could expect with a venture capitalist is about two minutes. (Actually, "elevator talks" are even shorter.) When members of the Google advisory panel prepare to consider topics, that is probably the amount of time they will give each topic. (Hopefully, some of them have already been exposed to Dr. Bussard's presentation at Google.)

Back in the other forum, I noted the following:
But the publicity will not simply happen by itself. There needs to be materials which are aimed at:
1. general public -- how does this affect them
2. venture capitalists -- what needs to be funded, what are the risks
3. science geeks -- how does this compare with other fusion approaches, links to references; this can probably be subdivided further.
A 30-60 second YouTube video for the general public would also be good. It should point somewhere for more info; the question is, where?

I know people here have various websites with good info, but I don't know of anything that helps the new reader (in one of the above three categories) quickly get to the part they're interested in. Is there anything? I hate to just point the new person to the Wikipedia entry, although the entry there is not bad.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The sidebar at http://iecfusiontech.blogspot.com/ has a newbies section.

However, there is no 30 second explanation that I am aware of.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Rick Kwan

Post by Rick Kwan »

Are you referring to the "Polywell Primer" section or something else? I might send the technically inclined there -- that kind of newbie. I wouldn't send the venture capitalist there; some philanthropists maybe, others no. Am I missing something?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Rick Kwan wrote:
Are you referring to the "Polywell Primer" section or something else? I might send the technically inclined there -- that kind of newbie. I wouldn't send the venture capitalist there; some philanthropists maybe, others no. Am I missing something?
No. That is it. Some technically inclined folks have given the sidebar high marks.

OTOH if you want the idiots guide here it is: a short cut to fusion.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Rick Kwan

Post by Rick Kwan »

Link? I tried googling, but the top hits were to a popular software product for Intel Macs. :wink:

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Rick Kwan wrote:
Link? I tried googling, but the top hits were to a popular software product for Intel Macs. :wink:
I think you have misinterpreted my intent. ;-)

Let me try again: Polywell is a shortcut to fusion.

Rick Kwan

Post by Rick Kwan »

Heh. Somehow that was my first reaction. :lol:

After picking myself off the floor, I decided I might be reading in too much and should double-check. I also did some more looking for "a short cut to fusion", landed on a bunch of articles about cold fusion, and lost my sense of humor.

Before I attempt to do a dummies page myself (I am emiment qualified to judge the level of content....), I'm going to do some more searching.

FYI, I just stumbled onto this page, have not examined it closely, but it seems to be a step in the right dummies direction. It even discusses other fusion approaches, including polywell.
http://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/category/C38/
The main page of the website is really devoted to their own brand of fusion.