Joe Eck hits Tc = 187 C, 368 F

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Re: Joe Eck hits Tc = 77 C, 170 F

Post by ladajo »

As I recall, Eck talked previously about the difficulty of manufacturing any usable quanity of his compounds. I don't remember any specifics, just something to that effect. I could also be completely out to lunch on it. I am not bothered to look it up right now. Maybe later, or someone else remembers/looks it up.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

pbelter

Post by pbelter »

ladajo wrote:I wonder if our South African friend's theory predicts these results.
Johann where are you?

He is still out there. I just found his patent application for "Electrical Conductor". The patent details say it is a superconductor.
It was published on Jan 30, 2014

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20140027788

Seems though that it was originally applied for in 2012

http://www.sumobrain.com/patents/wipo/E ... 40611.html

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Now we get to see what he does with it!

Yeah for Johan!
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Best of luck Dr Prins!
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Nice find, pbelter.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I agree, and meant to say that earlier. Nice find.

DeltaV

Re: Joe Eck hits Tc = 95 C, 203 F

Post by DeltaV »

http://www.superconductors.org/95C.htm

Boiling water just 5 degC away...

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Boiling water is an interesting choice of milestones. I can boil water at 95C by reducing pressure a little, but most commercial uses of it use elevated pressure. But steam would seem to be the enemy ... Eck reminds us that the copper oxides are highly hydroscopic, and his tests are done soon after annealing.

Just about every application I can think of for room temperature superconductors would not involve steam, which I generally associate with the sort of Promethean technologies Watt would have considered revolutionary. HTC is for 21st-century thinking, not 18th.

When do I get this in wire form? Probably as a powder packed into a metal tube, hermetically-sealed. ;)

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Well of course steam is a reference to turbines and generating electricity, and steam turbines operate under pressure so you can't reduce the pressure and have a decent turbine.

What you can do is step up to 21st century technology and plan to use a supercritical CO2 turbine. They're smaller, lighter, and vastly more efficient than water/steam turbines, but one wants to operate them much hotter so Eck has a ways to go yet.

DOE has cash to burn for these things. Does anyone know if Joe is tapped into the funding keg?
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Excuse me? The reason to shoot for 100+ºC transition temperature is to keep the thing easily cooled below said temperature. Just stick it in a pipe full of unpressurized water.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Given that an operating superconductor doesn't produce heat, the cooling system just has to deal with heat from outside. Which might be a lot of heat in a fusion reactor. 95C is plenty warm for most applications, if you can get wire to deliver bulk superconductivity.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

hanelyp wrote:Given that an operating superconductor doesn't produce heat, the cooling system just has to deal with heat from outside. Which might be a lot of heat in a fusion reactor. 95C is plenty warm for most applications, if you can get wire to deliver bulk superconductivity.
The superconductor doesn't produce heat, but the splices often do.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

hanelyp wrote:Given that an operating superconductor doesn't produce heat, the cooling system just has to deal with heat from outside. Which might be a lot of heat in a fusion reactor. 95C is plenty warm for most applications, if you can get wire to deliver bulk superconductivity.
Well that is not strictly true. Micro instabilities produce small amounts of heat.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

DeltaV

Re: Joe Eck hits Tc = 110 C, 230 F

Post by DeltaV »

paperburn1

Re: Joe Eck hits Tc = 110 C, 230 F

Post by paperburn1 »

Everybody keeps ignoring the 400 pound gorilla in the room. Any temperature above the boiling point of CO2 is a good working temperature. What I need to be is the product available in quality, quantity and at a price point that meets copper wiring. Then I can start making neat stuff with it
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.