A Sequel to The Google Talk

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Tom Ligon

A Sequel to The Google Talk

Post by Tom Ligon »

I know all of you know about Dr. Bussard's famous talk to Google.

Now we can add to that Dr. Park's talk to Microsoft.

I doubt you'll find a lot new in the data presented from some of the talks we've seen earlier, but this is a video and it seems to me some of the slides are new.

Nobody in the front row. Nobody wants the splash zone if it might be radioactive?

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/vide ... 238715&r=1

Tom Ligon

Re: A Sequel to The Google Talk

Post by Tom Ligon »

Are you guys getting this to play right? I keep locking up at the Question on Plasma Stability slide. My browser stops loading at that point.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

I don't have 80 minutes to rule it out, but I can seek around the length of the video, and it seems to load fine. Google Chrome, latest version.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

CelticWarrior72

Post by CelticWarrior72 »

That video was great. Very encouraging. I think they are going to do it too.

Teemu

Post by Teemu »

Tom Ligon wrote:Are you guys getting this to play right? I keep locking up at the Question on Plasma Stability slide. My browser stops loading at that point.
If you have trouble with playing it on your browser, you could download the whole video as mp4 or wmv. I just downloaded both of them my hard drive, it took like 2-3 min each, and they work fine. Press the download button below the video, then right-click either Video (MP4) or Video (WMV) and select Save link / Save .

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

Indeed, some of the slides are new like this one: :D

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I just got the link to the video from my friend Clyde. I have started it playing in Firefox. It looks good so far.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

OK. I got a failure about 23 minutes in. The download works.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

wizz33

Post by wizz33 »

direct video link http://msrvideo.vo.msecnd.net/rmcvideos ... 238715.mp4
edit i want the slides

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

MSimon wrote:OK. I got a failure about 23 minutes in. The download works.
Close to the same point as me, and I'm also using Firefox. I'm locking up at 26 minutes. That's the second thing Firefox has not handled properly in the last day (the other was failure to read a valid security certificate).

It may be no accident that a Microsoft website is locking up Firefox? Or am I being cynical?

I'll download it.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I used Safari. It always works, even when nefarious places like google try to scare you that it won't.

Was a good presentation, but I'd like to know where the $300M figure came from for a 2 meter chamber. I would not have guessed within an order of magnitude even if I built in the cost of a large staff working for ten years. The thing doesn't even have cooling! Where did that number come from? I think they're paddin' the guesstimate some and not really skillful at how to make an estimate to begin with, and it's a shame because they might get $30M but I doubt they'll get $300M.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Maybe because at Microsoft, $300M is "just a handful of McMansions?"

Ah, to have money! I'm too used to poor-boying, even in fusion R&D. Most of us here probably have a hard time thinking on that scale.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

2 meter radius coils, not chamber. Those must be some kind of electron injectors to jump to closed cusps.

And that is nearly 1 GW net (over plasma heating which does not include auxiliaries, nor power after electric conversion).
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Awesome. It even has the spiky ball.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Actually the recently couple of versions of Firefox have been utter crap. I think they've inflated themselves a bit and moved away from the simplicity they once were. As for safari, I avoid it due to known security issues, but since it is a low market share, you're probably safe. Chrome lacks a lot of standard features of other browsers yet, but it's getting there. I won't speak to IE, we all know what's wrong there.