Joe Eck hits Tc = 187 C, 368 F

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Re: Joe Eck hits Tc = 110 C, 230 F

Post by KitemanSA »

paperburn1 wrote:Everybody keeps ignoring the 400 pound gorilla in the room. Any temperature above the boiling point of CO2 is a good working temperature. What I need to be is the product available in quality, quantity and at a price point that meets copper wiring. Then I can start making neat stuff with it
It is a good working temperaturefor many things. But for long distance commercial transmission of power, he is just now getting into the proper range.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I have to agree wholeheartedly with that statement. Transmission of commercial power just because of its scale means that the cooling medium will literally have to cost pennies per ton.

My main disappointment with this technology is it will probably never be available in my lifetime . The upside, it took Edison's labs years of tinkering with light bulbs before they finally found one that would meet the minimum requirements of being industrial usefulness. Hopefully this is the path the Joe's on and he has success in the near future.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Actually there are some very great conveniences to have that provide economies for several applications, if you can get it working up above 88*F, or the critical temperature of CO2. Next gen there won't be any steam turbines as the supercritical CO2 turbines are fabulously efficient, and for that you really want above 88*F and 73 atmospheres.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

DeltaV

Re: Joe Eck hits Tc = 119 C, 246 F

Post by DeltaV »

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Every time I look at Joe Eck's site I am astonished. Isn't he planning to take this stuff to market? Why does he publish so much detail of his discoveries online? Does he realize this hugely impedes his ability to file for patent, and that once this stuff is in the public domain it is really too late to get a patent or even pursue the technology as a trade secret?
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

GIThruster wrote:Every time I look at Joe Eck's site I am astonished. Isn't he planning to take this stuff to market? Why does he publish so much detail of his discoveries online? Does he realize this hugely impedes his ability to file for patent, and that once this stuff is in the public domain it is really too late to get a patent or even pursue the technology as a trade secret?
Joe has a BIG problem. He can't show a bulk effect. Until he can make SCs that can be used he has only a lab curiosity.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I was under the impression he had already shown both Meisner and 4 point electric probe testing. Those are the two gold standards for any SC testing. Are you aware of actual bulk tests that have failed?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

GIThruster wrote:I was under the impression he had already shown both Meisner and 4 point electric probe testing. Those are the two gold standards for any SC testing. Are you aware of actual bulk tests that have failed?
All I can tell is what I can see from the graphs. If he can show the Meisner effect at room temperature why hasn't he published some pictures? That wouldn't be hard.

If what he is getting is real and bulk it shouldn't be difficult to demonstrate and get investors. If all he has is anomalies on sections of a graph, making the sale is going to be much harder.

You have to wonder why American Superconductors hasn't hired him? They operate without patents. Or Columbus in Italy. He could make a nice living advising them even without a patent.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Meisner effect levitation at room temperature would certainly get attention. A loop maintaining a current for an extended period at room temperature would be pretty hard to deny as superconductivity, baring allegations of fraud.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

The industry standard is very simple: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-terminal_sensing

If he's not using it, one wants to know why. This does not require large samples, just large enough to separate out the voltage and current by using 4 contacts. Likewise, Meissnar Effect does not require all that much. All you need is enough room to use a magnetometer and show there is no field in a specific location. There are all sorts of precise magentometers that can be used for this. It's not state of the art mumbo jumbo.

Teemu

Post by Teemu »

Since the volume fraction of the superconductive phase is only around 0.1% of the bulk, this means the correlation is 200 to 400 times as great as the VF. This is likely due to the "proximity effect", where nearby non-superconducting molecules take on superconductive properties. In this case those properties include a coherency of lattice vibrations that suppresses random vibrations. Since the proximity effect typically extends outward hundreds of Angstroms,2 a single superconductive unit cell can easily affect an equivalent volume 200 to 400 times as great.
He doesn't seem to actually show that there is any individual superconducting areas in the sample. Rather he seems to have graphs magnetization and resistance graphs for the whole sample and he concludes that when there is a non-linearity both in resistance and magnetization curves at the same temperature, that is sign of very low volume, possibly as small as 0.1% volume fraction superconductivity.

But couldn't that be other kind of non-linear change? Some metals move from close packed hcp or fcc lattice to bcc when temperature passes certain point. Cuprates also don't change always linearly with temperature, if I recall correctly, they all go through at least one, some several, non-linear lattice changes at certain temperatures, when cooled from room temperature to superconducting temperatures.

The record for ambient pressure bulk superconductivity has stood it's ground at 134K since 1993. Why doesn't he use his recipe to break that? It would get huge attention, and would be easy to repeat and clear proof.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

It sounds like he is relying on chance to assemble the necessary superlattice for superconductivity and then looking for and finding it. If that's true and he is only seeing 0.1% in a bulk, this may be why he's waiting.

There are several ways to deliberately nano-assemble superlattices and if he decides on one formula, then he could pursue one of those methods for mass production of a much higher content, even approaching 100%.

If this is what's he's doing, he seems to be making wise decisions. Why pay for expensive nano=assembly for something that SC's at100*f when waiting gives you 246*f ?

Sure hope he's got what he claims.

Post by 303 »

as he pastes the layer design cant someone make or get a sample of one his older recipes and check it themselves ?

scalziand

Post by scalziand »

Supposedly he's done it again.

http://www.superconductors.org/400K_SC.htm

One wishes that Joe would use his PWD and high K effect insights to create a compound that would both form stoichiometrically with high yield and break the record.

DeltaV

Re: Joe Eck hits Tc = 129 C, 264 F

Post by DeltaV »

Mott Transitions Confirm 120C Superconductor
http://www.superconductors.org/Mott120C.htm