Endocannabinoids Are In Every Animal With A Backbone

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Endocannabinoids Are In Every Animal With A Backbone

Post by MSimon »

You can look it up.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Re: Endocannabinoids Are In Every Animal With A Backbone

Post by KitemanSA »

Why?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:Why?
Science.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Teemu

Post by Teemu »

Every multicellular organism has endocrine system. Since all multicellular organisms have hormones, this means that steroids are obviously good and any ban or regulations on anykind of steroids should obviously be abolished. :P

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Teemu wrote:Every multicellular organism has endocrine system. Since all multicellular organisms have hormones, this means that steroids are obviously good and any ban or regulations on anykind of steroids should obviously be abolished. :P
Endocannabinoids imply nothing about the usefulness or otherwise of anything that could up or down regulate the endocannabinoid system. We do know that that the system naturally fights cancer cells through apoptosis. We also know that omega3 fatty acids are used by the body to create endocannabinoids.

http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/omeg ... fact-sheet

Blood fat (triglycerides). Fish oil supplements can lower elevated triglyceride levels. Having high levels of this blood fat puts you at risk for heart disease. DHA alone has also been shown to lower triglycerides.

Rheumatoid arthritis. Fish oil supplements (EPA+DHA) can curb stiffness and joint pain. Omega-3 supplements also seem to boost the effectiveness of anti-inflammatory drugs.

Depression. Some researchers have found that cultures that eat foods with high levels of omega-3s have lower levels of depression. Fish oil also seems to boost the effects of antidepressants and may help the depressive symptoms of bipolar disorder.

Baby development. DHA appears to be important for visual and neurological development in infants.

Asthma. A diet high in omega-3s lowers inflammation, a key component in asthma. But more studies are needed to show if fish oil supplements improve lung function or cut the amount of medication a person needs to control the condition.

ADHD. Some studies show that fish oil can reduce the symptoms of ADHD in some children and improve their mental skills, like thinking, remembering, and learning. But more research is needed in this area, and omega-3 supplements should not be used as a primary treatment.

Alzheimer's disease and dementia. Some research suggests that omega-3s may help protect against Alzheimer's disease and dementia, and have a positive effect on gradual memory loss linked to aging. But that's not certain yet.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/omega-3/

Omega-3 fatty acids (also known as n-3 fatty acids) are polyunsaturated fatty acids that are essential nutrients for health. We need omega-3 fatty acids for numerous normal body functions, such as controlling blood clotting and building cell membranes in the brain, and since our bodies cannot make omega-3 fats, we must get them through food. Omega-3 fatty acids are also associated with many health benefits, including protection against heart disease and possibly stroke. New studies are identifying potential benefits for a wide range of conditions including cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, and other autoimmune diseases such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Well this is interesting:
I just recently discovered that there is such a thing as Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency (CECD) while researching into fibromyalgia. It's actually on the NIH website -- a government site -- yet treatment for it, using medicinal cannabis, is illegal in the U.S.

Anyway, tonight I thought about doing a web search on "autism and fibromyalgia" and discovered that these are widely considered common comorbidities for females on the autism spectrum. I did a search then on autism and CECD, and there were a lot of results for that as well, including an article from a science publication that cited some positive findings relating the two. Of course, I'm not saying CECD is the cause of autism or that medicinal cannabis is the cure because that would be a huge jump, but I find it very compelling that the same genetic mutations that cause autism (in mice, at least) have been shown to be responsible for CECD.

I wish I'd known to look for studies on these things while I was still enrolled in college since those databases would be great right now... I hate only being able to read the abstracts.

http://dev.wrongplanet.net/forums/viewt ... &p=6458757
Clinical endocannabinoid deficiency (CECD) revisited: can this concept explain the therapeutic benefits of cannabis in migraine, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome and other treatment-resistant conditions?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24977967

==

http://www.researchecs.com/CECD3.pdf