SpaceX News

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

jcoady

Re: SpaceX News

Post by jcoady »

SpaceX won't attempt to land on barge today to recover first stage due to stormy seas.

http://www.spacex.com/press/2015/02/11/ ... nch-update

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

What am I going to do with three days of popcorn?!
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Aww poop.

Maybe they will fly IVO the barge for the soft splash.

Personally, I say go for it, the barge proved last time it is purdy darn durable. :)
Of course, it is not my money...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

3 story waves. . .seems like they'd at best make a nasty mess of the barge. Even if they landed the stage, wouldn't you expect it to topple over?
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

GIThruster wrote:3 story waves. . .seems like they'd at best make a nasty mess of the barge. Even if they landed the stage, wouldn't you expect it to topple over?
The rocket, or the barge? :roll:

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I was thinking the rocket but the barge isn't very big compared to such waves. It could go over too!

JonP

Post by JonP »

For those who missed it today, (well, today the 11th, it's 12th now by a bit) great launch, check... successful 2nd stage burn, check, successful 2nd burn of 2nd stage for enough dV for the L1 point, check, and successful payload separation, check!

Also heard the 1st went in to the drink nice and level, might have stayed standing on a platform if it wouldn't have been looking like a bad day on the Behring Sea out there.

And clear skies with sunset lighting... was visually a very nice launch.
Available for replay here: http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Thanks for that. Funny how we all got our hopes up for the tail landing and ignored the fact they had another success, which is of course just what is needed.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Much as I like to hear that the launch was a success, the purpose of this particular payload is not so clear to me.

I'm all for having a solar observatory at L1, but there is in fact already a good one in geosynchronous orbit doing what this "new" one (in mothballs since the '90s) is supposed to do. It is called SDO, and I check it daily. We have a couple more positioned around the Sun, but their orbits are not stationary and they could use some help getting better coverage.

I guess they're planning to replace SOHO, but it is not clear to me that this particular dust-covered instrument is much better than that aging bird.

http://helioviewer.org/

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

DSCOVR is not replacing SOHO, its replacing "the Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE) satellite which is nearly 20 years old and far beyond its original design lifetime." (from the Universe Today article on the launch).

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

IIRC, solar L1 is the best place to get accurate measurements of the Earth's total reflectivity, and hence albedo, and power in/out. It's probably the best remedy for the global warming arguments and I'm pretty sure this is what the instrument was originally designed for. I think Bush cancelled it because he was not onboard with the AGW craze.

Maui

Post by Maui »

krenshala wrote:its replacing "the Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE) satellite which is nearly 20 years old and far beyond its original design lifetime."
Ironically, DSCOVR is not all that much younger...

Can I just say that, yes, I'm glad they completed yet another mission successfully, but as someone that has been following closely awaiting a successful landing-- how tortuous! (Is this how Cubs fans feel?)

CRS-5 12/16 -> 12/19 (SpaceX requests additional prep time)
CRS-5 12/19 -> 1/6 (Static fire test issue)
CRS-5 1/6->1/9 (Actuator drift)
CRS-5 1/9->1/10 (???)
CRS-5 1/10 (Landing failed; hydraulic fluid shortage)
DSCOVR 1/31 -> 2/8 (insurance issue with Air Force?)
DSCOVR 2/8 -> 2/9 (range radar)
DSCOVR 2/9 -> 2/10 (probable bad weather, maximize launch opportunities)
DSCOVR 2/10 -> 2/11 (weather)
DSCOVR 2/11 -> (Waves prevent landing attempt)
Eutelsat 2/27 (GTO; no legs)
TurkmenSat 3/15 (GTO; no legs)
CRS-6 4/8 ....

JonP

Post by JonP »

Tom Ligon wrote:Much as I like to hear that the launch was a success, the purpose of this particular payload is not so clear to me.
Another use is supposed to be a bit of heads up time on incoming Solar weather... not sure how much useful time it can give, but maybe like the earthquake early warning system, it might be worth 15-60min notice on "yes, this incoming wave of particles will be as bad as expected" to be able to shut down sats and power grids, etc...

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

At a million km from Earth it will be a bit over 3 light seconds away, however, the particles move much slower so it should give us at least a few minutes warning.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

up to an hour but most likely 30 min or less.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.