A Sequel to The Google Talk

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mvanwink5

Re: A Sequel to The Google Talk

Post by mvanwink5 »

I'm interested in investing a couple of McTentCampers worth of money... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

mvanwink5 wrote:I'm interested in investing a couple of McTentCampers worth of money... :lol: :lol: :lol:
You might want to keep an eye on this:

viewtopic.php?p=119630#p119630
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Did anyone else notice that Dr Parks involked edge annealing of ions when answering a question about ions thremalizing over a theoretical confinement time of up to 0.5 seconds. He conceeded that ions will be thermalized- but then accelerated by the potential well an equal amount. This is another way of saying that edge annealing at low energy results in appx. the same peak ion energy when they fall down their potential well...

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

D Tibbets wrote:Did anyone else notice that Dr Parks involked edge annealing of ions when answering a question about ions thremalizing over a theoretical confinement time of up to 0.5 seconds. He conceeded that ions will be thermalized- but then accelerated by the potential well an equal amount. This is another way of saying that edge annealing at low energy results in appx. the same peak ion energy when they fall down their potential well...

Dan Tibbets
That has been the general consensus around here for a few years.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Yes, but Park said it so we know EMC2 is on board with that model. Question is though if there is data to support it.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Another possibly interesting observation from Dr Park's presentation: The movie of the plasma guns firing shows plasma meeting to the right of center. I suspect the timing was off between the guns by a fraction of a micro second. Either that or the small B field compression in that area led to the effect. The two dimensional view of the B fields in that region would be where the B field extends most- it is a peak between cusps. A bar (or disk) of plasma is formed where the two plasma blobs meet and stagnate. This seems to oscillate some and rotate (tilt instability?) before relaxing into a diffuse plasma. The B fields, while not being optimized for such, may have acted somewhat like a field reversed configuration for a brief time (up to a couple of microseconds). If so, it was a poor example and didn't have much significance in the experiment. Still, it's interesting...

[Edit] The movie is at ~ 45 minutes into the talk.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I guess you're talking about that wiggling, squirming little wiffleball they caught on high speed video, with what looks like the bar in a barred spiral galaxy in the middle. Yeah, not optimally symmetrical due to using only two guns, he said. That should mean it only gets better from here.

Knowing the power needed to inflate a wiffleball was the main achievement. If they can get the next round of funding they can go for pretty, and also neutrons. I think I'd want some decent shielding when they do. Maybe not in a strip of shops in a light industrial center.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

I hear you can get funding if you're in Vancouver, BC.

choff

Post by choff »

If the same people that can afford a house here can chip in then yeah, doable. Unfortunately most of them are mortgaged to the gills.
CHoff