Opposing Prohibition On Christian Grounds

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Opposing Prohibition On Christian Grounds

Post by MSimon »

http://reason.com/blog/2015/05/07/marij ... dvances-in

Remember David Simpson, the self-described constitutional conservative who opposes marijuana prohibition on Christian grounds and wants to legalize the plant in Texas? Yesterday his legalization bill, which eliminates marijuana offenses (except for sales to minors) from the Texas criminal code, cleared the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee, making it theoretically possible that it will get a floor vote. The committee vote was 5 to 2, with Simpson (R-Longview) joined by one Republican, Todd Hunter (Corpus Christi), and three Democrats—Abel Herrero (Robstown), Joe Moody (El Paso), and Terry Canales (Edinburg)—in supporting the bill. Jeff Leach and Matt Shaheen, both Republicans representing the Dallas suburb of Plano, voted no.

Simpson's bill, H.B. 2165, is the third marijuana reform measure to win committee approval this week. On Monday the Criminal Jurisprudence Committee voted 4 to 2 in favor of H.B. 507, which would make possessing up to an ounce of marijuana a civil offense punishable by a $100 fine.

==========================

http://reason.com/blog/2015/03/04/the-c ... axnbp:hWA2

As a Christian, I recognize the innate goodness of everything God made and humanity's charge to be stewards of the same.

In fact, it's for this reason that I'm especially cautious when it comes to laws banning plants. I don't believe that when God made marijuana he made a mistake that government needs to fix.

============================

In the name of protecting the public, certain substances have been declared evil and contraband. So evil are these substances that state and federal agents are empowered to enforce laws with little or no regard for constitutional protections of individual rights, the sanctity of one's home or the right to travel freely....

Our current "war on drugs" policies [are] spurring a proliferation of ever-changing exotic designer drugs and a disregard for contitutional protections in the name of eliminating drugs at any cost. Just think of no-knock warrants, stop-and-frisk, civil asset forfeiture and billionaire drug lords.

The time has come for a thoughtful discussion of the prudence of the prohibition approach to drug abuse, the impact of prohibition enforcement on constitutionally protected liberties and the responsibilities that individuals must take for their own actions....

Should we be concerned for our friends and neighbors who abuse a substance or activity? Yes, we should help them through sincere and voluntary engagement, but not with force and violence.

Is there a place for prohibition? Yes, a prohibition of aggression (Romans 13). Our laws should prohibit and penalize violent acts. This is the jurisdiction of the magistrates under the new covenant—harm to one's neighbor.

Civil government should value everything God made and leave people alone unless they meddle with their neighbor.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Scupperer

Re: Opposing Prohibition On Christian Grounds

Post by Scupperer »

Ironic, since the 1st law was to stay away from a particular plant. Also the 1st law broken...
Perrin Ehlinger

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

First law was to stay away from a plant? Which one? Not familiar with that from that Bible.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (Genesis 2:16-17)
and to paraphrase the rest of the story
Eve looked at the fruit on the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and saw that it looked fresh and delicious. She thought the fruit would make her wise like the serpent said it would. Eve was convinced! She picked the fruit and ate it, and she gave some to Adam to eat, too.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

Wasn't quite thinking that far back. I wouldn't equate that with weed though.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

palladin9479

Post by palladin9479 »

kunkmiester wrote:Wasn't quite thinking that far back. I wouldn't equate that with weed though.
It's a plant who's consumption was prohibited by an entity of unquestionable authority and wisdom (if your a religious type). The results of which was a human ignoring the authority and eating it anyway.

Kind of demonstrates how humans will do whatever they want if they want it badly enough. It's strangely applicable to the current state of affairs in that prohibition hasn't stopped or even slowed the consumption of recreational drugs.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

palladin9479 wrote:It's a plant who's consumption was prohibited by an entity of unquestionable authority and wisdom (if your a religious type).
That is hands down the most idiotic statement I've ever read in this forum. Congratulations for a new low in intellectual banter.

Someone, anyone please tell me, how in the story of Adam and Eve in the garden, God can be painted as having "questionable authority and wisdom"?

This is why people who don't believe anything in the bible should leave interpreting it to others who will not so readily display their ignorance, foolishness and perverse desire to make it say what it does not.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Scupperer

Post by Scupperer »

Hey, I was just going for the Theologically Humorous Conceit, but the Tepid Hyperbolic Connection might be strong.
Perrin Ehlinger

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

GIThruster wrote:
palladin9479 wrote:It's a plant who's consumption was prohibited by an entity of unquestionable authority and wisdom (if your a religious type).
That is hands down the most idiotic statement I've ever read in this forum. Congratulations for a new low in intellectual banter.

Someone, anyone please tell me, how in the story of Adam and Eve in the garden, God can be painted as having "questionable authority and wisdom"?
I think you mis-read what he wrote.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

So weed is a a plant that gives knowledge? And knowledge of Good and evil. Which knowledge is quite necessary in man's current condition?

That is a heck of an endorsement.

But so is this.

Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

And HE could have added in medicine in the case of this plant. And Christians are especially admonished to heal the sick. Except for the Southern Baptists who oppose healing the sick on moral grounds. Which I find hilarious.

But is "tree" the same as "plant"? Not if you read the above which differentiates between plants and trees. Any Biblical scholars out there?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

choff

Post by choff »

Some would say Christianity is being opposed on prohibition grounds.
CHoff

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Simon, why would anyone who has been so transparent and open about his wicked ways, think it is useful to pretend to make an argument by Christians for Christians? You do realize everyone here who knows anything about you simply ignores you? We just can't take you seriously. Now if there were someplace online like say Franklin Graham were making this kind of argument, it would be interesting. But you are never interesting. You're far too disingenuous to take seriously.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis