LENR Is Real

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

parallel

Re: LENR Is Real

Post by parallel »

Giorgio,
As you apparently think it is no big deal to be shown you are a liar, why should anyone now believe anything you write?

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Gentlemen
While anything goes in the general forum, This form is for news and intended to be more civil. . Please strive to bring the level up a knock or two,
Respectfully submitted
JDS
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

parallel wrote:Giorgio,
As you apparently think it is no big deal to be shown you are a liar, why should anyone now believe anything you write?
That's yet another difference between me and you dear parallel.
I never ask people to believe anything I write. I limit myself to detail the points where your posts fails, and let people think and decide where according them the truth is. And as no one ever rises to defend your positions whenever I post something (except maybe Axil) it should also be a good indication to you of what anyone else thinks about your posts.

That's why I also think that anything you say about me is really no big deal. You have a proven track of escaping any attempt to discuss in a logic, rational and civil way, and this is under the eyes of everyone reading your messages, so why should I care about your petty attempts to insult me? I have met plenty of blind dogma believers in my life, and I am sure I will meet many more in the future. You are just one of them. Again, no big deal.

I tried a lot in the past years to discuss with you, but all I received from your side has been a refusal to confrontation.
If one day you will finally start to discuss in a constructive way the points and the objections that one moves to you than I might reconsider my position.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

Axil

Post by Axil »

Many of the conservative protectors of science here fight very hard against the non standard ideas expressed by the progressive free thinkers. Surprisingly enough, this intransigence in thinking is a result of genetic determinism at birth. These conservatives can’t help it. They are trapped by their brains.

At the age of three, conservatives display a genetic predisposition toward closed minded thinking.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... al/280677/

For instance, at the ages of three and four, the “conservative” preschoolers had been described as “uncomfortable with uncertainty,” as “rigidifying when experiencing duress,” and as “relatively over-controlled.” The girls were “quiet, neat, compliant, fearful and tearful, [and hoped] for help from the adults around.”

The progressive mindset is also predetermined at birth. For example:

“Likewise, the Blocks pinpointed another set of childhood traits that were associated with people who became liberals in their mid-twenties. The “liberal” children were more “autonomous, expressive, energetic, and relatively under-controlled.” Liberal girls had higher levels of “self-assertiveness, talkativeness, curiosity, [and] openness in expressing negative feelings.”

“In psychology, there are a few standard personality traits that have been measured across truly diverse human groups. They belong to a well-tested and widely accepted inventory called the “Big Five” personality dimensions. Specifically, these traits are Openness, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness, and Neuroticism (it’s easy to remember them because they spell out OCEAN). The first three dimensions (O, C, and—to a lesser degree—E) correlate fairly well with left-right voting. Therefore, these traits can serve as a universal yardstick for measuring the dispositions of disparate cultures, which would otherwise be difficult to compare in reference to specific political issues.

Psychologist Robert McCrae, with the help of his colleagues from numerous countries, has collected measures of these Big Five dimensions from nearly 28,000 people from 36 distinct cultures around the world. The participants represented the Indo-European linguistic family, as well as the Uralic (Finland, Hungary, Estonia, etc.), Dravidian (South India), Altaic (Turkic, Mongolic, etc.), Malayo-Polynesian, Sino-Tibetan, and Bantu (Sub-Saharan Africa) ethno-linguistic groups.

Variation in these Big Five personality traits was greatest within cultures. This finding makes intuitive sense, since a given population has a bell-shaped distribution of left-right political orientation. Moreover, Big Five dimensions such as Openness and Conscientiousness also form bell-shaped curves within a population.

There is a chance that these facts could be explained by culture or by the direct effect of the environment. However, they suggest that populations around the world have personality distributions that are genetically adapted to their ancestral environments.”

What an MRI Can Show

“The researchers noted that the amygdala has an emotion-processing function, which could explain why conservatives are more sensitive to threatening facial expressions than liberals are. This variation in the amygdala likely corresponds to differences in our perceptions of human nature, and these perceptions constitute one of the three personality clusters that underlie political orientation.

Finding Ourselves in the Big Picture

All right, so perhaps there are physiological differences between liberals and conservatives. Does this mean it’s possible to think about political conflict from a biological perspective? Surely politics is a uniquely human phenomenon that our species has developed long after we evolved fully modern “hardware,” right?

Not so, according to one of the world’s most renowned primatologists. Academy of Sciences member Frans de Waal has written a book called Chimpanzee Politics: Power and Sex among Apes. His book describes the complex political life of our closest living relatives. De Waal recounts in detail how chimpanzees form alliances between small groups of high-status individuals. And he tells of their betrayals and realignments, and of the brutal murders of chimpanzees fighting for social status (and mating opportunities) within a troop.

In one case, political rivals went far beyond simply killing an alpha male named Luit; they even ripped off Luit’s toes and fingernails, and pounded out his testicles. Most chimp violence occurs between males, however females indirectly support male candidates for high positions by cheering and even intervening during conflicts.

In addition to rudimentary political factions within their troops, chimpanzees have personalities that are meaningfully similar to ours. Groups of human caretakers have separately scored large numbers of chimpanzees on the Big Five factors, and their independent ratings of each dimension coincide with each other for individual apes.

The importance of this discovery is not just that chimps have variable personalities; rather, it’s that they are the only animals known to have traits analogous to all of our Big Five factors (in addition to a sixth factor of their own called Dominance). Biologists have found personality traits similar to Agreeableness, Neuroticism, and Extraversion across some twenty primates and other mammals.

But Openness is less common; for example, it’s only partially present in the semi-social orangutan. And full Conscientiousness has only been found so far in humans and chimpanzees. Openness and Conscientiousness, as we’ve just learned, are the personality dimensions that best correlate with left-right voting in human beings.

Science is just beginning to piece together the great puzzle of political orientation. As we look at these and other findings that are emerging from fields like genetics, neuroscience, and primatology, one thing is already strikingly clear: Our political orientations are deeply ingrained natural dispositions, molded within each of us by powerful evolutionary forces. Indeed, these personality traits, and the left-right spectra that arise from them, are intimately connected to the natural history of our species.

This post is adapted from Our Political Nature: The Evolutionary Origins of What Divides Us.”

This is a truth emerging here in this thread. I began to think along these lines of the importance of dominance and control in emotional thinking when the argument of ideas devolved into the recrimination of Lasagna and Tiramisu. This brought to mind a long ago remembered taunting of a group of first graders in the school yard who belittled and bullied a poor nonconforming target to force that poor beleaguered wretch to toe their line. Apes and man, they both unknowingly think and reason with the passions of uncontrolled bestial emotion and the need for dominance.

Stupidity, ignorance, arrogance and pride will keep man confined to the jungles of his emotions. The verdict of posterity will judge justly as she sees fit. The most precious secrets of the universe will not yield to the baseness of emotion. These ultimate and ennobling truths will only be revealed when evolution elevates a new breed of men from the baseness of their ape beginnings to the heights and purity of the better angles of their natures
Last edited by Axil on Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

zapkitty

Post by zapkitty »

So... 590 posts later... there's been little more real news than the odd bits that started out the thread.

Why not ignore the subject untii if and when there's any more bits of acrual news?

Axil, parallel... you are of course free to respond to this post of mine but you'll be ignored. Nothing personal.

Axil

Post by Axil »

zapkitty wrote:So... 590 posts later... there's been little more real news than the odd bits that started out the thread.

Why not ignore the subject untii if and when there's any more bits of acrual news?

Axil, parallel... you are of course free to respond to this post of mine but you'll be ignored. Nothing personal.

Agreed. There has be much discussion of Lasagna and Tiramisu.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Axil wrote:
zapkitty wrote:So... 590 posts later... there's been little more real news than the odd bits that started out the thread.

Agreed. There has be much discussion of Lasagna and Tiramisu.
At least that is real and tasty!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I always go to The Atlantic for my research needs. What a great source. Even better than citing an abstract.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

parallel

Post by parallel »

A more readable explanation of NANOR technology than “Dry, preloaded NANOR®-type CF/LANR components” by Mitchell R. Swartz

The NANOR technology: an alternative LENR reactor
http://www.ecat-thenewfire.com/blog/

"You have to consider that the Andrea Rossi’s Hot-Cat illustrated in the TPR-1 had a reaction chamber of about 200 cubic centimeters, which may contain about 100 grams of active powder. So, a NANOR using 100 grams of active powder would produce a thermal power of (100000 / 200) x 2 = 1000 W, or, more simply, 1 kW.

Thus the difference seems not so great. Indeed, in the test on a Hot-Cat performed in December 2012 the E-Cat power production was almost constant, with an average of 1609 W, as illustrated in TPR-1. So, there is approximately a factor 2 between the performances of the two different reactors."

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

parallel wrote:A more readable explanation of NANOR technology than “Dry, preloaded NANOR®-type CF/LANR components” by Mitchell R. Swartz

The NANOR technology: an alternative LENR reactor
http://www.ecat-thenewfire.com/blog/
Lot of claims but no details, not really sure what info should be extracted from it.
Even the reporter stated that in the end of the article:
"Finally, I would add that the papers on NANOR by Swartz and Hagelstein lack of many details about how the reactor works and is made, so the just reported resume is, in reality, only a partial description."

parallel

Post by parallel »

Andrea Rossi reported today that the 1 MW plant has been running 136 days.
With a one year trial that means we won't know the results until March/April next year.
I expect a few details will leak out before then.

Also.
Andrea Rossi
May 2nd, 2015 at 6:38 PM
The 1MW E-Cat does not have the power to supply 1 MWh/h of energy without the Rossi Effect. The total power of the resistances is about 250 kW, therefore by Joule effect we can give max 250 kWh/h of energy. This is why we have to study well the duration of the charges and, until we have not a precise idea, we have fixed in 6 months the fuellife. This time we have the possibility to try 1 year; obviously as soon as we notice a decrease of efficiency we change the charge.
Since we have 400 days at our disposal to operate 350 days, in this test and R&D agreed upon with the Customer, we have room for this experiment.
Warm Regards,
A.R.

ps. I have just seen another post by Rossi that says the earliest the test can finish is the end of December. The latest February 2016. THe test is officially only 350 days not 365

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

I feel as though quoting Rossi is the equivalent of linking and running. You aren't really adding to the discussion by posting a quote the same as you aren't adding by posting a link to an abstract, etc. This ties back to rule #2 of the forums. If you want to post an article and discuss the scientific merits of that article (like the math, chemistry, etc.) that's fair game, but this lack of discussion can't continue. Most of the posts look like poorly masked hype train garbage and we all know most of the people here aren't jumping on. Let's get this back to scientific discussion, not cheap shots and bogus posts.

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

Scott, please be careful. Its like getting a stick and poking that big paper wasp nest hanging under the eaves.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I can't be bothered any more to go back and dredge up previous Rossisaids that will contradict the more current ones.

I am thinking that the "1 year test" has been running longer than a year already. Of course, we must also ignore previously sold, installed, and operating units to secret customers.

Nice to see Rossi once again punting forward with dates. Also nice to still see a complete lack of public evidence and real science.

I took a re-spin to the Anti-Rossi site not long ago, and that guy is still dredging up documented dirt on Rossi.
It continues to amaze me how folks treat this thief and liar with religious conviction. Cool-aid anyone?

Let the comedy continue.
<munches popcorn>
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

parallel

Post by parallel »

ScottL wrote:I feel as though quoting Rossi is the equivalent of linking and running. You aren't really adding to the discussion by posting a quote the same as you aren't adding by posting a link to an abstract, etc. This ties back to rule #2 of the forums. If you want to post an article and discuss the scientific merits of that article (like the math, chemistry, etc.) that's fair game, but this lack of discussion can't continue. Most of the posts look like poorly masked hype train garbage and we all know most of the people here aren't jumping on. Let's get this back to scientific discussion, not cheap shots and bogus posts.
Liar ScottL,
Who cares what you think? You seldom, if ever, add news or anything useful.