Moller's Skycar Is Coming

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

JoeP
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Moller's Skycar Is Coming

Postby JoeP » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:23 pm

I do not see the big advantage in having a car/aircraft hybrid.

A small personal VTOL aircraft is a fine thing to have. But if you have that, then driving on the road somewhere with it is not a very big plus.

Oh, sure, maybe due to laws or local restrictions on landing and takeoff I suppose you might have some problem wanting to launch and land in your driveway or parking garage in a dense suburb. So you might think: hey I want to land somewhere and then drive home on the highway.

However, if personal aircraft were to become as affordable as cars, then infrastructure could easily be adapted. For example, a neighborhood landing/takeoff parking area in a cul-de-sac for n-houses. Better to optimize for flying or driving because there isn't going to be a very good solution for the combination. Well, so long as anti-gravity devices aren't available and you have to rely on thrust and lift.

And this "Skycar" doesn't look at all like a car to me. Looks like a Cessna TTx with four smaller engines w/enclosed props. I would not be caught dead "driving" that aircraft down the interstate highway!

williatw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby williatw » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:37 pm

JoeP

Postby JoeP » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:39 pm

I'd rather drive to the local airport and take my chopper or light aircraft. If I had one. But that's IMO.

I also do not see any reason why there should not be a requirement for a pilots license either. It is an aircraft, and not an ultra-light or a glider, which IIRC are the types of vehicles that may be exempt from the licensing requirements.

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:42 pm

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

williatw

Postby williatw » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:02 am

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:41 pm

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

williatw

Postby williatw » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:40 am

Published on Nov 8, 2015

JetPack Aviation introduces the JB-9 JETPACK - The world's only true JetPack. Exclusive footage of the first untethered JetPack JB-9 flights.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jetpackaviation
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jetpackaviation
Instagram: https://instagram.com/jetpackaviation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3AwBSwFV2I

The Flight around the statue of liberty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCYSWyHDpfU

Told elsewhere top speed of 100mph greater than 10 minutes flight time (depending on pilot's weight) and fuel is kerosene. No info on price and the inventor isn't saying when/if/how much it will be available for to the public. Also heard they are working on a JB-10 model no info about it.

williatw

Postby williatw » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:13 pm

williatw

Postby williatw » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:29 pm

JB-10
JetPack
▸ SPECS

Empty Weight (lbs): 83

Max Thrust (lbs @ ISA)*: 395

Max speed (mph): > 120

Endurance (mins)**: 8

Fuel: Kerosene/diesel

Operating Ceiling (ft): 15,000

Piloted/Fully autonomous: Piloted

*Maximum thrust can vary depending on density altitude

**Endurance is dependent on pilot weight and density altitude

▸ Price

$295,000

(base price - current as of February 2019. Subject to indexed price escalation to delivery date, and options chosen. FOB Los Angeles, CA)

JB-11
JetPack

SPECS

Empty Weight (lbs): 115

Max Thrust (lbs @ ISA)*: 530

Max speed (mph): > 120

Endurance (mins)**: 10

Fuel: Kerosene/diesel

Operating Ceiling (ft) 15,000

Piloted/Fully autonomous: Piloted

*Maximum thrust can vary depending on density altitude

**Endurance is dependent on pilot weight and density altitude

▸ Price

$340,000

(base price - current as of February 2019. Subject to indexed price escalation to delivery date, and options chosen. FOB Los Angeles, CA)

https://jetpackaviation.com/jetpacks/
Last edited by williatw on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

williatw

Postby williatw » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:38 pm

Return to “General”