Skynet is coming.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

paperburn1

Re: Skynet is coming.

Post by paperburn1 »

Humans could one day engage in “consensual telepathy.” what about NON-consensual telepathy, I have not seen a complex program yet that can't be hacked or subverted.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Non-consentual telepathy would be a form of felony assault, unless performed by an authorized government agent investigating a crime against the State or performing rehabilitation. :mrgreen: :twisted:
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

choff

Post by choff »

It would probably be impossible for blocking content, literally, everyone hooked up to the machine would be exposed to the entire life's memories of everybody else, and what they're thinking. Total Borg Vulcan mind meld.
CHoff

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Resistance is futile.

williatw

Post by williatw »

hanelyp wrote:Non-consentual telepathy would be a form of felony assault, unless performed by an authorized government agent investigating a crime against the State or performing rehabilitation. :mrgreen: :twisted:

How reassuring...what type of "rehabilitation" would require the gov to have unfettered 24/7 ability to read my every thought (eventually) &/or feed me whatever "information" they wish?

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

choff wrote:It would probably be impossible for blocking content, literally, everyone hooked up to the machine would be exposed to the entire life's memories of everybody else, and what they're thinking. Total Borg Vulcan mind meld.
Based on what ? No one knows at this point, as this is possibly the most unknown unknown of all, so although "everything can and will be hacked" it is for now speculation: in the article the very people working on and around Neuralink say that it will be more voluntary action like speech.

It is definitely a wait a see thing, if only because the potentials are gigantic. I reckon many of today's basically harmless technologically enabled risks would have the same reaction from people decades and centuries ago. And as the premise argues: the alternative to not trying is ruling ourselves out of an AI landscape.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

williatw wrote:
hanelyp wrote:Non-consentual telepathy would be a form of felony assault, unless performed by an authorized government agent investigating a crime against the State or performing rehabilitation. :mrgreen: :twisted:

How reassuring...what type of "rehabilitation" would require the gov to have unfettered 24/7 ability to read my every thought (eventually) &/or feed me whatever "information" they wish?
One better: it is all because dems/reps allowed (whatever) to happen. Of course it's not because the electorate is a whiny little bitch sitting on its hands instead of waking up and smelling the "singularity" roses, because when have modern world electorate not regressed back to not giving a shit once they have it easy?

You could easily argue that today's world has gotten so realized in terms of complexity and dangers and opportunities (e.g. legal and technological loopholes, basically any kind of sophistication ; "realized" because it was always just a matter of time) that people are simply beyond assessing everything they ought to. Which is identical to the very way AI beats HI. Bandwidth, memory volume, and computation thereof.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

choff

Post by choff »

Betruger wrote:
choff wrote:It would probably be impossible for blocking content, literally, everyone hooked up to the machine would be exposed to the entire life's memories of everybody else, and what they're thinking. Total Borg Vulcan mind meld.
Based on what ? No one knows at this point, as this is possibly the most unknown unknown of all, so although "everything can and will be hacked" it is for now speculation: in the article the very people working on and around Neuralink say that it will be more voluntary action like speech.

It is definitely a wait a see thing, if only because the potentials are gigantic. I reckon many of today's basically harmless technologically enabled risks would have the same reaction from people decades and centuries ago. And as the premise argues: the alternative to not trying is ruling ourselves out of an AI landscape.
It will be one thing to get it to work in the first place, and another thing entirely to figure out how to block it once it does. You can't just block the one memory, you have to anticipate and block every other adjacent memory that relates to it. Otherwise the other person can figure out what you don't want them to access.
CHoff

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Yes, agreed. I reckon it will be very comprehensively developed. Case by case designs. Such as strictly motor cortex interface, vs actual read/write memory interface. By all accounts the latter is as long term a prospect as an MCI, and then some.

The practical realities of willful BMI read/write "privileges" definitely are all speculation at this point. The brain is just too unknown. And we owe it to ourselves to develop these sooner than later.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

In Urgent Request, US Special Ops Adds 350 Kamikaze Drones to Fight ISIS

TAMPA, Florida — Here’s how Mad Max the situation in Iraq is right now. Earlier this year, the military put out an urgent request for inexpensive kamikaze drones that special operations troops could fire from handheld bazooka-like launchers against ISIS, according to documents obtained by Defense One. It’s another sign that drone warfare is changing far faster than traditional military equipping can keep up, a fact reinforced this week by leaders with U.S. Special Operations Command, or SOCOM.

In its Joint Urgent Operational Needs Statement, SOCOM requested 325 “Miniature Aerial Missile Systems,” or LMAMS, by summer. That delivery has already been completed. AeroVironment officials confirmed to Defense One that they recently delivered about 350 Switchblades, a tube-launched drones outfitted with cameras and cursor-on-target GPS navigation. The company bills the device as a “miniature flying lethal missile can be operated manually or autonomously.” It can fly for about 15 minutes, at up to 100 miles per hour. The Pentagon put a similar request for Switchblades back in 2013.

http://www.defenseone.com/technology/20 ... ign=buffer

Drone swarms will eventually make battlefields too lethal for humans to survive.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Here is more about drone swarms. As I have said in the past, the F35 is already an unnecessary and expensive anachronism. The F22s we have would be good enough if they are surrounded by huge swarms of cheap and good drones. You can buy 60(!) of Kratos' new combat drones for the cost of a single F35! They are so cheap, they could act as flying shields for the manned fighters and then they can be armed just like regular fighters too. No matter how much better a manned fighter is in a combat situation,it is never 60 times better. One of those 60 will get him.
http://newatlas.com/kratos-valkyrie-mak ... ris/50044/

choff

Post by choff »

This reminds me of Jules Verne's "Paris in the 20th Century". War became obsolete after it evolved into combat between remotely controlled machines.
CHoff

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

A Navy AV-8B Harrier demonstrated its ability to control a UTAP-22 “wolf pack” over a series of test flights at the China Lake test range in California in late-2015. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Navy my ass, that is one of my pilots in a Marine Harrier.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

China launches record-breaking UAV swarm

The China Electronics Technology Group Corporation (CETC) claims to have set a new record for the number of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) flying in a swarm, the state-owned Xinhua news agency quoted the corporation as saying.

The 11 June news report states that the swarm comprised 119 UAVs, breaking CETC's previous record swarm of 67 UAVs. Xinhua did not mention when or where the event took place.

The size of the mini UAV swarm is greater than that trialled by the US Air Force in October 2016 when three Boeing F/A-18 Hornets deployed a swarm of 103 Perdix micro UAVs, which the US Department of Defense noted was one of the world's largest micro UAV swarms to date.

http://www.janes.com/article/71624/chin ... -uav-swarm
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Stabilized Drone with machine gun and grenade launcher

It is a fully robotic weaponry system to an airborne platform. TIKAD, which is a proprietary development of Duke, uses the delivery of a unique suppression firing and stabilization solution. The TIKAD allows us to utilize completely new capabilities against terrorist groups and reduce the number of deployed ground troops, and therefore, the number of casualties. Instead of sending our troops to investigate a potentially dangerous location, the TIKAD can be deployed while the troops control it remotely.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/07/s ... ncher.html

Now who didn't see that coming?
— Lord Melbourne —