Small Tri Alpha news blurp

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

hanelyp

Re: Small Tri Alpha news blurp

Post by hanelyp »

When making a bold science announcement it can pay to do it the right way. Done in a paper describing the method and basis of the conclusion, as a peer reviewed publication should require, buys a lot more margin to keep a reputation if it turns out wrong. Or you could make a fast report like a glory hound, and be rightly criticized when you can't back up the claim.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

There are so many that would want to know the results, just off the top of my head those current and potential investors in the company needed to fund the commercialization phase, investors in solar and wind, public policy makers etc, etc. When a breakthrough technology is making the break with $ trillions effected down stream, this is not just an announcement.

I must point out that this is not some first time, one off machine with no prior results, this is a massive, longtime research effort with so many papers published and prototypes. So, results of C-2W won't take a huge vetting process. This is not the cold fusion story.

Moreover, this is the story of the diesel electric locomotive being dropped into an existing steam locomotive railroad system in the sense that the tracks, the technology and commercial infrastructure surrounding it are in place. Roll out will be as quick as amortization of old plants or retrofitting allows.

I am sitting on my hands waiting.... :lol: :roll:
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Your right about one thing. who ever get the brass ring first will rule the roost for decades even if the other ways are viable and cheaper.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

'First plasma' on new reactor prototype!!
https://trialphaenergy.com/wp-content/u ... erator.pdf
FOOTHILL RANCH, CA – July 10, 2017 -- Tri Alpha Energy (TAE), the world’s largest private fusion company, has achieved first plasma on its newest generator, Norman, formerly known as C-2W and now named after the company’s late co-founder, Dr. Norman Rostoker.
The $100MM plasma generator, the fifth in a series of devices built over the last 20 years, will continue validation of the company’s underlying technology and enable commercialization efforts toward delivering utility-scale fusion energy. With Norman now operational, the company will continue to move quickly down its developmental path, expanding temperature ranges and sustaining plasma for longer periods towards perfecting the essential operating characteristics required to sustain fusion reactions. Over the coming months, the company will be accelerating Norman’s levels of performance to further validate the fundamental confinement requirements that will ultimately be necessary for commercial operations.

Maui

Post by Maui »

Sweet! 8)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

No word about them trying break even but lets hope they will reach that milestone with this test device.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Over the coming months, the company will be accelerating Norman’s levels of performance to further validate the fundamental confinement requirements that will ultimately be necessary for commercial operations.
No, they are working to validate basics for commercial, in "coming months," not years. Big investment $ only takes place when risk has been inversely reduced. C-2U was the make or break machine, this is icing the cake albeit a bit pricey icing that took 12 months.

Maybe we will hear results in fall conferences? Probably too optimistic...

No idea when pB11 conditions attempt is planned, or if this machine can be upgraded to achiever those conditions.

Heard anything from Helion?

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

mvanwink5 wrote: Heard anything from Helion?
Helion is keeping quiet. As I said, they purposely want to avoid too much publicity at this point in time.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Tri Alpha no longer has any tweets on their Twitter account. This was just after giving information out via an article on the target plasma temperature for their new reactor named 'Norman'. I have no idea what happened. Perhaps investors wanted greater secrecy.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

mvanwink5 wrote:Tri Alpha no longer has any tweets on their Twitter account. This was just after giving information out via an article on the target plasma temperature for their new reactor named 'Norman'. I have no idea what happened. Perhaps investors wanted greater secrecy.
They had longer stretches without tweets before. I would not interpret too much into it. Maybe the guy who runs the account is taking a summer vacation.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Actually all tweets have been scrubbed, account reinitialized to zero tweets.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

mvanwink5 wrote:Actually all tweets have been scrubbed, account reinitialized to zero tweets.

Hmm the race might really be on, the only reason to close the doors is your leaving the party OR things just got real interesting. 8)
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

I think it has to do with either getting or having gotten financing.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

mvanwink5 wrote:Actually all tweets have been scrubbed, account reinitialized to zero tweets.
I can still see all their tweets.