SpaceX News

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Tom Ligon

Re: SpaceX News

Post by Tom Ligon »

Apparently, all the used junk they flew today worked just fine!

There was no score from the judges on the landing. They slept thru it. We may have heard the last from them unless SpaceX can work in some amusing aerobatics.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

Even without amusing aerobatics, I think we'll hear from the judges when Space X (finally!) starts on their synchronized team flying/landing attempts.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

If a BFR thrusting off its pad doesn't wake em up...
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

Maui

Post by Maui »

Looks like we're going to start seeing some missions without recoveries starting Friday in order to clear stock of block 3 boosters: https://twitter.com/ChrisG_NSF/status/9 ... 6415496193

Kinda ironic that SpaceX is now looking to save money by using automatic atmospheric disposal. It's the next big thing!

choff

Post by choff »

CHoff

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

It has been reported that SpaceX cannibalized some parts from the West coast barge to repair the fire damaged East coast barge. This may be the primary reason why they are not trying to recover this next launch (12/22) from the West coast. Even if the intact booster could not be used again, parts might be more valuable than the cost of recovery.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Maui

Post by Maui »

Meanwhile, this appears to be the first attempt for a new fairing recover vessel: Mr. Steven

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

The cost modifies the booster to the lot five configuration is not an acceptable ROI but they do have several heavy loads on the schedule that make tossing them a viable option. They have launched non recoverable missions in the past and will do so in the future so it just makes sense to throw away the boosters that have a high refurbishment cost and keep the new lot fives instead.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Maui

Post by Maui »

That is all.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Maui wrote:That is all.
Insert internet argument that it's such a waste of $$$ that coulda saved so many kids from starving and could've gone to protect our planet and/or not been wasted risking to infect a brand new planet with our bacteria.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Comments about the benefits of the space program or Mars is based on little understanding. To compliment that level I will point out that Mars has plenty of water, the key is warming it up. That in itself is an extensive problem. After that other things fall into place- though the time it takes depends on available power- a good argument for clean fusion power- it wouldn't only help Earth.
Mars cannot hold onto an atmosphere well, but this is a relative perspective. A few million to a few hundred million years is not unreasonable. Keep in mind that the Earth is also losing it's atmosphere, slower than Mars thanks to the increased gravity and especially the magnetic field. The atmosphere might last a few billion years more, but the Sun is warming up and in ~ 700 million years most or all of the oceans will have been evaporated and the hydrogen component escaping into space. And then, a few billion years later the Earth will be truly fried when the Sun becomes a red giant. Further out Mars might actually be more habitable than Earth, though the asteroids and moons of Jupiter might be the better choices in this far distant future. It is all relative- is a long time of stability measured in millions of years, 100s of millions, or billions?

Byproducts from the space program have been developed and are useful, but keep in mind that these advances were driven by the space program. Other than War, there is little else that would drive this technology.

Direct and primary benefits of the space program are also numerous. Satellite communications, weather forecasting, resource management, Earth sciences, geology, crop management, space weather are all capabilities that required space programs to implement.

Space exploration has also been prolific. Ego satisfaction has driven some apace activities- the prime example is the first man on the Moon race. But exploration of space from Earth and satellites, and exploration of Earth from space have progressed apace. The Jet Propulsion Laboratory would probably be dismayed by comments that there has not been any space exploration. All of the planets (even Pluto) and many moons have been extensively explored.

What is the fate of mankind? We cease to exist and all of our accomplishments adds up to zero. It is only a matter of time. There are only two things that can prevent/delay this . One is to become a multiplanetary species as Musk champions. The other is to develop space capabilities to the point that there is a reasonable chance of diverting the killer asteroids that will (not if) cause mass extinctions or even total annihilation of life on Earth. Anything that does not pursue this goal is actually short sighted and actually purposeful disregard for the future of the Earth, or at least it's biosphere.

We as a species can cause considerable mayhem, but we also are the only thing that might avert catastrophe.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

D Tibbets wrote:Comments about the benefits of the space program or Mars is based on little understanding. To compliment that level I will point out that Mars has plenty of water, the key is warming it up. That in itself is an extensive problem. After that other things fall into place- though the time it takes depends on available power- a good argument for clean fusion power- it wouldn't only help Earth.
Mars cannot hold onto an atmosphere well, but this is a relative perspective. A few million to a few hundred million years is not unreasonable.
A few thousand years is enough. The technological horizon is easily an order of magnitude or so less than one thousand.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Betruger wrote:
Maui wrote:That is all.
Insert internet argument that it's such a waste of $$$ that coulda saved so many kids from starving and could've gone to protect our planet and/or not been wasted risking to infect a brand new planet with our bacteria.
Your initial response is gut feeling correct but there are things you may have not considered.
First the rocket test does need a weight load to be properly tested.
Second the possibility of contamination is zero because the rocket payload will not land on mars
Third is a rule that has been part of the space program forever.
No Buck Rogers; you get no bucks. This stunt is worth literally hundreds of millions in free advertising for both SpaceX and Tesla and if he pulls it off he will be remembered forever and a day. Securing a "this man can do it" in the industry of space exploration.

After rereading the Post I obviously missed the sarcasm. oops :oops: Sorry.
I am such a EM fanboy. 8)

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

The myopia and/or hypocrisy of those people really lights my fuse. NIMBYs, think-of-the-children, tall poppies, etc.