Skynet is coming.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Re: Skynet is coming.

Post by Diogenes »

Combat lasers will protect against drone swarms

The system is standalone, with a footprint of roughly 30 square feet. On a single charge from a standard 220v outlet, the same kind you plug your washing machine into at home, the HEL system onboard the MRZR delivers four hours of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capability and 20 to 30 laser shots. The system can also be coupled with a generator to provide virtually infinite magazine depth.

While the laser and the vehicle are sure to draw all the attention, it’s the weaponized MTS sensor package that is the core of the system. In this configuration, the MTS provides its standard setting ISR and tracking capabilities while also serving as a beam director.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/03/c ... warms.html
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

williatw

Post by williatw »

Diogenes wrote:Combat lasers will protect against drone swarms

Its a start...at least they are publically acknowledging the threat. However consider this from one of the comments from your posted link:

What if the "swarm" is on the ground? I can picture drones that fly to the battlefield and then land and roll or walk to designated coordinates and/or scan for targets of opportunity. How do you fight a swarm of bees? Kill every last one with a laser? You wont get them all. No good if you are allergic to bee venom (or explosives).
Exactly...a "laser" system might work against a roughly not too numerous bird size or larger drones reasonably well but that would only serve to drive the threat provider to develop/field much more numerous swarms of insect sized drones (with poison/explosive stingers).

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

williatw wrote:
Diogenes wrote:Combat lasers will protect against drone swarms

Its a start...at least they are publically acknowledging the threat. However consider this from one of the comments from your posted link:

What if the "swarm" is on the ground? I can picture drones that fly to the battlefield and then land and roll or walk to designated coordinates and/or scan for targets of opportunity. How do you fight a swarm of bees? Kill every last one with a laser? You wont get them all. No good if you are allergic to bee venom (or explosives).
Exactly...a "laser" system might work against a roughly not too numerous bird size or larger drones reasonably well but that would only serve to drive the threat provider to develop/field much more numerous swarms of insect sized drones (with poison/explosive stingers).

Very good point. I believe I've seen drones that land, sit in the sun to recharge, and then take off again. I've seen drones that land, and roll to wherever they want to go. I've seen humming bird drones that actually flap their wings and look quite a bit like a small bird.

Drone Swarms are going to be a problematic threat, and it is eventually going to require a computer vision system to detect them quickly enough to kill them. (if it can)

One thing is for certain, future battle fields will be no place for humans. Of course, past battle fields were no place for humans either.

War is H3LL.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

A Criminal Gang Used a Drone Swarm To Obstruct an FBI Hostage Raid

DENVER, Colorado — Last winter, on the outskirts of a large U.S. city, an FBI hostage rescue team set up an elevated observation post to assess an unfolding situation. Soon they heard the buzz of small drones — and then the tiny aircraft were all around them, swooping past in a series of “high-speed low passes at the agents in the observation post to flush them,” the head of the agency’s operational technology law unit told attendees of the AUVSI Xponential conference here. Result: “We were then blind,” said Joe Mazel, meaning the group lost situational awareness of the target. “It definitely presented some challenges.”

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2 ... id/147956/
— Lord Melbourne —

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Fighting back against the rise of the machines.
Genetics have taken a historic leap thanks to new, predictive DNA technology. Beef cattle ranchers are getting wise to the science of genetics.

They have always known that making the best steak starts long before consumers pick out the right cut, such as where an animal grazes or what it eats. The key is in the genetic makeup — or DNA — of the herd.
Now this same eugenic though process is starting to be talked about on the interwebs. Personal bloodlines not as important now as having a far superior child .
RECENT FINDINGS:
Genome editing techniques, such as CRISPR/Cas9, have facilitated genetic modification in human embryos. The most likely purpose of germline genome editing is the prevention of serious genetic disease in offspring. However, complex issues still remain, including irremediable risks to fetuses and future generations, the role of women, the availability of alternatives, long-term follow-up, health insurance coverage, misuse for human enhancement, and the potential effects on adoption. Further discussions, a broad consensus, and appropriate regulations are required before human germline genome editing is introduced into the global society.

SUMMARY:
Before germline genome editing is used for disease prevention, a broad consensus must be formed by carefully discussing its ethical, legal, and social issues.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28885275
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

paperburn1 wrote:Fighting back against the rise of the machines.
Genetics have taken a historic leap thanks to new, predictive DNA technology. Beef cattle ranchers are getting wise to the science of genetics.

They have always known that making the best steak starts long before consumers pick out the right cut, such as where an animal grazes or what it eats. The key is in the genetic makeup — or DNA — of the herd.
Now this same eugenic though process is starting to be talked about on the interwebs. Personal bloodlines not as important now as having a far superior child .
RECENT FINDINGS:
Genome editing techniques, such as CRISPR/Cas9, have facilitated genetic modification in human embryos. The most likely purpose of germline genome editing is the prevention of serious genetic disease in offspring. However, complex issues still remain, including irremediable risks to fetuses and future generations, the role of women, the availability of alternatives, long-term follow-up, health insurance coverage, misuse for human enhancement, and the potential effects on adoption. Further discussions, a broad consensus, and appropriate regulations are required before human germline genome editing is introduced into the global society.

SUMMARY:
Before germline genome editing is used for disease prevention, a broad consensus must be formed by carefully discussing its ethical, legal, and social issues.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28885275

I saw this movie.

— Lord Melbourne —

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

williatw

Post by williatw »

Google Duplex A.I. - How Does it Work?

Published on May 14, 2018

Subscribe here: https://goo.gl/9FS8uF
In this video we take a look at Google's Duplex Assistant extension and how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuIpgArEZig

Very realistic sounding human voice/interaction...sounds like the call center/telemarketing jobs are soon to be next in the to be completely automated crosshairs..if not already.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I have already been harassed by a robocall computer AI.
I asked if it was a computer
It replied with a question,:what makes you think I am computer?;
then I said "good your not "
then again I asked if it was a computer
It replied with a question,:what makes you think I am computer?;
then I said "good your not "
Got it t repeat three more times before it hung up.
causal loops are fun... :D

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Sounds like Eliza with voice recognition.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

choff

Post by choff »

I'm getting accused of being a bot all the time these days.
CHoff

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

williatw

Post by williatw »

China Claims to Have a Real-Deal Laser Gun That Inflicts 'Instant Carbonization' of Human Skin

Photo: Press handout from ZKZM Laser Body of the ZKZM-500 laser assault rifle.
As the U.S. prepares for war in space, China’s bringing the space war home. Its ZKZM-500 laser assault rifle is reportedly capable of hitting a target from a kilometer away, igniting flammable objects, and burning through human skin. And it’s ready for production, the researchers behind the project claim.

A weapon that fires a destructive laser beam has been a dream of military researchers for decades. The US military has recently had some luck with huge laser-firing cannons that are intended to be mounted on ships or trucks and can take down a drone by burning through its body. But effective laser rifles for use by individual soldiers have been stuck in the land of fantasy. The South China Morning Post, however, spoke with researchers at the Xian Institute of Optics and Precision Mechanics (at the Chinese Academy of Sciences) who say they have developed a powerful laser rifle that will soon be in the hands of Chinese police who focus on anti-terrorism. From the report:

The 15mm calibre weapon weighs three kilos (6.6lb), about the same as an AK-47, and has a range of 800 metres, or half a mile, and could be mounted on cars, boats and planes...

In the event of a hostage situation it could be used to fire through windows at targets and temporarily disable the kidnappers while other units move in to rescue their captives.

It could also be used in covert military operations. The beam is powerful enough to burn through a gas tank and ignite the fuel storage facility in a military airport.

The gun is entirely silent and its beam is invisible, the vivid report alleges. A target wouldn’t know what’s happening, apparently, until a hole burned through their clothes in the blink of an eye and their skin and tissue experienced “instant carbonization” that, in the best case scenario, would leave a permanent scar. One researcher told the Morning Post that “the pain will be beyond endurance.” If the unfortunate target happened to be wearing flammable clothing, they could go up in flames, according to the report.

At $15,000-a-piece, the ZKZM-500 sounds relatively inexpensive, especially if you consider that it doesn’t require traditional ammunition. The weapon’s lithium battery can apparently handle over 1,000 laser bursts that last around two seconds each. But even though that cost would be feasible for some civilians, the technology is expected to be restricted for military and police use only.

Even that level of use could face pushback from other countries. As the Morning Postpoints out, the United Nations Protocol on Blinding Laser Weapons came into force in 1998 and has been signed by 108 nations around the world. It bans the use of weapons that are specifically designed to cause permanent blindness, but as part of the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons, it lacks any real mechanisms for enforcement.

While hostage and anti-terrorist situations are being discussed as the most likely scenarios for these weapons to be used in the short-term, a promotional document uploaded to a Chinese government website and seen by the Morning Post also highlights its potential for use against “illegal protests.” China’s grip on the internet has tightened over recent years, making it more difficult to organize dissent. Going from firewalls to setting people on fire would be quite the escalation in the country’s high-tech war on its own people.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolog ... id=U218DHP

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

But ,but what about physics? :D

williatw

Post by williatw »

paperburn1 wrote:But ,but what about physics? :D

China Claims to Have a Laser Assault Rifle That Can Set Clothes on Fire
It's probably best to be skeptical about this alleged wonder weapon.

Also, it’s difficult to believe this weapon is as powerful as advertised. Although the article discusses the weapon’s burning effects in detail, the ZKZM-500's wattage is conveniently left out. The U.S. Military is currently funding research into laser weapons that can do everything the ZKZM-500 reportedly can, but they are multi-kilowatt devices that are so large they must be mounted on armored vehicles or ships. Such a weapon may eventually reach the handheld stage, but nobody is quite there yet. (The weapon would also quickly grow so hot after even a few shots it would require a cooling mechanism.)

Power storage is another problem. The ZKZM-500 can reportedly fire a thousand two-second shots, the equivalent of 33 hours of laser power, from a “lithium battery.” There’s no way a weapon the size of a rifle can store that much energy internally given today's technology, even if it were stuffed with batteries. To store the equivalent of 33 hours of laser power would require a bank of batteries as large as a shipping container.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/milita ... ult-rifle/

Or maybe it just fires in short high powered bursts. Maybe 100 microsecond mini shots at say 10 Hertz. The "two second" thing is what happens when you pull the trigger; it fires at 10Hz for the two seconds 20 100-microsecond bursts. The Lithium ion battery pack has a built in capacitor that charges from the battery and then rapidly discharges; high power in very brief intervals the aggregate power not that much. Some kind of solid state laser in the infra-red or Terahertz range.