EMC2 news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mvanwink5

Re: EMC2 news

Post by mvanwink5 »

I am actually happy, yet surprised, to hear that progress has been made through simulation. I had imagined that simulation was outside of practicality. If what is being said is the case and that WB-8 data and WB-mini agree with the simulation then it would seem that financing should be obtainable. Again, I am surprised, very.

Best regards to the EMC2 team.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Simulation was a gnarly problem in 1995. What qualified as a supercomputer then would not be adequate as a gaming video card now.

The problem of simulation got easier once they physically proved that wiffleballs would form if you did things right, and hard enough. Back in the 90's, Dr. Bussard was apparently making some bad assumptions about wiffleballs, and applied wishful thinking to his data to think some of the abrupt glow-balls our machines were making were proper wiffleballs. Park learned this was not so, but figured out how to make them work.

With wiffleballs properly measured on WB Mini, they knew their modeling was finally correct. As I understand it, the smart money was to take the data from the little machine and carefully work up a model for a larger scale, so they could design the next phase intelligently.

I think that must have worked.

cc

Post by cc »

crowberry wrote:Dr Park has given the talk A Compact Fusion Approach Using Magnetic Confinement of Electrons and Electrostatic Acceleration of Ions during the ENN Symposium on Compact Fusion Technologies, April 19-20, 2018, Langfang, China.

http://www.ennresearch.com/uploads/PDF/ ... n-Park.pdf

http://www.ennresearch.com/fusionsympos ... dSpeakers/
These links appear to be dead, and there is also no mention of the talk or slides on emc2fusion.org. Is there a video of the talk, or at least of the simulations?

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

The Symposium on Compact Fusion Technologies was hosted by the ENN Group, which is an energy company and one of China's largest private companies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENN_Group. The address http://www.ennresearch.com currently redirects to another page that gives an error message in chinese. The error message translated by Google reads as follows:
The site is temporarily inaccessible due to exhausted traffic!

Solution one: virtual machine upgrade

Click the button below to find the virtual machine you want to upgrade, click "Upgrade"; after the upgrade is complete, the system will automatically migrate the data for you.

Exclusive resources

Exclusive economic version

1M
bandwidth

5G
Web space

500M
database

1 core 1G
CPU/memory

¥298/years
upgrade immediately

1 yuan trial use exclusive virtual machine, learn more>>

Solution 2: Purchase traffic

Log in to Alibaba Cloud official website -> Management Console -> Cloud Web Hosting , find the host to recharge the traffic in my host, click "Manage" to enter the host management interface, click the "Traffic Buy" link to recharge the traffic and make up the traffic. It can be opened later.

Solution 3: Automatically open

If you do not want to open the site in the above two ways, the system will automatically open the host on the 1st of the next month.
The address of the whole ENN Group is accessible at http://www.enn.cn/wps/portal/enn.en, but I have not been able to locate the symposium site from there. Maybe the third option will work out and the missing site will again be accessible on the first of October?

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Post by JoeStrout »

crowberry wrote:The address of the whole ENN Group is accessible at http://www.enn.cn/wps/portal/enn.en, but I have not been able to locate the symposium site from there. Maybe the third option will work out and the missing site will again be accessible on the first of October?
Apparently so; it's accessible now.

I've grabbed the slides of Dr. Park's talk, and posted them here.

Interesting stuff!
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Thanks Joe!
This does look really interesting! Looks like they have all the pieces together and just need to get the funding to build more test devices.
Let's hope that this comes along. Maybe they can get funding from ARPA-E like so many others did. NIAC seems to be a means to get small funding as well. The latter would not be much, but maybe would allow them to do build another test device.
Clearly, the full scale reactor would require some serious funding. I am surprised that it would be so much more expensive than some of the competing reactor concepts.

TDPerk

Post by TDPerk »

JoeStrout wrote:
crowberry wrote:The address of the whole ENN Group is accessible at http://www.enn.cn/wps/portal/enn.en, but I have not been able to locate the symposium site from there. Maybe the third option will work out and the missing site will again be accessible on the first of October?
Apparently so; it's accessible now.

I've grabbed the slides of Dr. Park's talk, and posted them here.

Interesting stuff!

Yes, Joe, thank you.
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Some of the units in that PDF look odd?

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

so burning D-T for the reactor.....hmmm, throws a monkey wrench in the space flight deal.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

The last line on slide 17 of Parks ENN talk reads:
Simulation almost ready for e-beam driven potential well and dynamics equilibrium for advanced fuels
So the question of running a Polywell on advanced fuels is still open.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

Skipjack wrote:Some of the units in that PDF look odd?
Which units do you think are odd?

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

Skipjack wrote: ...
Clearly, the full scale reactor would require some serious funding. I am surprised that it would be so much more expensive than some of the competing reactor concepts.
The full scale reactor is quoted at 700 M$ for a 500 MWe power plant. which gives a cost of 1,4 $ / We, which is not expensive in my view. With the quoted efficiency of 40 % 500 MWe corresponds to a fusion power of 1250 MWth, so it would be 2.5 times the power of ITER. The quoted cost of electricity probably contains the replacement costs for the fusion core when using deuterium-tritium. Obviously all these cost estimates should be taken with several grains of salt until a working prototype actually has been built.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

:D :D :D
Simulation almost ready for e-beam driven potential well and dynamics equilibrium for advanced fuels
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

It looks like it is finally happening.

Yes, fossil growth will be slowed, but it won't stop, at least right away. These plants have a long life and the world capital expenditure will be hard pressed to replace them as price pressure on fossil makes them cheap to operate.

I like the prospect of space colonization.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.