Z-Pinch Renaissance

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

paperburn1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Z-Pinch Renaissance

Postby paperburn1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:51 am

not my work but relevant underlined comments are mine.
Consider a 1,000 ton spacecraft with a 10,000 km/s exhaust velocity and an acceleration of 0.722 m/s/s. For a 1 AU trip at constant acceleration, flipping at the midpoint, it will take 10.5 days and consume 66 tons of propellant/fuel.

Now let's add extra mass into the exhaust stream, so that the spacecraft uses propellant at 16 times the rate but expels it at 1/4 the exhaust velocity (thus keeping the same power). This brings the acceleration up to 2.89 m/s/s. We will accelerate for 1/10 the distance, drift for 8/10 the distance, and then decelerate for 1/10 the distance. The trip now takes 7 days and uses 240 tons of propellant, of which only 7 tons is fuel.
in this case propellant is not fuel, we are talking a new way of doing things, we tend to get this confused because in chemical rockets propellant is fuel but in our case they are now different :D

Bulk inert (non-fuel) propellant is probably cheap (water or hydrogen). Fuel is probably expensive (He-3 and D). The second option gets you there faster and cheaper. 8)
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

paperburn1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby paperburn1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:30 pm

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/r ... p#fszpinch

This is from Advanced Space Propulsion Based on the Flow-Stabilized Z-Pinch Fusion Concept (2006) and Sustained neutron production from a sheared-flow stabilized Z-pinch (2019)

AcesHigh

Postby AcesHigh » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:35 am

I contacted ProjectRho administrator to talk about the Shared Flow Stabilized ZPinch. He was unaware of the 2006 paper with the torch ship like properties.

This was like 1 week ago.

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:44 pm

AcesHigh

Postby AcesHigh » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:03 am

williatw

Postby williatw » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:18 am

Last edited by williatw on Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:56 pm

I love the Fusion Driven Rocket. It is foil liner compressed FRCs. It has a lot of thrust compared to other fusion engine designs and a Isp of 5000 is still plenty good.
That said, if the Sheared Flow Stabilized Z- Pinch works, it would have this design beat in terms of Isp and thrust, which is quite crazy.

Giorgio

Postby Giorgio » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:34 pm

Zap Energy got the grant in November 2018, so it should almost be time for an update.
If they can prove that the nature of neutrons generated was indeed coming from Deuterium fusion and that the system can scale as expected while keeping stability, we might have indeed the technological base for a new leap in our evolution.

I am eager and curious to see what their next paper will say.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:35 pm

Giorgio

Postby Giorgio » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:38 am

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:06 am

Giorgio

Postby Giorgio » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:10 pm

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:24 pm

ZAP is generally cautious and tries to avoid over hyping things. So your point is valid (and their wording makes sense).
That said, they are already moving on to higher currents, it seems. I am a bit surprised by that. I was under the impression that FuZE can't handle currents over 300 kA.

Giorgio

Postby Giorgio » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:48 pm

Maybe they didn't fully disclose the abilities of FuZE or it was built in a way to be easily upgradeable.
After al they are now a commercial company and if I was in their shoes I would also not fully disclose what I am able to do unless i discuss with a qualified investor.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:34 pm

Return to “News”