Dark matter theories

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Giorgio

Dark matter theories

Post by Giorgio »

Dark mater is one of those theories that I never considered as having a solid base, a theory born just on the need to mathematically satisfy an imperfect modeling of the universe due to our still limited understanding of the space time fabric, of the emergence of mass and of what the heck gravity and inertia really are.

But if there is something that we all should agree on is that nature has the tendency of repeating herself with same/similar mathematical constructs for the different fundamental forces. This means that sometimes the answer to a puzzling question lies not in invoking an unknown, invisible, non measurable entity, but simply into better understanding the mathematical construct we are using to analyze it.

Luckily, more researchers are now finally moving out of such mental constrains and starting to look for more simplistic and observable models.

Here is a fresh paper from Nature's "Scientific Reports" that in an elegant way gets rid of the need of dark mater by creating a mathematical model that treats Entropy as a "complement of information" and by doing so, coherently explaining galaxies shapes among other things.

The title is: Maximum Entropy (Most Likely) Double Helical and Double Logarithmic Spiral Trajectories in Space-Time
PDF available HERE or HERE

A worthwhile read for anyone interested in the field.

*Edited to add Paper's original title.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

paperburn1

Re: Dark matter theories

Post by paperburn1 »

With the recent discovery of the probability of many tines more galaxies out there does that not put a kink ito dark matter Hypothesis? :?:
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

paperburn1 wrote:With the recent discovery of the probability of many tines more galaxies out there does that not put a kink ito dark matter Hypothesis? :?:
Personally I would say yes. According what I read they expect to find thousands and thousands more once the survey is complete. That indeed should put a dent into dark matter conjectures and force them to revise their assumptions.

Than again, I see the glass half full, other might see it half empty and conjure that the extra galaxies will fit well into the model where the black hole at the center of each Galaxy act like a nodal point of connection for streams of dark matter that connect each galaxy with the other......

The intrinsic beauty of Dark matter theory is that you can just make up models to adapt them to latest discoveries without bothering about observations because there is nothing to observe..... Kinda like a religious dogma.

Aero

Post by Aero »

Well, my theory about dark matter is that we extrapolate the number of undiscovered galaxies and their black hole masses until all dark matter is absorbed into the black holes. Of course, I suspect that was the first calculation made when scientists noticed the need to add matter to the universe models.
Aero

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Not only undiscovered galaxies but also all the matter that might exist among galaxies and between solar systems within the same galaxy can have deep influence on those theories. Increasing the mass of galaxies by adding newly discovered baryonic matter will need the revision of the theorized amount of Dark matter, but will also modify the universe density (Rho) in the first Friedmann equation, creating more headache for the Dark energy theorists that are already struggling with the continuous changes in value observed for the first term of the Friedmann equation (which is the Hubble constant).

My hope is that one day we will be able to move observations far in space with better instruments, that might give us really a new understanding of our local area constituency and (maybe) of milky way and the rest of galaxies as a consequence. Unfortunately I don't think that I will have a chance to see that in my life.

williatw

Post by williatw »

Giorgio wrote:Not only undiscovered galaxies but also all the matter that might exist among galaxies and between solar systems within the same galaxy can have deep influence on those theories. Increasing the mass of galaxies by adding newly discovered baryonic matter will need the revision of the theorized amount of Dark matter, but will also modify the universe density (Rho) in the first Friedmann equation, creating more headache for the Dark energy theorists that are already struggling with the continuous changes in value observed for the first term of the Friedmann equation (which is the Hubble constant).

My hope is that one day we will be able to move observations far in space with better instruments, that might give us really a new understanding of our local area constituency and (maybe) of milky way and the rest of galaxies as a consequence. Unfortunately I don't think that I will have a chance to see that in my life.

On an unrelated subject if you can stand the non-sequitur; is there any valid scientific reason to think that if there was a stable isotope of Element 115 it would have any unusual properties? Like "anti-gravity"? I believe that Bob Lazar claims that this element could magnify and extend the strong nuclear force beyond its very limited boundaries; is this total garbage or is there even a small chance of there being anything to it? I would also be interested in your opinion about the Navy's tic-tac ufo footage.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

williatw wrote:On an unrelated subject if you can stand the non-sequitur; is there any valid scientific reason to think that if there was a stable isotope of Element 115 it would have any unusual properties? Like "anti-gravity"?
None to my knowledge.
Also by logic we can infer that if indeed there was a material who posses repulsive gravity like properties it would probably escape any large body and tend to amass in areas where gravity in is balance, like the Lagrange points. As no masses has been detected in the various Lagrange points in our solar system, we can probably safely state that no such thing as a matter with repulsive gravity characteristics exists.
Yet, we are finally starting to understand what might be the field and the mediating particles that give mass to matter and that could enable us one day to shield a specific amount of matter from the effect of mass. I would love to see that.
williatw wrote: I believe that Bob Lazar claims that this element could magnify and extend the strong nuclear force beyond its very limited boundaries; is this total garbage or is there even a small chance of there being anything to it?
I didn't know who Bob Lazar is, so I googled for it.
Whenever someone makes claims without supplying any theoretical or mathematical support and at the same time is using such claims to push sales of a book or a movie, I tend to place them into the marketing department sector and not into the scientific research one.
williatw wrote:I would also be interested in your opinion about the Navy's tic-tac ufo footage.
My opinion is that I don't get why an alien civilization with interstellar travel abilities would visit our planet in the middle of the ocean with a "human/animal eyes" visible light cloaking device while neglecting IR and radar signatures. They are either the most stupid aliens in the universe or they didn't want to scare the fishes! :mrgreen:

williatw

Post by williatw »

Giorgio wrote:My opinion is that I don't get why an alien civilization with interstellar travel abilities would visit our planet in the middle of the ocean with a "human/animal eyes" visible light cloaking device while neglecting IR and radar signatures. They are either the most stupid aliens in the universe or they didn't want to scare the fishes!
Well maybe the reputed "Greys" aren't particularly bright; after all traveling through the perils of interstellar space is a likely hazardous endeavor even with relatively advanced tech. Maybe they are some kind of quasi-intelligent subject race created by their superiors to brave the dangers of the field to do their bidding. They (the Greys) no more invented the technology of the crafts than bikers invented the internal combustion engine. Another more likely scenario is a terrestrial origin; some kind of hostile nation that achieved a quantum leap somehow in propulsion systems. That would explain the interest in tracking air craft carrier movements from the eastern seaboard to the Persian gulf; aliens likely wouldn't give to much of a rip about American Navy ship movements.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

In the realm of "maybes" everything is possible, but the more maybe you stick together to explain something, the more that something tends to be unlikely to be real.
At that point it all gets to personal opinions that indeed can be one's inviolable beliefs, but are scientifically irrelevant.

Because than maybe I prefer to think that Douglas Adams was right and maybe dolphins are indeed the greys and maybe they will leave us one day with the "so long and thanks for all the fish" note.
I can find it intriguing or funny to believe that it could be a real possibility, but I would never divulge it as a scientific truth or proof.

williatw

Post by williatw »

Giorgio wrote:In the realm of "maybes" everything is possible, but the more maybe you stick together to explain something, the more that something tends to be unlikely to be real.
At that point it all gets to personal opinions that indeed can be one's inviolable beliefs, but are scientifically irrelevant.

Because than maybe I prefer to think that Douglas Adams was right and maybe dolphins are indeed the greys and maybe they will leave us one day with the "so long and thanks for all the fish" note.
I can find it intriguing or funny to believe that it could be a real possibility, but I would never divulge it as a scientific truth or proof.
The US Navy's tic-tac & Gimbal UFO data has been acknowledged by the Navy as legitimate; radar/film data as well as credible witness observation is scientific proof Giorgio. I wouldn't make light of the significance of the government officially admitting that. The more speculative part would be trying to establish what it is.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

williatw wrote:The US Navy's tic-tac & Gimbal UFO data has been acknowledged by the Navy as legitimate; radar/film data as well as credible witness observation is scientific proof Giorgio. I wouldn't make light of the significance of the government officially admitting that. The more speculative part would be trying to establish what it is.
What many don't understand is that FLIR systems do not operate with a direct "Optic to Video" stream, but they undergo several layers of digital processing.
People with experience in thermal imaging camera and software could easily spent hours to explain how troublesome such system can become when converting raw data feed from the sensors into an actual display imagine.
And I am pretty sure (even if I do not have direct experience into it) that military grade FLIR have several more layers of processing equipment added to the optic data stream before it is actually displayed on the screen.

The raw data stream (before processing) from the thermal sensors is exactly what should have been investigated/released to be able to understand if what you are seeing on video has any chance to be a real object or just a misinterpretation of the processing module/software.
Unfortunately it seems that the people involved in the case preferred to ignore these obvious steps to really understand what we are seeing, and instead opted to spend time to write books and make movies out of it.

While as a businessman I understand that pecunia non olet (money don't smell), as a science guy I also realized from long time that pecunia odit veritas (money hates the truth).

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Being very familiar with AN/AAQ-28(V) LITENING system I can definitely state there is a huge amount of tinkering with the signal as well as the H7.0 integrating of other external sensor array. What I seen in the video was definitely NOT an artifact of processing(IMHO). but the question still remains that it was/ was not an article of extraterrestrial origin but whatever it was it did exist. One of the few things I can comment on is in some of the display the radar range indicated 99 miles, this is usually but not always an indication of active jamming of signal return. I find this intriguing to say the least. we have spitballed several theorem but non yet cover all the facts of the incident so most likely not little green men. :(

williatw

Post by williatw »

paperburn1 wrote:Being very familiar with AN/AAQ-28(V) LITENING system I can definitely state there is a huge amount of tinkering with the signal as well as the H7.0 integrating of other external sensor array. What I seen in the video was definitely NOT an artifact of processing(IMHO). but the question still remains that it was/ was not an article of extraterrestrial origin but whatever it was it did exist. One of the few things I can comment on is in some of the display the radar range indicated 99 miles, this is usually but not always an indication of active jamming of signal return. I find this intriguing to say the least. we have spitballed several theorem but non yet cover all the facts of the incident so most likely not little green men. :(
Another key point is that while the Navy did authenticate the footage/data as genuine it doesn't seem as if anyone in the government (Navy or otherwise) saw fit to follow up on it. At least not publically. I think that fits the idea of it being some kind of black project of some kind run by DARPA or whatever rather than "aliens". If it is the former, the word might have come down from on high to let it go; if the later (aliens) one would think their would have been allot more official interest.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

paperburn1 wrote:Being very familiar with AN/AAQ-28(V) LITENING system I can definitely state there is a huge amount of tinkering with the signal as well as the H7.0 integrating of other external sensor array. What I seen in the video was definitely NOT an artifact of processing(IMHO).
Do you think that having access to the raw data stream from the FLIR sensor arrays could indeed give the needed hints to better evaluate what was seen in the video?

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Quick answer before i go to work
No, most of this is many years old and second raw data would not be easier to translate unless one was looking for a specific Item of interest. so WYSIWYG...Tac shack could do better but then we get into the realm of what is releasable and even is known to the public can it be released? bla bla U//FOUO, RELIDO,DIDO nope not going though that for some old video.
As far as I am concerned it is an interesting oddity and no more than that.