"The verdict is positive"

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Finally some news! And it is rather positive (though carefully positive).
That is not unexpected though given that WB7 is not much different from WB6. I would have not have expected anything different from a serious and honest scientist like Dr. Nebel. I cant wait to see more detailed information about the results they have gotten.
So, lets hope that funding for the next step will come allong. That wont be the big machine we all were hoping for, but it is at least something.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

djolds1 wrote:
choff wrote:I will have to forego the sacrifice of my firstborn, just to satisfy the critics of Polywell.
Let's hold off on that. Blood sacrifice can be powerful, and may still prove necessary.
choff wrote:Anybody hear of a company called General Fusion, in this months Popular Science mag. They're building a fusion reactor that will run like a diesel.
http://www.generalfusion.com/t5_general_fusion.php

Interesting MTF variation. Elegant, simple and possibly scalable.
It is not elegant or simple. Nor easy. Think of co-ordinating a hundred or more steam driven rams with timing variations on the order of 1 uSec or possibly much less.

BTW their previous description was for a spherical device. Obviously the concept is evolving.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I have done a post on the news:

http://iecfusiontech.blogspot.com/2008/ ... nuous.html

And I give some thoughts on what I think the next step should be - continuous operation of course.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Looks like the first link (intended for Cosmic Log) in that last post at the iecfusiontech blog is wrong.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Betruger wrote:Looks like the first link (intended for Cosmic Log) in that last post at the iecfusiontech blog is wrong.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Fixed.

dnavas

Massive congratulations

Post by dnavas »

Happy to hear of a successful navigation through peer review. I'm looking forward to hearing the details, hopeful that scaling, continuous operations, and net energy extraction will prove successful, and dreaming of the day my grandkids plow the moons of Saturn.

Massive kudos folks!

-Dave

drmike

Post by drmike »

So when can I read the report? Now that it has passed review, is it public
domain, company propriatary, or classified? I can understand keeping it
private for patent purposes, but it'd be great to be able to read it.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

rj40 wrote:This sounds like good news. However, I thought the next step was to just go for it and build the net power machine. The report seems to say that Nebel has backed off of that. ...
As I recall, the plan was always to do a WB-8 dodec machine first. I think that is a grand idea. I would simply modify the procedure a bit and as the new, continuous operating magnets are being built, they be assembled first 6 into a cube, then 8 into an octohedron, and THEN all twelve into the dodec. This would give data on scale and sphericity effects.

esotERIC D

Post by esotERIC D »

I was wondering if anyone knows who was on the review panel an what influence they would have, if any.

Glad to have some news!

jmc

Post by jmc »

Yes I too am interested in reading the report, if anyone finds a link to it be sure to post it as a new topic with a visible subject heading.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

esotERIC D wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows who was on the review panel an what influence they would have, if any.

Glad to have some news!
IIRC Robert Hirsch was part of it.

Solo

Post by Solo »

Alright! 8) Good news at last! I am itching to see more details, too.
Way to go Dr. Nebel & co.!

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

"There's nothing in there that suggests this will not work," Nebel said.
Phew! Talk about a sober assessment!

Congratulations to Rick & crew for completing this milestone, and best wishes for what's ahead. Greatly anticipating the next phase.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

At this stage of affairs, I'd say this is just the right kind of cautiously positive good news. Don't over-promise, just present a low-key but honest assessment of the potential, and make sure the new administration is aware of it.

I'm not expecting much action until at least the inauguration, and am delighted they at least got a little keep-alive contract activity in the fall. Hopefully the new admininstration really has noticed and will take an honest look at it. If they do, I think they'll like what they see, but I don't expect them to become wildly ecstatic.

If nothing else, as the economy recovers and fuel demand rises next summer, I'm sure fuel prices are going to soar again. If not in 2009, certainly in 2010. When the price of gas heads toward $4 a gallon again, the usual panic over energy alternatives is sure to ensue. I'd far rather have calm heads decide to work quietly on this now rather than have a political panic lead to funding, but if wisdom does not prevail, panic will probably eventually get it done.

pstoller78

With the new energy secretary being a physicist

Post by pstoller78 »

who is pro nuclear power I think we may just get the support we need.