Inflatable Wind Turbines

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Roger wrote:
MSimon wrote: this technology will destroy wind power except for niche applications. Same for solar.
A 100 years from now, sure. If the world struggles for a replacement of oil, then the mega watts that Solar & Wind can provide will be very important over the next 50 years untill fusion can provide the Lions share of energy production in the 2050-2100 time frame.

Building 15 or 20 GW of fusion capacity will take a while, while Solar & Wind already has a jump on fusion.
I believe if we have a working IEC fusion plant as a template we could roll out 1,000 per three years after the first one is completed. That is 100 GWe a year. In 10 years that is enough to double world electrical power generation.

If it is feasible it will roll out much faster than you think.

Roger

Post by Roger »

MSimon wrote:
If it is feasible it will roll out much faster than you think.
I hear ya, but history says you're wrong.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

OneWayTraffic

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I think that extremely long term, we may see solar as the ultimate source of power. I was reading a Peter Hamilton book where he had an antimatter generation station in very close orbit around a star. At that range, solar cells could produce megawatts per square meter assuming one had cells capable of withstanding the conditions.

Science fiction of course, but it may be viable in the next few centuries.

Roger

Post by Roger »

OneWayTraffic wrote:Science fiction of course, but it may be viable in the next few centuries.
IIRC, I recently read that about 50 sq miles of solar panels, at 15% efficiency would power the world. Most panels currently commercially available are in the 15% to 20% range.

OneWayTraffic

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Roger wrote:
OneWayTraffic wrote:Science fiction of course, but it may be viable in the next few centuries.
IIRC, I recently read that about 50 sq miles of solar panels, at 15% efficiency would power the world. Most panels currently commercially available are in the 15% to 20% range.
I think that this is rather optimistic. The solar constant is a touch under 1500W/m^2. If these were in space; then 50sq miles= 128sq km=128,000,000m^2 of panels. At 1500 watts a square meter that's 192gigawatts of power available. At 10% efficiency, that's about enough power for a smallish country. If the panels were on the ground then output would be about 25% of that or less. I think 50,000 sq miles would be plenty.

Of course 50sq miles of panels at 10% efficiency a mere million miles from the sun would produce maybe 425TW if the inverse square rule applies so close.

So solar isn't a foolish energy concept at all, if one has the panels in the right place. Of course a fusion powered spaceship is the best way to get them there.

Roger

Post by Roger »

OneWayTraffic wrote: So solar isn't a foolish energy concept at all, if one has the panels in the right place. Of course a fusion powered spaceship is the best way to get them there.
LOL, YES. Touche~