WB-7 Shape?

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

WB-7 Shape?

Post by KitemanSA »

Greetings All,

I have a dumb question. Did Dr. Nebel make the WB-7 magnets the same shape (round plan-form) as the WB6 or did he make them square in plan-form like Dr. Bussard says he planned in the Valencia Paper?

Aero

Post by Aero »

You can look at a picture of WB-7 here.
http://www.emc2fusion.org/
Aero

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Dang! They messed up! Dr. B wanted a square plan-form not circular. At least that is what he suggested in his Valencia paper.

blaisepascal

Post by blaisepascal »

KitemanSA wrote:Dang! They messed up! Dr. B wanted a square plan-form not circular. At least that is what he suggested in his Valencia paper.
What was the timing of the Valencia paper? Was it before or after WB-6? As far as I recall, one of the big breakthoughs with WB-6 was the realization of how important it was to have coils which conformed to the B-field. One of the problems with WB-5 was losses as electrons hit the non-conformal coil cases.

Or am I remembering wrong?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

blaisepascal,

The "Valencia" paper, aka the 57th IAC paper, aka the IAC-2006 paper was Dr Bussard's last significant published work of which I am aware.

And no, you are remembering correctly. But I am talking, not of the cross-section of the magnet, but the plan-form. One great picture of a notional WB-8 that made the rounds showed a rectified dodecahedron with magnets of round cross section and decagonal plan-form.
Dr. Bussard's Valencia Paper wrote:Design, building and parametric testing of WB-7 and WB-8, the final two true polyhedral coil systems, with spaced angular corners...{emphasis added}

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I must have missed that point. Toni Rusi and Skip Baker made beautifully-rendered art for a dodec magrid which fits your description. I've used it in my talks. Is that what you are thinking of?

I don't think that planform shape change would matter much to the electrons. Possibly it would make electrostatic fields seen by the ions a bit more or less lumpy.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Tom,

Yes, I think that picture is almost what he envisioned for WB-8, though perhaps too much of a decagon rather than a clipped pentagon. But what is being called WB-7 does NOT seem to be what he envisioned. He mentioned a "squared" coil truncated cube. I think the squared coil would have reduced the losses by making the cusp there more "funny" and less quasi-linear. I think he thought that the squared coil would make for a more spherical wiffleball.

It MAY also have permitted cross attachments in a less lossy place.

Oh whell!

PS: I have two simple graphics of what I THINK he was suggesting, but I can't seem to post them. Any help, someone?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

If you put them up on photobucket or the like and leave the urls here I will make them show up.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote:If you put them up on photobucket or the like and leave the urls here I will make them show up.
Other boards that use this software permit actual downloading of images. Why not here?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:
MSimon wrote:If you put them up on photobucket or the like and leave the urls here I will make them show up.
Other boards that use this software permit actual downloading of images. Why not here?
Because AFAIK the software doesn't support it. The image must have a www link.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:
As I stated, other fora that use this software allow it. How can they and not this?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:
MSimon wrote:
KitemanSA wrote: Other boards that use this software permit actual downloading of images. Why not here?
As I stated, other fora that use this software allow it. How can they and not this?
Different versions?

http://kb.siteground.com/article/How_to ... ilder.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpBB

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote: Different versions?
Yup. Looks like!

How do we prod our most excellent host, Mr. Joe, to update versions? I suspect it would be a bit onerous, but if he wants to hire professional help, I am willing to pitch in pretty big time.

How bout other folk?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:
MSimon wrote: Different versions?
Yup. Looks like!

How do we prod our most excellent host, Mr. Joe, to update versions? I suspect it would be a bit onerous, but if he wants to hire professional help, I am willing to pitch in pretty big time.

How bout other folk?
Send him a PM.