Hobbies other than polywell?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

zbarlici

Hobbies other than polywell?

Post by zbarlici »

I`ll get the ball rolling since i started this topic :D

... i wish i could say that polywell is one of my hobies but unfortunately i don`t have what it takes to follow the technical crowd. I get how the whole process works; but when it comes to all the calculations... fughetabouit! But i`m checkin this site everyday anyway :) ...can`t help it!

My main hobby is music! but keep in mind it`s just a hobby even thou i have a piece posted in the URL listed below. Before i actually posted i checked to see what kind of people post their music, as to not make an ass of myself, and it seems that a lot of regular joes post, alongside a lot of professionals, so i figured a little feedback wouldnt hurt! Recording quality is only about 85% when compared to a professional recording so if u don`t have a good set of speakers then use a headset pls :D

Easy-listening instrumental

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/cristian

Solo

Post by Solo »

I'm into amateur experimental rocketry, spud-gunning, and electrostatics. I like to keep up with the new-space industry as well.

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

Solo wrote:I'm into amateur experimental rocketry, spud-gunning, and electrostatics. I like to keep up with the new-space industry as well.

Spud-gunning eh? I had a spud cannon few years ago gave it to my brother put a real big smile on his face :D ...and whats more he`s still got both eyes intact.

Nanos

Post by Nanos »

Puzzles, from Rubik cube (I used to be able to always do it under 29 seconds.) to Eternity II (Its got a $2 million prize.), AI/neural networks, lottery prediction (yes I know your not supposed to be able to, but experimental results speak otherwise..), earth sheltered buidlings, concrete waterproof domes, photonic/quantum computing/CPU design, OS design, forum/chat/MMORPG software development (I'm also in 1,900+ forums.), all things space such as Google Lunar X Prize, community design, fitness/weight lifting (got to get fit to build my own house!), Nanotechnology (Specifically brain replacement, immortality here I come!) and I used to play Eve-Online for a couple of years to study economics, people management, logistics and whether a reliable income could be achieved from this sort of job (The answer is generally "no" unless your into exploiting people just like the real world..).

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

:D did u say all that on a single breath? :) ... no really wow thats a lot of stuff. Do you find all those things cuttin` into your sleep?

Keegan

Ultra Fi

Post by Keegan »

I like perfecting time

- M-Audio Audiophile Firewire Souncard - Digital out to Behringer

-Behringer DEQ2496 digital eq - used as digital/analogue primary preamp and
volume control/ room eq
-Behringer DCX2496 digital crossover - using "Le Cleache" calculated 18db
buttersworth crossovers, time correction and inverted midrange to achieve
optimal phase response

-Tannoy MX2 PURE DC Hi/Mid monitors. I have removed the analogue crossover
and personally machined a heatsink containing two 30 watt amps of my own
design These are particularly special as the +/-
28v powering the amps comes from a Battery Bank behind the stereo.

- Jaycar Studio 350 sub woofer amp. The pcb was a kit i built and the
enclosure and power supply was personally machined and constructed

- Jaycar 12 inch carbon dual voice coil subwoofer. I used Bass box pro 6 to
custom design the enclosure and match the bass response for my room and
needs. -6db @ 20hz

- Phillips cd210 Top loading tangentially tracking cd player. I built a
precision clock (master oscillator) with its own power supply based on a
popular recipe (the kwak clock). Analogue output is modified to zero
oversampling mode. It drives the Behringer DEQ2496 with a 75 OHM digital out
i hacked from its 7220 chip.

- Project Turntable. Custom power supply. Custom built glass plater. Grado
Black cartridge. Behringer micro phono stage powered by pure Battery DC

- Teac X-7 reel to reel. Found in OP Shop U/S. Repaired to working order.
Purity is Power

Nanos

Post by Nanos »

As I get fitter I need less sleep, and I've always been hyperactive, so I don't need much anyhow. (I just have to avoid anyone wanting to give me pills to quieten me down and 'cure' me of my hyperactivity..)

I can lucid dream, so I can work on projects whilst I'm asleep, used to be handy when I programmed a lot as I could do the coding whilst I slept and wake up in the morning and rattle it all out.

It would be nice to run off copies of myself, or overclock.. then I could get more done :-)

Roger

Post by Roger »

Keegan, I have a 1971 DUAL (United Audio) belt drive turntable in good working condition.

I play tabletop miniature wargames, I have a 2.6 inch aperture telescope, I have some gas powered radio control cars and trucks, I learned to modify the little engines to increase rpm & torque. I play a little guitar, a 7 yr old Fender Strat thru a Blues Jr amp.... TUBE amp. And I am a model railroader.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

...finally decided to get serious about another tune, and managed to get it done from start to finish within about 2 weeks. what u think? :)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I sit in front of my computer all day surfing the net and designing the control system for WB-xx.

And just to keep the masses stirred up from time to time (I like to keep it under 20 hours between pieces) I write on politics and what ever else interest me.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

zbarlici wrote:...finally decided to get serious about another tune, and managed to get it done from start to finish within about 2 weeks. what u think? :)

The instrumental part is excellent. Vocals weak. Maybe an all instrumental next time? BTW I do play harmonica from time to time. I picked it up so I could keep up with Dylan on "It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train To Cry".

At my best I could keep up with Mayall on "Room To Move". I'd have to practice more than I do to get back into that form.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

:lol: the harmonica part in "it takes a lot" would be pretty hard to reproduce... i imagine it would take lots and lots of practice to get that kind of tone control.

:roll: Yea i know the voice is pretty weak, but i didn`t want to wait another month to spruce it up/polish the system for voice settings which are quite finnicky, one small tweak changes everything... im gonna go out on a limb by saying this, an` prob. gonna get some flak for it from nebel, but setting up is kinda like tryina tewak them polywell settings :P

Usually i would like to warm up with a half-hour drive-sing session but my 2-yr old inserted some spare change into the CD player so i didn`t warm up before the recording

Thank you for the compliment on the instrumentals :)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Show me a good programmer who isn't also a musician and I'll show you an oddity.

tonybarry

Post by tonybarry »

Hobbies -
writing software (yeah, a bit geeky I know ... but it's good for me)
astronomy (the truth is out there and we can see it when the clouds let us)
playing the piano (& guitar & recorder)
keeping the family in some kind of order

I note your post Simon about music and programming ...

Regards,
Tony Barry

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

MSimon wrote:Show me a good programmer who isn't also a musician and I'll show you an oddity.
I don't do anything lately, but I was in band back in high-school. ;)

I'm your typical non-zealot linux geek: PHP programming on windows and linux, running my own server for my website. Lots of books (mainly sci-fi with a decent amount of fantasy, but the favorites are almost all hard sci-fi). Parts for building a coil gun, but I've not found/taken the time to put it together. A desire to pick up a decent small telescope, especially since my 3yo son loves pointing out bright stars and the moon when they are visible. Space in general, and getting off this rock in particular. Play lots of EVE-online, but in a casual way. And, of course, check here for updates on progress of building a "working" polywell fusor.