Hobbies other than polywell?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

choff

Post by choff »

I've got a complete Heavy Metal mag collection going back to '77.
CHoff

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

My hobbies include Astronomy, digital photography, Fusor expermentation (demo level), basic electronics, and computer programing. I have been carefull to avoid any competence in computer programing by being sure to play and shift between many languages- including Quick Basic, Visual Basic in various incarnations, Liberty Basic, K Basic, Free Basic,other flavers of Basic, Python, Ruby, Logo, Forth (a long time ago), C#, J, Lisp, Small Talk, Euphoria, Limnor, Delphi, Boo, etc, etc. Alas, my musical IQ is dismal.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

derg

Post by derg »

computer programing is closely related to complex physics and engineering.

All three of those disciplines are related to the arts, believe it or not. Sci-Fi- the stuff that is worth reading/ watching is interdependent on modern science and engineering. Indeed- it was never otherwise...

joedead

Post by joedead »

This might sound odd, but I enjoy powerlifting. Been lifting on and off for the last 10 years. Even competed once. Lately I haven't spent as much time in the gym as I like but I was hoping I could start again after grad school and maybe do another comp.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I like to read up (on the surface, since I can never focus to long on one thing at a time) anything science: biology, medicine, computer tech, nano tech, energy generating (well conversion) technology, astrophysics, its all really interesting to read up on. I am an avid supporter of human spaceflight and like reading up on the (IMHO way to slow) progress in RLV developments.
Sites I visit daily:
Guru3d and Anandtech (computer tech fix)
Hobby Space (spaceflight fix)
Talk Polywell (hoefully the next gen propulsion system/energy for the future- fix)
Next Big Future (all thats cool stuff fix)
New Scientist and Science Daily(medical and biology fix)
Gizmag (geek fix)
And when I am done with these and still not satisfied I read Popular Mechanics (yeah I am guilty).

On the (turn of brain ) entertainment side, I watch Battlestar Galactica, Supernatural (yeah it is silly, but I have a good laugh every time) and the Terminator series. Dexter is over for this season unfortunately...
Music is everything from classic to 80ies to goth and metal.

In case you wondered, my job is in software development, which I own a company for.
And now you probably know way more about me, than you wanted to.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

joedead wrote:This might sound odd, but I enjoy powerlifting. Been lifting on and off for the last 10 years. Even competed once. Lately I haven't spent as much time in the gym as I like but I was hoping I could start again after grad school and maybe do another comp.

Mmm... that gave me an idea of how to increase the preformance of the Polywell/ BFR. After all, it worked for Berry Bonds and A Rod . :)

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

joedead

Post by joedead »

Mmm... that gave me an idea of how to increase the preformance of the Polywell/ BFR. After all, it worked for Berry Bonds and A Rod .

Dan Tibbets
LOL

My true guilty pleasure is reading Sci-Fi novels. I've got a massive collection and I grab copies of Science Fiction and Fantasy magazine whenever I can. Although I'm not really a Trekkie, I'm a bit of a former Star Wars geek. Lately I've been into Cyber-punk novels; Gibson, Stephenson, etc.

Damon Hill

Post by Damon Hill »

My main hobby is electronics with an emphasis on audio, and test and measurement. I like to build and modify audio amplifiers, as mindset and budget allows. The test bench is mostly geriatric Heathkit with a few bits of Hewlett Packard (courtesy Boeing Surplus) and Tektronics.

Music preferences are classical, ambient/newage, jazz or whatever grabs my fancy.

Aside from that I'm interested in technology of all sorts, but especially rocketry and energy systems. Some photography, a rare bit of science fiction and fantasy, and gardening. I attempted at one time to write and draw in science fiction and fantasy subjects, but my Muse has deserted me.

I hang out here to monitor the news and maybe pick up a few crumbs of physics and engineering--to the extremely limited extent I can understand it!

Does anyone need a QuadTech 1417 Standard Capacitor? (1 uF to 1F)

Rick Brice

Post by Rick Brice »

Anyone here play the Great Highland Bagpipe for fun, besides me?
RH Rule? But I'm Left-handed!

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Rick Brice wrote:Anyone here play the Great Highland Bagpipe for fun, besides me?
My son used to drum in a bagpipe band.

http://www.cityofrockfordpipeband.com/
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

WWII warbirds, neuroscience, reading anything DIY like MAKE magazine.

tombo

Post by tombo »

Trying to keep up with science.
Raising kids. (a bit more than a hobby)
Boy Scouts. Boats. Cooking
Any new creative science or technology.
Science fiction of course. the old masters, terry pratchett, neal stephenson
Science fiction conventions, mostly ORYCON.
Firefly
Filk= music about: science fiction, fantasy, SCA, computer programming, real science (of any flavor), usually written and performed by scientists, engineers, students, etc.
It also has lots of parody. (Hey, Anybody who does this stuff has to be able to laugh at themselves.)
It started out about space but branched out rapidly from there.
Check out http://filk.com/ to listen to some.
I just a sing along. I can't claim to make the stuff.
-Tom Boydston-
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith »

Wait, what? I've never seen anyone else who likes filk! My friends barely put up with it...

Um, reading about (and hopefully building soon) repraps, researching space launch tech, iGEM and other synthetic bio stuff.
A little bit of squash, if I can find the time.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

I are a engineer, not a programmer. I played the guitar back when I had time, and clarinet and sax (and trumpet but not well).
Science Fiction, read and view. (Firefly, Spec Unit 2, all those short lived wonders :) ) (and I'm a Monk-o-phile)
Algaeoleum (biofuels from algae).....\
...........................................................Eclectic, no?
BFR, MSR (aka LFTR)........................./
(Bussard Fusion Reactor, Molten Salt Reactor, Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor)
Wiki and this.
Non-rocket spacelaunch
Inventing stuff (only two patents, but others in the hopper)
Condo Board.

jgarry

Post by jgarry »

Anyone know anything about fiber optic control of servos?