Is There an Optimal Size for Magrid Casings?

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

icarus
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby icarus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:22 pm

Torulf2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Torulf2 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:55 pm

icarus

Postby icarus » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:01 am

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:55 am

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:34 am

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:42 am

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:52 am

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:05 am

ekribbs

Postby ekribbs » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:36 am

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:31 am

icarus

Postby icarus » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:45 am

Hmm, after looking at the below diagram some more I'm having second thoughts about the contention that nubs directly above mid-edge cusp is bad. The osculating coils, that are not shown in this section since we are looking at the diagonal section that bisects them, are at about a similar radius as the large black coils shown. At that level, the field lines are quite uniformly radial and the slight orange tinge suggests the field is stronger at that level directly above the mid-edge cusps.... more head scratching is in order, I think.

Billy Catringer

Postby Billy Catringer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:03 am

tombo

Postby tombo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:35 am

Torulf,
Good, but where do you put the 3rd leg for symmetry? (on a coil next to 4 others)
I’ve been scratching my head over this one for a while too.
I added the 4th one because I really like symmetry.
One could go for 8 triangular coils with 3 legs each instead of 6 square coils with 4 legs each, but the leg count is 24 either way and 6 is fewer coils to build and they each have 90 degree bends which seem easier than 120 degree bends.
But with 4 legs I could all too easily see it twisting, racking and wobbling like a pendulum. So, I doubled the number to give triangle strength and resist buckling initiation loads. It looks like a lot of legs, but there are huge loads that we need to resist.
I like the truss shape that I came up with by following that path. I hope you can find a better solution.

Kiteman:
I agree it will have an X shaped region of zero field.
I disagree that zero fields are fine.
DrB never drew it this way to my knowledge. [Although, I vaguely remember that one of the enclosed machines had vertex coils and did not work very well for reasons that Art Carlson was very eloquent and adamant about a few months back.]
When I look at it I see 48 vertexes, each with an odd number (3) of faces.
Of interest there are irreconcilable geometrical issues with the shape.
If the hole is square then the straight to curved transitions cannot be in the same place for the two curves. If they are the same then the hole is very much longer than it is wide. I tried to make that work for hours.

Without the crossovers there are no zero field points:
I believe that DrB referred to square plan form, round cross section coils like these. (Although maybe closer to touching than shown in this plot.)
IMO the funny cusp is an artifact of approximating the ideal infinitely sharp vertex points with the long rounded almost kissing regions of round coils like in WB6.
I further believe that the square plan form reduces it greatly. The sharper the bends can be made, the smaller the funny cusp becomes. It reduces in size to approximately what it would be in a machine with round coils the same radius and spacing as the radius of the curved corners of the square coils.

Here without my notes for your marking pleasure:

P.S. Here it is up close:
-Tom Boydston-
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

Billy Catringer

Postby Billy Catringer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:28 am

I made this partial model to double check the dimensions I calculated for the magnet placement. This, of course, is the Belarus Tractor version of the magrid:

There is a 2cm clearance between the outermost jackets on the solenoids. You can see the faint crack in the foreground of this render. The distance from the center of the magrid to the center of the SC Coils shown in this picture is 295.85 cm. The corner-to-corner dimension of the magrid (based on the outside diameter of the Hot Water Jackets) is 836.79cm or, if you prefer English Units, 27' 5 1/2". I left out all of the internal jackets, in case you were wondering. I did not need them for this particular exercise.

This is about as close as I can get the magnets together with this cooling system. I will do some more work on it in an effort to reduce its size and weight.

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:39 am

Return to “Design”