Browncoats Engine of Choice

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Billy Catringer

Browncoats Engine of Choice

Post by Billy Catringer »

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Dang I miss that show!

Billy Catringer

Post by Billy Catringer »

Oh, I miss the show, but I am not surprised that it was canceled. The plot and theme of the story ran contrary to the song and dance of both "liberals" and "conservatives".

What I found intriguing about this schematic is that it is not for the Firefly Class freighter used in the show and movie. This is a schematic for the first ship in the class and, apparently, it came out of the show's "bible". Perhaps I should have posted this in the Awareness part of the forum.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

It was a great show. That role was a perfect fit for Nathan Fillion, and you can never have too much Summer Glau. Toss in the mercenary Jane (I forget which Baldwin played him) and it was a really enjoyable dynamic.

Sadly, the ratings never caught on, and the movie didn't blow the box office away either. There's some hope for a sequel though, as DVD sales were fairly strong.

Apparently there's now a franchise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(franchise)

You'll have to cut and paste, the board can't parse the parentheses.

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

TallDave wrote:It was a great show. That role was a perfect fit for Nathan Fillion, and you can never have too much Summer Glau. Toss in the mercenary Jane (I forget which Baldwin played him) and it was a really enjoyable dynamic.

Sadly, the ratings never caught on, and the movie didn't blow the box office away either. There's some hope for a sequel though, as DVD sales were fairly strong.

Apparently there's now a franchise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(franchise)
Adam "I'll be in my bunk" Baldwin, is great at comedically playing a bully. He is, IMHO the most underrated and most talented of the Baldwins (yes, including THAT one).

Given NASA just had a vote for naming an ISS pod and "Serenity" was in the lead until Colbert got his minions (and Anonymous) to game the voting system to name it "Colbert". NOTE: NASA is going to name the ISS toilet after Colbert.

The franchise is very libertarian.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

The show faced a number of problems, aside from its tendency to piss off both liberals and conservatives:

1) Joss Whedon has a problem with Season 1 in every show he's done. I don't think I've seen an exception, and I'm a fan of mid-arc Buffy.
2) This was not helped by his tendency to try and write Firefly as though it were set in 1800's America. The dialog was at times painfully stilted.
3) (And most important) Fox aired the show in semi-random order and changed the air time for it mid-season. Even if you liked the show, the network kept trying to sabotage the viewership by moving it around. (I recall -- and can't find any documentation for this -- that Whedon was actively sabotaged by Fox, which had a change of hands at the executive level while Firefly was in production that prompted this.)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I thought that Firefly was quite a good show. I only ever saw it on DVD though (it never even aired here). That is probably good thing considering how Fox butchered it. Fox generally is getting a bad rep for killing off shows before the end of the first season. I know quite a few people that refuse to watch a show on FOX unless it has been running for more than a season. That of course is bad, because it costs FOX its own audience... Oh well, if it the same people are responsible for this that are responsible for Fox news, then I am not surprised. Fox news got to be one of the worst news stations ever.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:I thought that Firefly was quite a good show. I only ever saw it on DVD though (it never even aired here). That is probably good thing considering how Fox butchered it. Fox generally is getting a bad rep for killing off shows before the end of the first season. I know quite a few people that refuse to watch a show on FOX unless it has been running for more than a season. That of course is bad, because it costs FOX its own audience... Oh well, if it the same people are responsible for this that are responsible for Fox news, then I am not surprised. Fox news got to be one of the worst news stations ever.
Compared to what? Their ratings are good. Better than CNN in fact.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

MSimon wrote:Compared to what? Their ratings are good. Better than CNN in fact.
Better than CNN & MSNBC combined.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/03/27/ca ... h-26/15350

Live + Same Day Cable News Daily Ratings for March 26, 2009

P2+ Total Day
FNC – 1,370,000 viewers
CNN – 671,000 viewers
MSNBC –470,000 viewers
CNBC – 261,000 viewers
HLN – 401,000 viewers

P2+ Prime Time
FNC – 2,858,000 viewers
CNN—999,000 viewers
MSNBC –1,071,000 viewers
CNBC – 147,000 viewers
HLN – 840,000 viewers

Also, IIRC both Hillary Clinton & Ed Rendell (Governor of Pennsylvania) rated FNC as the fairest network of the 2008 election season.

Duane
Vae Victis

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Well, I can only say, that I have seen a lot of bogus on CNN and whenever I thought, that it could not get any dumber, Fox would top it once more.
In fact, some of the dumbes stuff I have ever seen, was on Fox...

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Let me give you an example here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utE9bCnM ... playnext=1

I got that kindly pointed out by my personal hero James Randi.

Then we also have that one (my personal "favorite"):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5MVVtFYTSo

I can find more, all I have to do is watch that channel for an hour or so...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:Let me give you an example here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utE9bCnM ... playnext=1

I got that kindly pointed out by my personal hero James Randi.

Then we also have that one (my personal "favorite"):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5MVVtFYTSo

I can find more, all I have to do is watch that channel for an hour or so...
Skipjack - It may come as a surprise to you that some people do believe the moon landing was a fake. I think it is interesting to explore that kind of thinking. Just as I think it is interesting to study the Intelligent Design folks and people who believe Polywell just might work. Oh. Wait. I'm one of the latter. Scratch that. Waste of time.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

MSimon wrote:Skipjack - It may come as a surprise to you that some people do believe the moon landing was a fake. I think it is interesting to explore that kind of thinking. Just as I think it is interesting to study the Intelligent Design folks and people who believe Polywell just might work. Oh. Wait. I'm one of the latter. Scratch that. Waste of time.
Creationists, Moon Landing Truufers and the like are no danger to science.

Treat them with respect. Submit their every claim to rigorous, highly supervised and documented investigation ten times. Properly executed, the scientific method will address their claims fairly. Ninty nine percent says their claims will be disposed of, and if the odd 1% is correct, then we live in a more interesting world than we knew.

The danger to science is those who cloak agenda in the veneer of credentialed legitimacy, not the far out whackys who can be addressed with fairness and civility.

Which is why the paranoid & arrogant freakouts the NeoDarwinians have about Creationists are so counter-productive.

Duane
Vae Victis

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Skipjack wrote:Well, I can only say, that I have seen a lot of bogus on CNN and whenever I thought, that it could not get any dumber, Fox would top it once more.
In fact, some of the dumbes stuff I have ever seen, was on Fox...
It's true, like Drudge Fox News is a bit tabloidy, but they're both willing to report stories the MSM avoids for ideological reasons as well as the stories they avoid for better reasons.

FNS is also not afraid to say "our troops" and generally be proud of America, esp. small-town America, which you can clearly sense the other cable channels despise and loathe respectively. And, they don't employ Nancy "hang the Duke rapists now! I'll hound you till you commit suicide!" Grace.

Also, your link appears to be a local news station. They're always a bit amateur and cover silly things like that.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Dont even get me started on the creationists...