What are the effects of E X B plasma drift in polywell?

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Robthebob

What are the effects of E X B plasma drift in polywell?

Post by Robthebob »

See topic, since polywell relies on both E fields and B fields to work, I was wondering how the plasma drift affects the ions and electrons.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

Art Carlson

Re: What are the effects of E X B plasma drift in polywell?

Post by Art Carlson »

Robthebob wrote:See topic, since polywell relies on both E fields and B fields to work, I was wondering how the plasma drift affects the ions and electrons.
The lowest order effect will be that the plasma on the surface of the ball (I use the term loosely, since the shape is more like a hedgehog) will spin around the point cusps. Next order? I suppose viscosity will cause some of the bulk plasma to spin, too, and slow down the surface. Slowing the surface should pull the ions in tighter, I think. Might actually be interesting to look into it (although I suspect it won't be a large effect).

vernes

Re: What are the effects of E X B plasma drift in polywell?

Post by vernes »

Art Carlson wrote:Might actually be interesting to look into it (although I suspect it won't be a large effect).
If this would be a movie, the camera would keep you on screen a bit longer and slightly zoom into your face to make the viewer remember this scene a bit better.