String Theory

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

String Theory

Post by MSimon »

http://www.labspaces.net/101446/Golden_ ... ntum_world

By tuning the system and artificially introducing more quantum uncertainty the researchers observed that the chain of atoms acts like a nanoscale guitar string. Dr. Radu Coldea from Oxford University, who is the principal author of the paper and drove the international project from its inception a decade ago until the present, explains: "Here the tension comes from the interaction between spins causing them to magnetically resonate. For these interactions we found a series (scale) of resonant notes: The first two notes show a perfect relationship with each other. Their frequencies (pitch) are in the ratio of 1.618…, which is the golden ratio famous from art and architecture." Radu Coldea is convinced that this is no coincidence. "It reflects a beautiful property of the quantum system – a hidden symmetry. Actually quite a special one called E8 by mathematicians, and this is its first observation in a material", he explains.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

I don't remember Lisi mentioning the ratio in his TED talk.
Googled for those key words and found this constipated article linking them, along with an electrical basis for gravity. Probably just cranky stringing together of appealing hypothesies and theories, like stacking letters (related or not) on a letter spike.

It does mention that others had thought of what Lisi popularized years earlier.
http://www.evolver.net/user/pod4/blog/g ... ly_complex
" Several theoretical physicists and scholars have pointed out that the Egyptian scientist, M. S. El Naschie reached the same conclusions of Lisi some 14 years earlier and that M. Green of Cambridge, UK and J. Schwarz of Caltech, USA and E. Witten of Princeton, USA were the first to discover E8 for high energy physics. (see S. Traener comments on November 23 (2007) and Maurice Meyers November 19 (2007)link) .....

Following P. Gerard's comments posted a day ago on December 19, I decided to find out about this Mohamed El Naschie. I searched for him on SPIRES Web Page of Stanford Slack (see: spires@slac.stanford.edu ); (link). I found a staggering 106 papers by him - at least 25 of them are related to Exceptional Lie groups, quarks confinement and quantum field theory. The son of a gun has cleaned up the site. He started from the platonic bodies with golden mean proportions and worked his way via Coexter's 120-cells and 600 cell polytops to a golden mean constructed exceptional Lie group hierarchies. Subsequently, I was amazed that he made predictions for a total number of missing elementary particles: 9 or 12 or 20 or 24 depending on various increasing energy scales.
Unfortunately way over my pay grade.

djolds1

Re: String Theory

Post by djolds1 »

Innnnnteresting. The ubiquity of phi derivative values in macroscale examples of emergent order (Fibonacci sequence, logarithmic spiral, golden ratio) has been evident for quite some time.
Vae Victis

jlumartinez

Post by jlumartinez »

Nassin Haramein believes also that geometry is the foundation of Physics and matter. He is quite concerned about the nature of the golden ratio: from the formation of the galaxies to the atomic behaviour (fractal nature of matter)

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

jlumartinez wrote:Nassin Haramein believes also that geometry is the foundation of Physics and matter. He is quite concerned about the nature of the golden ratio: from the formation of the galaxies to the atomic behaviour (fractal nature of matter)
Cites/ Links?
Vae Victis

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

You can check the website of his organization, plenty of links to check.
http://www.theresonanceproject.org/research.html

While he has some interesting ideas, I find hard sometimes not to think that he is a crackpot scientists.
Especially when he starts to fit into his vision of the world links between science, religion and alien inseminations.

Than again, I am not even a string theory beliver, so maybe I have preconceptions to overcome...

Helius

Post by Helius »

If he were absolutely correct about the fractal nature of things in science, would that provide credence to views of Alien insemination?

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

Helius wrote:If he were absolutely correct about the fractal nature of things in science, would that provide credence to views of Alien insemination?
Actually it would seem to harmonize with Einstein - reality as geometry. Loop Quantum Gravity takes that approach as well, IIRC.
Vae Victis

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Helius wrote:If he were absolutely correct about the fractal nature of things in science, would that provide credence to views of Alien insemination?
Of course not, is just that whenever people start to mix such arguments toghether I cannot avoid to feel like we are in front of some mystical visionary...

Plus, I heard and read some of his arguments, interesting, but they did not break trought me.
Anyhow, we will see once his papers will be peer reviewed (as far as I know none of his theories has been peer reviewed until now).

jlumartinez

Post by jlumartinez »

Video about Haramein theory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMtthyAGBC4

One of the ideas I like more is his search for the origin of the spin: What makes electrons spin, protons spin, planets spin, solar systems spin, galaxies spin for millions and million of years? He believes that inside every proton there is a mini black hole and the gravitational attraction provoked in that mini black hole is the responsible of the strong force to join the protons together. His theory explains the strong force as a case of gravity at subatomic level. The existance of these black holes in protons, planets, solar systems, galaxies is a fractal division of the same basic geometrical structure and is the source of the spin.

Golden Ratio and Unified field theories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVdMRfZGK1s