Grad school

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Solo

Grad school

Post by Solo »

Well, I had to decide today... I was hung between U. of Wisc - Madison and U. of Wash - Seattle. I decided that since Madison has a bigger/better program, that's where I will go, even though around here Seattle gets most of the press, and personally I think Seattle is a much neater city.

So, Robthebob, you said you were going to NMU? Anyone else?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Madison has its charms. The lakes are nice.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Yah, an dere boat full o skandahoovians, which is guut too!

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

UW Seattle is generally considered better for biology, but I guess every program is different.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Wisconsin and UIllinois Champaign are #1 and #2 in plasma physics related to fusion and rocketry. IMO.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

Fair enough. I don't know as much about those programs. How's UCLA? They used to have their own tok. I got to see it once. The guy manning the place was delighted that anyone was interested in fusion enough to recognize a tokamak.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

MirariNefas wrote:Fair enough. I don't know as much about those programs. How's UCLA? They used to have their own tok. I got to see it once. The guy manning the place was delighted that anyone was interested in fusion enough to recognize a tokamak.
The whole California system has gone downhill. Too much PC and POMO. The Midwest (even Madison) is somewhat immune to the "nothing is real and you can just change your mind" school of epistemology.

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

I'm not really sure what you mean, but I'll interpret it as you prefering the conservative vibe of the Midwest. Not really something I'll agree with, but we can leave it at that.

Edit* thinking about it some more, I guess I know what you mean. I just can't imagine that sort of attitude leaking out of the humanities departments and into plasma physics.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

MirariNefas wrote:I'm not really sure what that means, but I'll interpret it as you prefering the conservative vibe of the Midwest. Not really something I'll agree with, but we can leave it at that.
Ah. I can tell you are unaware of Post Normal Science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-normal_science

To do post normal science the first requirement is a panic. Those will be provided by the political arm. We are always trying new ones out to see which ones will have the widest and deepest effect.

We need a Republic of Fear without political oppression - which is after all so tawdry and subject to head chopping revolutions. For that the Broadcast media provide an abundance. Besides - we love disasters - when they happen to other people.

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

I'm not really into the conspiracy theory thing.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

MirariNefas wrote:I'm not really into the conspiracy theory thing.
It is not a conspiracy. It is the way things work. Ask H.L. Menken, Herman Goering, and a host of others. Politics is about inciting fears that require collective action.

Water is wet. Politics is about fear.

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

Do you have a strong need for others to believe as you do?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

MirariNefas wrote:Do you have a strong need for others to believe as you do?
I prefer my lunch naked.

Laws are based on people's fears. Some of the fears are warranted. Some are not.

Some fear change. Some fear things will remain the same. So they form factions and duke it out politically. But at the core is fear. And individual fear is not enough. It has to be a fear requiring collective action.

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

I guess I often feel compelled to proseletyze as well. Not as much as in my youth though.

I guess I'm being mean. You want me to talk about this politics of fear thing. Really, I just had some offhand curiosity about the physics research being done at an institution where I saw an impressive piece of equipment. Okay, fear rules politics. Tokamaks are run by fear, and therefore they are run by politics, which would be a great fuel source if only materials science could handle the radiation stress and all the politics could be contained in a smaller reactor vessel.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

MirariNefas wrote:I guess I often feel compelled to proseletyze as well. Not as much as in my youth though.

I guess I'm being mean. You want me to talk about this politics of fear thing. Really, I just had some offhand curiosity about the physics research being done at an institution where I saw an impressive piece of equipment. Okay, fear rules politics. Tokamaks are run by fear, and therefore they are run by politics, which would be a great fuel source if only materials science could handle the radiation stress and all the politics could be contained in a smaller reactor vessel.
The money for the toks came from fear. Hope too. But fear predominantly.