Promethius Fusion Makes The BBC

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

MSimon wrote:I got an e-mail from Rick and he is mystified/amused.
Can you share some more about this e-mail?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Giorgio wrote:
MSimon wrote:I got an e-mail from Rick and he is mystified/amused.
Can you share some more about this e-mail?
It was very short. I didn't condense it much.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

interesting... my university's department has electron injectors, dont know if i can use them... how powerful of a vac pump do i need?
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

The last EMC2 electron injectors I saw are available from Advance Auto Parts. No, that is not a mistake.

Ion injectors are tricker.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Tom Ligon wrote:The last EMC2 electron injectors I saw are available from Advance Auto Parts. No, that is not a mistake.
De-glazed truck headlamps anyone? :wink:

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Car halogen headlight bulbs, with the envelopes cut off, actually. I think that has been public knowledge for a while. In any case, hot tungsten has been a known robust emitter for over a century.

Anyone considering trying it, the bulbs contain a fair amount of halogen (probably chlorine), I think under positive pressure, so use appropriate precautions when removing the glass envelope. Plain bulbs could probably be used equally well, but I liked the form factor of the halogens.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Tom Ligon wrote:Car halogen headlight bulbs, with the envelopes cut off, actually. I think that has been public knowledge for a while. In any case, hot tungsten has been a known robust emitter for over a century.
Yes, that's well-established.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

MSimon wrote:
TallDave wrote:Linkage is building....

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=fusion+s ... 2baa5e4530
As of now: About 857,000 results

I got an e-mail from Rick and he is mystified/amused.
Ha, I'm pretty sure FAMULUS is now getting more publicity than EMC2.

Of course, a lot of it is just the novelty of some guy producing fusion in a little apartment on a shoestring budget, which strikes people not in the fusor crowd as surprising. Still, it should get more people into IEC fusion.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

Aero

Post by Aero »

Well, let Rick be mystified/amused. He should recognize that it is his thunder that FAMUMUS is getting. If Rick wants some recognition then all he has to do is open up a little with the information. But no, he wants to hold the company private information close.

Won't he be in for a big surprise when, upon presenting for venture capital, the VC asks him, "Where is the inventor of this device, what does he say about you building one? I believe his name is Mark Suppes,"

Wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth.
Aero

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Aero wrote:Well, let Rick be mystified/amused. He should recognize that it is his thunder that FAMUMUS is getting. If Rick wants some recognition then all he has to do is open up a little with the information. But no, he wants to hold the company private information close.

Won't he be in for a big surprise when, upon presenting for venture capital, the VC asks him, "Where is the inventor of this device, what does he say about you building one? I believe his name is Mark Suppes,"

Wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth.
I dunno - I'm sure this publicity will generate inquiries for Rick that we will never hear about. The more people competing for his attention the better deal he will get.

I have heard rumors that this round of publicity is generating interest from angel investors/philanthropists who are interested in setting up independent Polywell research.

We shall see.

I can tell you this: at least three BIG companies have in the past contacted me to get in on Polywell. Some of the inquiries were sent to Rick. Some died on the vine. Some are still "not done yet".

And then there was the proposal Famulus and I worked on for a Euro VC company. Documented at his site.

I'm sure Tom Ligon has gotten some of the action as well as he is better known than me in some circles. In fact I included him in one of the proposals I worked on.

When it comes to deal makers it is not the idea that makes the deal. It is the people.

Let me add for all you hopefuls: I have mined this site in the past for "help". The reason is that the people here are outstanding and already up to speed. If anything ever happens I want to hit the ground running.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

MSimon wrote:If anything ever happens I want to hit the ground running.
I wish I had the skills to even qualify for contribution :( Famulus is inspiring, though.

Will just watch and invest should any of the companies that jump on polywell go (or are already) public.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

Tom Ligon wrote:The last EMC2 electron injectors I saw are available from Advance Auto Parts. No, that is not a mistake.

Ion injectors are tricker.
oh really now? I may just buy one then. Ion injectors? we do have a particle accelerator, but i'm pretty sure that's off limits, really, i will be happy to set the potential well.

Now if I make a thread in theory or design about such a undergrad research, would you guys help me? I'm very serious about it, I mean I really dont know what good can come from it, other than I made a polywell fusor... but if there's some type of scaling testing i can verify or... something...
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

Solo

Post by Solo »

@Rob: Let's do it. I've got an idea: what if you could set up a B-dot probe, to measure whether the plasma was pushing the magnetic field. I don't know if you'd be able to see that, but it's something that hasn't been done, that's for sure.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

icarus

Post by icarus »

Let me add for all you hopefuls: I have mined this site in the past for "help".
Okay now I'm mystified/amused ... what exactly does this mean?