about ready to ban GMail

Discuss the talk-polywell site itself, including appearance, policies, and help-wanted requests from the administrators.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JoeStrout
Site Admin

about ready to ban GMail

Postby JoeStrout » Thu May 29, 2008 2:08 pm

GMail has long been a haven for spammers, but lately it's gotten really bad — we're getting about 200 spam accounts registering for the forum every day, all with unique GMail addresses. No other domain is anywhere near as bad.

The only thing making me hesitate is that there are still some legitimate people using GMail users. So I'll wait a bit. I'm pretty sure that when I bad a domain, existing users are not affected; it only prevents new users from signing up from that domain.

So, please consider this official notice. If you're using GMail, you should consider switching to a different domain, because I'm sure I'm not the only webmaster getting fed up with all the GMail spammers. And if you're not willing to switch, and haven't yet registered for talk-polywell, you might want to do so soon, before it's too late.

Best,
- Joe
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

Betruger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Betruger » Thu May 29, 2008 3:29 pm

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Postby JoeStrout » Thu May 29, 2008 3:46 pm

Joe Strout

Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:23 pm

Last edited by wisnij on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tonybarry

Postby tonybarry » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:41 pm

vernes

Postby vernes » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:59 pm

Josh Cryer

Postby Josh Cryer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:22 pm

vernes

Postby vernes » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:51 pm

Where's the challenge in that? :lol:

Ok, that might be an easier course.

But just in case, I've did a bit of code digging.
The resistration formfields are defined in \styles\[youstyle]\template\ucp_register.html
Find the input field with name="username"

The submitted username is received by \includes\ucp\ucp_register.php
and find the first mentioning of $data = array(
There the code will look for the post-variable "username"

Changing "username" to something else at those two locations 'should' not break the registration process for normal users. Scripted processes would fail.

I wasn't able to test this yet. The free host I wanted to use for the test has not been cooperative.

hanelyp

Postby hanelyp » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:52 am

Return to “Administration”