Whats to be learned by comparing WB-6 and WB-7?

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Aero

Whats to be learned by comparing WB-6 and WB-7?

Post by Aero »

That is, without WB-7 data. On reading a large percentage of the posts on this BB, and all of the recent ones, I've noticed some new numbers cropping up. I understood that WB-6 used 30 cm coils, and that WB-7 was to duplicate WB-6 to verify results. But I see 35 cm coils bandied about for WB-7. This gets interesting, because our scaling law is B^4xR^3 and (17.5/15.0)^3 equals 1.6 (1.587962963 to be precise). That is, 60% more fusion from WB-7 than from WB-6, based on radius differences. Does anyone know the B field strength of WB-6? and WB-7? With those two numbers we could guess at the neutron count produced by WB-7. Again, assuming the same detectors and geometry. Safer to guess at total power.
Now, can someone tell me when the 1.6m machine dimension arose? It is attributed to Dr. Nebel. Did it arise before he did the above indicated calculations or afterward?
Aero

Roger

Re: Whats to be learned by comparing WB-6 and WB-7?

Post by Roger »

Aero wrote:I understood that WB-6 used 30 cm coils, and that WB-7 was to duplicate WB-6 to verify results. But I see 35 cm coils bandied about for WB-7. ........
WB-6 had about 30-35cm coils, I believe WB-7 is the same exact size.
Aero wrote: Now, can someone tell me when the 1.6m machine dimension arose? It is attributed to Dr. Nebel.
Attribute that to me, not Dr Nebel. Dr Nebel refered to a comment by TallDave, that used the 1.5 meter quote of Bussard.

Bussard said DD break even was 1.5 meters, so whats a DD 100MW net power unit ? I'll guess 1.6 meters. Something like 3-4 inches larger ?
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

Aero

Post by Aero »

Thanks Roger. Given that there seems to be no point to my original post.
Does anyone know the physical specifications of WB-6 and WB-7, for certain? I mean the real numbers to at least 3 decimal places?
Aero

tonybarry

Post by tonybarry »

Hello Aero,
I have a PDF of Bussard's WB-6 report, where he gives the coil dimensions as ID=201mm, OD=307mm, and overall MaGrid height as 393mm.

The PDF is titled:-

Final Successful Tests of WB-6; October/November 2005

Robert W. Bussard and R. Michael Wray

EMC2-0806-04
rev. 0107

Regards,
Tony Barry

Aero

Post by Aero »

tonybarry wrote:Hello Aero,
I have a PDF of Bussard's WB-6 report, where he gives the coil dimensions as ID=201mm, OD=307mm, and overall MaGrid height as 393mm.

The PDF is titled:-

Final Successful Tests of WB-6; October/November 2005

Robert W. Bussard and R. Michael Wray

EMC2-0806-04
rev. 0107

Regards,
Tony Barry
Thanks Tony for the dimensions. I've looked for that report but it seems to have been taken down. Could I get a copy of your copy somehow?

Aero
Aero

energyfan

question about WB7

Post by energyfan »

didnt want to open a new thread just for this, here's something that i was asked :
How wide is the vacuum chamber in WB7? And how wide is the centre sphere?

I didnt think of checking the WB6/WB7 sizes. There are some numbers given above about coil dimensions, will those values give a size for the vacuum chamber ?

** I posted the question on another thread, so it will be answered there. Sorry if this isint the right question for the thread.