A particle so evil it's very existence threatens mankind!

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

A particle so evil it's very existence threatens mankind!

Post by Diogenes »

Physics Community Afire With Rumors of Higgs Boson Discovery

“The bottom line though is now clear: There’s something there which looks like a Higgs is supposed to look,” wrote mathematician Peter Woit on his blog, Not Even Wrong. According to Woit, there are rumors of new data that would be the most compelling evidence yet for the long-sought Higgs.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/ ... gs-rumors/
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

why that title to the thread, and then a different title to the article??

"A particle so evil it's very existence threatens mankind!"

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

AcesHigh wrote:why that title to the thread, and then a different title to the article??

"A particle so evil it's very existence threatens mankind!"

It's a long running joke. It started when people began noticing how much trouble the LHC was having getting up to speed. People suggested that perhaps we just weren't meant to find the Higgs.

"A pair of otherwise distinguished physicists have suggested that the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather. . . . This malign influence from the future, they argue, could explain why the United States Superconducting Supercollider, also designed to find the Higgs, was canceled in 1993 after billions of dollars had already been spent, an event so unlikely that Dr. Nielsen calls it an “anti-miracle.”

viewtopic.php?t=1539&start=0
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Enginerd

Post by Enginerd »

Diogenes wrote: It's a long running joke. It started when people began noticing how much trouble the LHC was having getting up to speed. People suggested that perhaps we just weren't meant to find the Higgs.
"A pair of otherwise distinguished physicists have suggested that the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather. . . . This malign influence from the future, they argue, could explain why the United States Superconducting Supercollider, also designed to find the Higgs, was canceled in 1993 after billions of dollars had already been spent, an event so unlikely that Dr. Nielsen calls it an “anti-miracle.”
"There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened."
-Douglas Adams
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
--Philip K. Dick

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The death of Douglas Adams was a dark day.

The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ogiw

Post by ogiw »

ladajo wrote:The death of Douglas Adams was a dark day.

Sorry, what was your question?

I didn't catch it; I must have been deep in thought.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

ogiw wrote:

This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays

R.Nkolo

Post by R.Nkolo »

In "Breeds There a Man...?" a short story by Isaac Asimov, Elwood Ralson, the main character, believes that humanity is a kind of genetics experiment being run by an alien intelligence. The experimenters use killing boundary, to control human progress, should humanity becomes dangerous to the experimenters.
Wikipedia
Enginerd wrote:
Diogenes wrote: It's a long running joke. It started when people began noticing how much trouble the LHC was having getting up to speed. People suggested that perhaps we just weren't meant to find the Higgs.
"There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened."
-Douglas Adams

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

paperburn1 wrote:
ogiw wrote:

This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays
Try using your towel. That may help.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

they announced that they discovered the higgs!

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Higgs is supposedly near 126 GeV.

Does anybody know the significance of the peak near 190 GeV?

The reason I ask is that Mendel Sachs (who passed away May 5th, 2012) predicted a proton mass doublet near 193 GeV.

His completion of Einstein's GR theory involves removal of the unnecessary space and time reflection symmetry (such reflection being a non-continuous transformation) from the underlying covariance group, yielding 16 quaternion (spinor) equations, 10 of those associated with Einstein's gravity equations and the remaining 6 associated with Maxwell's electromagnetic equations.

Physics in the 21st Century
The prediction then also follows that the proton has a heavy sister, whose mass is the order of 193 Gev.
A proton mass doublet from general relativity
This paper discusses the features of the proton mass according to the author's nonlinear, spinor field theory in general relativity. Within its context, where mass doublets are generally predicted for all spinor matter fields, it is shown, in a semi-quantitative fashion, that 1) in addition to the normal (stable) proton there is a heavier proton that has a mass of order 193 GeV and 2) a fundamental constant, g_m∼2.087·10−14 cm, that was determined earlier from a more general version of electrodynamics in which a short-range part plays a role in the nucleon domain, leads to a prediction of the normal proton mass that is within 1.0% of its empirical value.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

5 sigma it's pretty good.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

DeltaV wrote:Does anybody know the significance of the peak near 190 GeV?
Just to clarify, I was asking about physical significance, not numerical significance (although numerical significance probably equates to physical significance here). I don't have enough particle physics or statistics knowledge to know why the plot above has m_H peaks at 125, 150 and 190 GeV, with 125 being the smallest but supposedly being where the Higgs congregates.

The doubts begin:
Higgs Boson May Be An Imposter, Say Particle Physicists
Have We Observed the Higgs (Imposter)?

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

The inertial mass of a pion from a quaternion field theory of matter
The quaternion field theory of matter in general relativity that was developed by this author was applied earlier to the calculation of the inertial masses of the electron and the muon, as a consequence of their (electromagnetic) coupling to their environment, in accordance with the Mach principle. As a consequence of the axiomatic structure, in this theory, the most primitive matter fields are represented by two-component spinor variables. All other « particle » fields must then be built up from these. Thus the high-energy data that are interpreted as referred to massive boson particles must be viewed here in terms of a composite of (electromagnetically) bound spinor particles. In this paper, the general field expression for the inertial mass of a boson is derived as a composite of elementary spinor fields. The neutral pion is a composite of proton and antiproton, the charged pion is a composite of a proton or antiproton with the spinor electromagnetic-field representation of a bound proton-antiproton pair. The theory is applied to a calculation of the mass ratio m(π0)/m(π±) and it is found to be within 0.1% of the experimental ratio.
(Emphasis mine.)