Help ! I need disk recovery Key words for Google use.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Aero

Help ! I need disk recovery Key words for Google use.

Post by Aero »

My wife likes to think she is computer literate. She wanted to install Windows SQL server 2008 on her two year old Toshiba laptop but instead installed Windows Server 2008 OS. Then the screaming started. She lost her Internet connection drivers for one disaster and all of her school work for another. I very helpfully recovered Windows 7 OS from Toshiba’s secret partition on her hard drive, which returned the machine to factory conditions but now the screaming is unbearable. Two years of school work files, photos, resumes, etc. with no backups.

I’ve Googled and discovered various file recovery programs for situations, but am not sure just what this situation is, from a computer/software viewpoint. That is, what do I need to recover from, from a software point of view? What Key words should I search to find the right software (free?) to recover her data?

PS- This problem is very tramatic, I need peace.
Aero

Teemu

Post by Teemu »

MiniTool Power Data Recovery seems to be one of the recovery tools that lists Windows Server 2008 operating system as supported operating system.

http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/power- ... overy.html

It also got good reviews in this comparison, managed to recover all files from formatted disk in that test
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... tility.htm

The bad thing is that this company, like software companies in general, seems to assume that if you are using Server OS, you must be a commercial user, so you need to buy commercial license for Server OS version, $119 for this software.

EDIT: Noticed that you have apparently Windows 7 installed now, free version of this is limited to 1 GB recovery only anyway though, personal license is $59
Last edited by Teemu on Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

djolds1

Re: Help ! I need disk recovery Key words for Google use.

Post by djolds1 »

Aero wrote:My wife likes to think she is computer literate. She wanted to install Windows SQL server 2008 on her two year old Toshiba laptop but instead installed Windows Server 2008 OS. Then the screaming started. She lost her Internet connection drivers for one disaster and all of her school work for another. I very helpfully recovered Windows 7 OS from Toshiba’s secret partition on her hard drive, which returned the machine to factory conditions but now the screaming is unbearable. Two years of school work files, photos, resumes, etc. with no backups.

I’ve Googled and discovered various file recovery programs for situations, but am not sure just what this situation is, from a computer/software viewpoint. That is, what do I need to recover from, from a software point of view? What Key words should I search to find the right software (free?) to recover her data?

She didn't back up for two years - either to a web service or DVD-R?

Ouch.

Piriform Recurva might work, but the last time I used it the files came out in random order and often mislabeled. A major sorting task.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva
Last edited by djolds1 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vae Victis

Teemu

Post by Teemu »

Also fully free, open source software TestDisk works for Windows Server 2008, it did it's job as well in that review, but it does not have Graphical User Interface, but according to review

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... tility.htm
It does have a good step-by-step guide for all recovery options. There are good detailed guides online, simply search Google for TestDisk Step by Step.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
Windows (NT4, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, Windows 7 (x86 & x64),

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

If you are lucky, the only true losses are the files which got overwritten, a file recovery program should find the directories, and be able to recover most of the files.
But if the format rewrote every sector, then you are hosed.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

Teemu

Post by Teemu »

djolds1 wrote: Piriform Recurva might work, but the last time I used it the files came out in random order and often mislabeled. A major sorting task.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva
The reviews of that MiniTool Power Data Recovery say that it recovered files while preserving the names and original folder-sub folder structure.

Aero

Post by Aero »

I'm thinking that the OS install reformatted the disk. I don't think the disk was physically errased or overwritten, or that the files were deleted. So I think most or all the data is still there but since they were never deleted, in the "delete" sense of the word, I don't think they can be "Undeleted." What I need is something that "Unformats" the disk but that wouldn't work, so I need a program that looks at the disk and rebuilds the directory. Maybe a deep scan. I don't know but that is what I'm thinking.

And thanks for all the replys, they are appreciated but I'm still up in the air about what program to try first, and very concerned that if I try the wrong program first I won't get a second chance.
Aero

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

http://www.undeletedeletedfiles.com/ does a sector scan for deleted files
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

What ever you do, try not to use the machine at all until you decide which recovery tool to use.
Another option is to take the hard drive out, and take it to a local repair shop for a recovery run as a slave drive. You will pay some money, but it may be worth the painkiller effect.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

JLawson

Post by JLawson »

ladajo wrote:What ever you do, try not to use the machine at all until you decide which recovery tool to use.
Another option is to take the hard drive out, and take it to a local repair shop for a recovery run as a slave drive. You will pay some money, but it may be worth the painkiller effect.
Fully agree with the above. Don't use the system at ALL. Data recovery can work, but the more messing around you do the better the chance that the sectors your deleted files are on will be overwritten... and then it's all over but the shouting.

Backups are important - the cost of something like a 16-32gb thumb drive is minimal compared to the angst of lost years.
When opinion and reality conflict - guess which one is going to win in the long run.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

JLawson wrote:
ladajo wrote:What ever you do, try not to use the machine at all until you decide which recovery tool to use.
Fully agree with the above. Don't use the system at ALL. Data recovery can work, but the more messing around you do the better the chance that the sectors your deleted files are on will be overwritten... and then it's all over but the shouting.

Backups are important - the cost of something like a 16-32gb thumb drive is minimal compared to the angst of lost years.
I just lost a thumb drive - it fried itself. For reliable backup, look elsewhere.
Vae Victis

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Aero wrote:My wife likes to think she is computer literate. She wanted to install Windows SQL server 2008 on her two year old Toshiba laptop but instead installed Windows Server 2008 OS. Then the screaming started. She lost her Internet connection drivers for one disaster and all of her school work for another. I very helpfully recovered Windows 7 OS from Toshiba’s secret partition on her hard drive, which returned the machine to factory conditions but now the screaming is unbearable. Two years of school work files, photos, resumes, etc. with no backups.

OOOHHHHH this is a bad thing, If you recover the windows seven using the Toshiba factory restore it will most likely cost mega buck if at all possible. I believe Toshiba reformats first with a low level before it restores the part ion to factory. the only solution would be to bit copy stuff back by manual creation. and that cost geek time and money. sorry dude

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

you could try Aidfile Recovery Software 70 buck but if its there it will find it (confidence is not high that any large part of your data can be recoverd but to calm the wife it would be worth a try.)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

quote]I just lost a thumb drive - it fried itself. For reliable backup, look elsewhere.[/quote]
gold plated archival quality CD are a dollar each and will last 50 years. half of terabyte is 60 bucks and usb three take 5 min to back up everything (for future reference)

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

paperburn1 wrote:OOOHHHHH this is a bad thing, If you recover the windows seven using the Toshiba factory restore it will most likely cost mega buck if at all possible. I believe Toshiba reformats first with a low level before it restores the part ion to factory. the only solution would be to bit copy stuff back by manual creation. and that cost geek time and money. sorry dude
LOW LEVEL FORMAT?!?!? :shock:

Yow.
paperburn1 wrote:
djolds1 wrote:I just lost a thumb drive - it fried itself. For reliable backup, look elsewhere.
gold plated archival quality CD are a dollar each and will last 50 years. half of terabyte is 60 bucks and usb three take 5 min to back up everything (for future reference)
I burn backups to DVD-R every 4-6 months or so. Tho the number I had seen was 100 years lifespan for the normal variety. Thanks for the heads -up.
Vae Victis