Help ! I need disk recovery Key words for Google use.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

Personally, I've got an external Terabyte hard drive for backup and nothing else.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

Aero

Post by Aero »

Well - Its all over. I used Recuva portable to deep scan. It found over 860,000 files and automatically ignored most of them, leaving about 30,000 files to look at. A huge number of the files were small graphics files, stars, lines and soforth, but most of the files had no preview available and really strange names. The recuva program interface is very limited for working with this large number of files, so each file needs to be selected individually in order to recover it.

We decided to leave all lost and move on. There seemed to be no way to recover the previously installed applications programs so it seems faster to reinstall and reload the data needed for her current lessons then cry about the lost data later.

I do have a 1.5 t-byte USB back-up drive ... maybe after this she will use it or buy her own as they are cheap. They cost about the same as commercial single user file recovery programs.

Thanks to everyone for your input. It really helped. - Aero
Aero

paperburn1

Re: Help ! I need disk recovery Key words for Google use.

Post by paperburn1 »

CD/DVD experiential life expectancy is 2 to 5 years even though published life expectancies are often cited as 10 years, 25 years, or longer http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/in ... a-faq.html

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

paperburn1 wrote:CD/DVD experiential life expectancy is 2 to 5 years even though published life expectancies are often cited as 10 years, 25 years, or longer http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/in ... a-faq.html
I have perfectly fine CD-Rs written in 2004; I have no idea where they got their information.
I suspect the 2 to 5 years is a rewrite time to assure 0 bit loss; the CD data format includes Error detection and correction (24+4 in 192 byte packets).
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

WizWom wrote:
paperburn1 wrote:CD/DVD experiential life expectancy is 2 to 5 years even though published life expectancies are often cited as 10 years, 25 years, or longer http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/in ... a-faq.html
I have perfectly fine CD-Rs written in 2004; I have no idea where they got their information.
I suspect the 2 to 5 years is a rewrite time to assure 0 bit loss; the CD data format includes Error detection and correction (24+4 in 192 byte packets).
I suspect that your right. RW cd/dvd last the shortest and are the cheapest. R CD/DVDs last longer and the type of dye used is another large factor in lifetime. Also how you store them is a large factor. This is one area where spending a few dollars more can save a headache down the road. We have a directive not to use RW for the long term storage of data becuase of fears of degradation. The R cd/dvd handle heat and abuse much better. If you take good care of your data I am not suprised you get a good life time out of your disks. we supply data to the military and we nickname the users "edward hammmerhands" 8)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

So I should not hang them from my rearview mirror? Dang it. I really did like the sparkle.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

ladajo wrote:So I should not hang them from my rearview mirror? Dang it. I really did like the sparkle.
One year at work we decorated the Xmass tree with bad disks. (shhhhh I know we are not supposed to have a tree in a federal building)