A.I.s, singularity, brain transfer... your thoughts?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

AcesHigh
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A.I.s, singularity, brain transfer... your thoughts?

Postby AcesHigh » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:52 pm

Skipjack
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Skipjack » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:21 am

CaptainBeowulf

Postby CaptainBeowulf » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:31 am

djolds1

Re: A.I.s, singularity, brain transfer... your thoughts?

Postby djolds1 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:24 am

Vae Victis

AcesHigh

Postby AcesHigh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:46 am

vernes

Postby vernes » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:36 am

The brain is in the end just a very complex network.

A network that is partly founded on rules set by genetics, partly set by biology and finally experience.

At this time, the acceptance of the possibility of mind-upload is blocked by the general public by setting an impossible requirement.

1:1 emulation. We don't consider the mind as being 'uploaded' if it's not perfectly the same.
I've let go of this notion.

When we consider how vastly different our brain works when simple exposed by our body's own chemicals, little alone EXTERNAL chemicals, the very notion of establishing what our original brain should work like is simply said, silly.

Then we look at actual neurological problems, people coming back after severe brain damage due to bleeding. Shortage of food, stress.
Because the change is gradual, we keep saying it is still thesame person.
It takes a snapshot impression to find out the actual change, and even then the likeness of the person will bias our impression.

Throughout our lives we become different persons, connected by memories of who they all were, we do not perceive this as such, but we are constantly changed in small ways.

Now back to mind-upload. I am certain that 1:1 emulation is unobtainable. And I believe this should not matter.
Every action preformed on our brain, influences it. Some influences are more severe then others. For instance, the very act of releasing a chemical into your brain to increase it's longevity will influence it. Not only in the intended way, but in many tiny ways, it influences other biological processes. We hardly consider this. Because this lies in the range of changes we are exposed to on a daily basis.

If I wait until we fully understand the complete working of the brain before I engage in trying to 'upload' my brain, it will have decomposed into it's separate minerals and probably has become part of different parts of flora and fauna. There won't be much left to 'upload'.

So I use the same tactic I use when I need to transfer my computer to a new system: I backup as much as possible in the hopes I have everything available should I find out I forgot something later on.

The same can be done with making a backup of a brain.
Data, heaps and heaps of data.

It is my understanding that at the moment, MRI scans are done with the focus on time efficiency. If you suggest that one slice should be scanned 5 times, doctors will tap their watch and ask you if you have any idea how expensive this would be.
I don't believe super-resolution techniques are used in the scanning process. So there seem to be improvements to be made in existing methods.

There are some novel ways in which MEG and EEG scans can be combined. Being able to preform multiple tests simultaneously using preset sensory inputs will at least offer a possible way to use the synchronised data to interpret them in a possible 'solution'. Where the 'solution' is the origin of the received data.

With some creativity, it's like comparing this with CERN's LHC, the ATLAS to be precise. You try to catch as much data as possible from the brain, and hope to use your knowledge of the brain to retrace the data to a plausible explanation to why that data was produced using a point of reverence.

By establishing the neural landscape, and collecting signals from this landscape, I hope to establish a model that would explain the relation between these two sets of data.
It won't be the original, but an approximation which could get better as we establish better models of the actual brain and our tools for measuring become better.

For people today we are stuck with the data collected now, and will just have to hope enough is being collected to compensate for the lack of detail.

Because some data is better then no data, no amount of knowledge can change an absence of data into a approximation of your brain.

This is what I plan to do when I find time and the right people.

EDIT: spelling

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:46 am

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:22 pm

kurt9

Postby kurt9 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:11 pm

seedload

Postby seedload » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Stick the thing in a tub of water! Sheesh!

vernes

Postby vernes » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:36 pm

kurt9

Postby kurt9 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:30 pm

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:32 pm

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

choff

Postby choff » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:00 am

CHoff

DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:47 am

Return to “General”