EM Drive

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

kunkmiester
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:51 pm
Contact:

Re: EM Drive

Postby kunkmiester » Fri May 18, 2018 8:35 pm

Carl White wrote:
williatw wrote:Just out of curiosity...is it reasonably possible that both EM Drive & Mach Thruster drive will turn out to work? Or are their "theories" of operation in some way incompatible?


My understanding is that the proposed theory for the workings of the EmDrive involves rejecting wave-particle duality. In other words, it claims photons occupy a specific location in space at any given time and that something else (unspecified) is the source of strangeness.

The Mach Effect is based on Mach's Principle, which, put vaguely, is "mass out there influences inertia". So there doesn't seem to be much common ground.

Dr. Jean-Philippe Montillet has suggested that if the EmDrive works, it's because it is functioning as a capacitor and that the Mach Effect applies. Dr. Rodal of Heidi Fearn's MEGA team talks about that here: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40959.msg1588165#msg1588165.

Anyhow, I'm not the best person to ask. Maybe someone else can provide a better explanation.


She mentioned Mach- Lorentz effects, hasn't it been established that Mach effects require bulk acceleration, which Lorentz forces accelerating just the ions can't do?

Reminds me I need to post about some Mach thruster questions I have.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

williatw
Posts: 1694
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:15 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: EM Drive

Postby williatw » Sun May 20, 2018 2:56 am

Breakthrough Discuss 2018 – Day Two


Sonny White's talk starts at about 03:40:00 in the tape.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GiN-tWAV_k


More information here:

Sonny White at Eagleworks scaling EMdrive experiments to 400 watts


Image


Breakthrough Discuss is an academic conference focused on the question of life in the Universe. More information on the Breakthrough Initiatives is available at https://breakthroughinitiatives.org.

Sonny White has a new paper Spacedrives and Conservation Laws

Raymond Sedwick
University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20740
Associate Professor, Department of Aerospace Engineering. Associate Fellow AIAA.

Harold White
NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas 77058
Advanced Propulsion Theme Lead and Principal Investigator, Eagleworks Laboratories, Mailing Code EP4. Member AIAA.

In the video:
Harold White looks at Pilot Wave Theory

His theory is that Acoustic resonances in the quantum vacuum are directly responsible for atomic structure
Applying a time-varying electromagnetic field using simulation and experimentation
He then has force predictions

Image


Image



Image


Image


Lawrence Krauss argues with White on the quantum physics principles. at 4:00 hours into the video.
Robert Zubrin then follows up about White using 100 times more thrust per kilowatt in the proposed mission beyond what they have measured.





https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/05/s ... nts-145119


From the comments section:

Bamboleo 
8 hour(s) ago
400W?!
It took him 7 years to scale to 400W?!
What's the next step after this? 410W? hahaha

This guy is a modern day snake oil salesman.


We shall see...(hopefully not).

williatw
Posts: 1694
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:15 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: EM Drive

Postby williatw » Sun May 20, 2018 3:45 am

The SpaceDrive Project – First Results on EMDrive and Mach-Effect Thrusters


Image

Tajmar is finding more magnetic interaction from cables. He is not conclusively saying that is all that is happening with EMdrive or Mach Effect but he thinks it is a significant error source for such tiny thrust measurements.

Propellantless propulsion is believed to be the best option for interstellar travel. However, photon rockets or solar sails have thrusts so low that maybe only nano-scaled spacecraft may reach the next star within our lifetime using very high-power laser beams. Following into the footsteps of earlier breakthrough propulsion programs, we are investigating different concepts based on non-classical/revolutionary propulsion ideas that claim to be at least an order of magnitude more efficient in producing thrust compared to photon rockets. Our intention is to develop an excellent research infrastructure to test new ideas and measure thrusts and/or artefacts with high confidence to determine if a concept works and if it does how to scale it up. At present, we are focusing on two possible revolutionary concepts: The EMDrive and the Mach-Effect Thruster. The first concept uses microwaves in a truncated cone-shaped cavity that is claimed to produce thrust. Although it is not clear on which theoretical basis this can work, several experimental tests have been reported in the literature, which warrants a closer examination. The second concept is believed to generate mass fluctuations in a piezo-crystal stack that creates non-zero time-averaged thrusts. Here we are reporting first results of our improved thrust balance as well as EMDrive and Mach-Effect thruster models. Special attention is given to the investigation and identification of error sources that cause false thrust signals. Our results show that the magnetic interaction from not sufficiently shielded cables or thrusters are a major factor that needs to be taken into account for proper µN thrust measurements for these type of devices.





Image


2017 Presentation from Tajmar

SSI APW 2017: 04. Dr. Martin Tajmar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Hpgxb9MdU



https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/05/t ... sters.html

paperburn1
Posts: 2349
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:53 am
Location: Third rock from the sun.

Re: EM Drive

Postby paperburn1 » Sat May 26, 2018 2:18 am

EM drive just got peer reviews and it does not look good.
Unfortunately, a new round of research out of Germany is casting some big doubts on those early results. In a new research paper the team argues that not only does the engine not actually produce any thrust, but that earlier tests may have erroneously detected thrust due to “electromagnetic interaction” between the engine and Earth’s own magnetic field. Oops!

but if it works in orbit that still could be useful.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Aero
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:36 am
Location: 92111

Re: EM Drive

Postby Aero » Sat May 26, 2018 2:39 am

paperburn1 wrote:EM drive just got peer reviews and it does not look good.
Unfortunately, a new round of research out of Germany is casting some big doubts on those early results. In a new research paper the team argues that not only does the engine not actually produce any thrust, but that earlier tests may have erroneously detected thrust due to “electromagnetic interaction” between the engine and Earth’s own magnetic field. Oops!

but if it works in orbit that still could be useful.


but if it works in orbit that still could be useful.

That statement rings true to me. How would one go about designing a thruster based on this interaction with Earth's magnetic field? Some compact propellantless device that could counter drag on a satellite orbiting at 100 - 200 km altitude would be very useful indeed.
Aero

ScottL
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: EM Drive

Postby ScottL » Wed May 30, 2018 4:45 pm

Aero wrote:That statement rings true to me. How would one go about designing a thruster based on this interaction with Earth's magnetic field? Some compact propellantless device that could counter drag on a satellite orbiting at 100 - 200 km altitude would be very useful indeed.


Here is my simplified down answer: There are two important things to know to answer that question. First, the Earth's magnetic field is actually weak relatively speaking. Second, magnetic fields lose strength rapidly over distance (inverse-square law). With those 2 bits of information in mind, you would not have enough magnetic field to react against to overcome gravity and even if you were able to overcome it at a specific orbit, all like-devices would be locked around that orbit roughly, never to be used for solar exploration or interstellar exploration.

paperburn1
Posts: 2349
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:53 am
Location: Third rock from the sun.

Re: EM Drive

Postby paperburn1 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:33 pm

All that seems to ring true as well.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

williatw
Posts: 1694
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:15 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: EM Drive

Postby williatw » Thu May 31, 2018 2:36 pm

paperburn1 wrote:All that seems to ring true as well.



Not to take the subject away from flywheels...but

Sonny White at Eagleworks scaling EMdrive experiments to 400 watts



Anyone here still holding out any hope that Sonny White will succeed in pulling a rabbit out of his hat and proving EmDrive is valid? Understand that Tajmar hasn't exactly killed it yet just seems to be saying you can't rule out some kind of interference causing the apparent "thrust" results? Maybe White's stronger power will help, but personally I think until someone orbits a satellite with a truly autonomous system and switches it on to see what happens the pro-EmDrive people (White) are just blowing smoke. Same with the Mach drive folks. Can't cost that much to put up a small sat containing the apparatus.

ScottL
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: EM Drive

Postby ScottL » Thu May 31, 2018 4:45 pm

williatw wrote:Anyone here still holding out any hope that Sonny White will succeed in pulling a rabbit out of his hat and proving EmDrive is valid? Understand that Tajmar hasn't exactly killed it yet just seems to be saying you can't rule out some kind of interference causing the apparent "thrust" results? Maybe White's stronger power will help, but personally I think until someone orbits a satellite with a truly autonomous system and switches it on to see what happens the pro-EmDrive people (White) are just blowing smoke. Same with the Mach drive folks. Can't cost that much to put up a small sat containing the apparatus.



My problem with White has always been that he appropriates someone else's experiment/research then attempts to attribute any results claimed to his QVF model. If you look at White's EmDrive work, his initial attempts found the same measurement for both their device as well as their control (which is pretty much what happen with Tajmar). Instead of trying to explain why that could be, he doubled down, building another device and retooling his theory to fit unobserved (to that point) thrust. The lone published paper by White on the EmDrive lacked proper error analysis and to further muddy the waters, was published to a propulsion journal (target audience is engineers) with a poor peer review process instead of a well known/respected physics journal (target audience is phycisists). Even before the EmDrive, he was looking at Woodward's work and trying to shoehorn it into his QVF model. The pursuit to further our understanding can be a noble one, however; the actions taken within that pursuit ultimately decide.

ScottL
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: EM Drive

Postby ScottL » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:14 pm

US Navy EM Drive group reporting negative result.
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45824.msg1855304#msg1855304

Monomorphic and others reporting negative results
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45824.msg1854984#msg1854984

Appears it is finally coming to rest.

TDPerk
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Northern Shen. Valley, VA
Contact:

Re: EM Drive

Postby TDPerk » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:57 pm

ScottL wrote:US Navy EM Drive group reporting negative result.
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45824.msg1855304#msg1855304

Monomorphic and others reporting negative results
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45824.msg1854984#msg1854984

Appears it is finally coming to rest.


Hopefully this will result in more energy going to Woodward's MET concept.
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria

williatw
Posts: 1694
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:15 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: EM Drive

Postby williatw » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:18 am

TDPerk wrote:Hopefully this will result in more energy going to Woodward's MET concept.



Not according to your posted link:

As for the mach effect thruster, it is also not doing well. Several high level physics heavy presentations, including one by Dr. Rodal, that make the claim that the mach effect thruster cannot work as Woodward describes and is likely a self-interaction effect. Tajmar's group thinks it doesn't work and will report tomorrow. Then in my presentation I showed how Woodward's thrust signature can be generated in a simulation of the device using first principles and simple mechanics - and how everything equals out to zero at the end. I was also able to build a crude 3 DOF device that produced the same "thrust" signature.


So bad news all around...not very happy about this.

kunkmiester
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:51 pm
Contact:

Re: EM Drive

Postby kunkmiester » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:37 pm

We will have to see what Woodward does to address it.

It might be a decent shot to try a different design, like the magnetic oscillator I've mentioned. While there is magnetic issues to be dealt with the cap stack could be on an air bearing or something and thus have no space for Dean drive effects in the piezo stack.

My google fu has been short on finding me maximum possible frequencies it could run at, and all I can remember from a community college class is it should be more than a few KHz.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

TDPerk
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Northern Shen. Valley, VA
Contact:

Re: EM Drive

Postby TDPerk » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:28 pm

williatw wrote:
TDPerk wrote:Hopefully this will result in more energy going to Woodward's MET concept.



Not according to your posted link:

As for the mach effect thruster, it is also not doing well. Several high level physics heavy presentations, including one by Dr. Rodal, that make the claim that the mach effect thruster cannot work as Woodward describes and is likely a self-interaction effect. Tajmar's group thinks it doesn't work and will report tomorrow. Then in my presentation I showed how Woodward's thrust signature can be generated in a simulation of the device using first principles and simple mechanics - and how everything equals out to zero at the end. I was also able to build a crude 3 DOF device that produced the same "thrust" signature.


So bad news all around...not very happy about this.


I know Tajmar and I believe Rodal's work has already been refuted (shown not to be able to support the conclusions they come to) by Dr. Woodward.
molon labe

montani semper liberi

para fides paternae patria

TDPerk
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Northern Shen. Valley, VA
Contact:

Re: EM Drive

Postby TDPerk » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:29 pm

TDPerk wrote:
williatw wrote:
TDPerk wrote:Hopefully this will result in more energy going to Woodward's MET concept.



Not according to your posted link:

As for the mach effect thruster, it is also not doing well. Several high level physics heavy presentations, including one by Dr. Rodal, that make the claim that the mach effect thruster cannot work as Woodward describes and is likely a self-interaction effect. Tajmar's group thinks it doesn't work and will report tomorrow. Then in my presentation I showed how Woodward's thrust signature can be generated in a simulation of the device using first principles and simple mechanics - and how everything equals out to zero at the end. I was also able to build a crude 3 DOF device that produced the same "thrust" signature.


So bad news all around...not very happy about this.


I know Tajmar and I believe Rodal's recent work has already been refuted (shown not to be able to support the conclusions they come to) by Dr. Woodward.
molon labe

montani semper liberi

para fides paternae patria


Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests