SpaceX News

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Re: SpaceX News

Post by Skipjack »

krenshala wrote: I'm not sure if it is still the plan, but original Dragon specs were to have a parachute for emergencies but otherwise use the thrusters alone for a powered soft-landing.
This is still the plan. Parachutes are used in these cases:
1. There was an abort and the SuperDracos were fired for an escape, in which case Dragon will always land using parachutes.
2. The SuperDracos had to be used for something during the planned operation.
3. They will test fire the SuperDracos at an altitude high enough to make sure parachutes can be used in case there is a problem with any of the SuperDracos. If all SuperDracos work fine, they will use them for powered landing on land. If there is a problem with any of them, they will used parachutes and the remaining SDs to cushion the final impact on land.
The Dragon 2 capsule also has extendable legs that would cushion the impact of a land landing, should all SDs have failed and only parachutes were available or if one or more SDs fail during a powered landing and the landing is harder than expected.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Honest competition is good.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/ ... M020150526

The U.S. Air Force on Tuesday said it has certified privately held SpaceX to launch U.S. military and spy satellites, ending a monopoly held by United Launch Alliance, a joint venture of Lockheed Martin Corp and Boeing Co, since its creation in 2006.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

SpaceX , Doing it in style. Stanley Kubrick classic
https://youtu.be/4_sLTe6-7SE

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

A noble sacrifice of a go-pro.
I wonder if go-pro ever tested for a vacuum...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I know the cases are tested to 90 feet under water.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

I don't know if anything in there is sealed enough to pop in vacuum. The thing I'd be worried about is heat. If they get warm enough, radiation wouldn't keep them cool.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Republican senate prefers the big government SLS over commercial crew. I knew that they would do that (they are predictable like, just imaging what a total asshole would do and know what they will do). They are purposely sabotaging it! I guess they prefer sending more money to the Russians instead. So angry right now!
http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa- ... commercial

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

When I start cheering Nancy P and the Democans, the world has truly turned into a Bizarro clone world.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Skipjack wrote:Republican senate prefers the big government SLS over commercial crew. I knew that they would do that (they are predictable like, just imaging what a total asshole would do and know what they will do). They are purposely sabotaging it! I guess they prefer sending more money to the Russians instead. So angry right now!
And in the light of the economic sanctions imposed on Russia I feel that those payments will soon become much more heavy.
Not a bad news after all, it might push SpaceX to speed up its development plans.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

Maui

Post by Maui »

Not a bad news after all, it might push SpaceX to speed up its development plans.
I'm confused. Why will not getting paid push SpaceX to speed up its development plans? I would assume they are already going as fast as they can with the funds they have, how they would then go faster with less is beyond me...

Maui

Post by Maui »

Skipjack wrote:Republican senate prefers the big government SLS over commercial crew. I knew that they would do that (they are predictable like, just imaging what a total asshole would do and know what they will do). They are purposely sabotaging it! I guess they prefer sending more money to the Russians instead. So angry right now!
http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa- ... commercial
I haven't looked into the money trail, but this sounds like a clear case of politicians being beholden to the special interests that write their checks. Because otherwise, this seems to go against almost everything the GOP platform stands for.

I feel like our political system gets more corrupt every day. Is this Citizens United at work? Or just me getting jaded in my old age?

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I thought politicians platforms was being beholden to the special interests that write their checks.