Helion Energy to demonstrate net electricity production by 2024

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Re: Helion Energy to demonstrate net electricity production by 2024

Post by Skipjack »

Yep, they are definitely prototyping a manufacturing plant for their future machines with Polaris. They have been experimenting with various ways to build the quartz tubes and capacitors. Quite a learning process there, from what I gather. Not just the actual manufacturing but also the supply chain.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Helion updated their news page with a blog section. We have seen the blog posts before but they are now finally accessible from the main site:
https://www.helionenergy.com/news/

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

mvanwink5 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 1:59 pm
Skipjack wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 5:13 pm
I have heard that being said by people from Helion before. It is interesting because it suggests that Trenta was already powerful enough for at least some theoretical net electricity, if it had had the equipment for it. My guess from D-T fusion, not D-He3.
Polaris will confirm whether their energy recovery works as expected. I am quite certain that it will.
IMO, the key Polaris goals are to develop, prove, actually make the manufacturing plant to produce commercial machines. Yes, Polaris with the larger diameter & over all size will need tuning, electronic power systems, etc, but Helion is hard at work developing *how to make these fusion machines* economically. For example, production of capacitors, large quartz vacuum cylinders, power supplies, etc. are not set up for a one off fusion machine, Helion is making a fusion machine manufacturing plant.

In other words, making a prototype fusion machine *manufacturing plant* is the real goal; Helion is steps ahead of any other fusion company, maybe by a decade? This is the behavior of a company that knows their machines will succeed commercially & are readying to go into production.
I agree that Helion is very clearly building up its manufacturing capability. But CFS is also doing the same at least concerning their HTS-magnets. Zap Energy announced last year that they bought capacitor manufacturing equipment, so they are also on a similar path. Until we have clear evidence of the fusion performance of the corresponding devices I would still hesitate to announce who is leading the race and by how much, because we still not know whether there will be unknown obstacles on the way to fusion power plants.