Helion Energy to demonstrate net electricity production by 2024

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Re: Helion Energy to demonstrate net electricity production by 2024

Post by Skipjack »

Except for the Augustine commission Obama's advisors weren't all that great, I am afraid (not that that was different under any other president).

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

There is a new blog post on Helion's website.
https://www.helionenergy.com/articles/e ... ce-d-he-3/

It does not provide any new information for those of us who have been paying attention and is a pretty light read.

BUT, the X- thread to it has a some nice discussions, I think:

https://x.com/dekirtley/status/1806370806298972645
David Kirtley wrote:I think you can get to energy (and maybe electricity) break even in D-D at high Beta. But, it will make far less sense for commercial electricity (ie more expensive) than adding back in the He-3.
David Kirtley wrote: Why we look at pure D-D is for a Helium-3 fuel facility. Even just barely (or slightly negative) electricity is still super valuable.

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

The start of a Polaris vacuum vessel being removed from its spinning mold.

These large tubes are made from fused silica (quartz) and will soon be machined into final vacuum vessels. Each end of Polaris will have a large tube, and our team is making several to select the best performers.

It'd be interesting to see a Helion timeline for construction.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Carl White wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:32 pm
It'd be interesting to see a Helion timeline for construction.
from media reports it sounds like they will fire it up sometime around the end of the year

there's a lot of "why aren't there peer-reviewed papers etc" skepticism from the lab coat community, but the patent filings make me wonder just how far they got with Trenta

if you had a device that made cheap electricity would you tell everyone all the details of exactly how it worked to prove it was real, or just sell as many as you can before someone else copies it?

Polaris should almost immediately outperform not just every other fusion reactor ever built, but pretty much every one currently still on paper as well

any other effort would be 100% focused on that machine

instead Helion acts more like a company getting ready to mass-produce power plants as fast as possible

like they already know it works
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I agree (so do the guys at Helion). Look at this!

The Chinese are essentially copying CFS, Helion (and Tokamak Energy) and they have a really good chance at overtaking the US industry leaders within the next few years. Scary!

https://archive.is/2024.07.08-030220/ht ... e-4452d3be

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

Helion Energy is on schedule according to their statements in the following two articles. The article Nuclear Fusion Pushes to Reach Commercial Power Plant Stage published on June 27, 2024 states:
“If successful, Polaris will be the first fusion machine to demonstrate electricity production,” Helion says. It is on schedule to operate fully by year end, according to the firm.

The article Inslee energized from visit to Everett fusion firms published on July 10, 2024 states:
“We’re on schedule and working as fast as we can,” Helion CEO David Kirtley told visitors. “We’ve figured out how to do more as fast as possible.”
https://www.enr.com/articles/58879-nucl ... lant-stage

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/inslee-e ... ion-firms/

charliem

Post by charliem »

I'm quite optimistic about next year D-T campaign with Polaris, but also a bit worried.

If my BOE calcs are even remotely accurate, they'll need to be very cautions not to blow the machine.

Unless some new, unexpected instabilities pop up, Dr. Kirtleys own formulas suggest that a 50-50 D-He3 mix, under a Bvac of 15 T, might generate about 5 GW/m³ (instantaneous).

We don't know compressed plasma volume, nor pulse time, but we can always play with the numbers, if even just for fun:

0.1 m³ and 0.001 sec would result in 0.5 MJ generated per pulse.

Not much compared with the 50 MJ stored in the capacitor bank, but not that far either. If they are really capable of recovering 95% of the magnetic energy, plus a good chunk from the fusion energy, producing net electricity doesn't seem to be that far.

What worries me a bit is that at 20 keV D-T is more than 100 times more reactive than D-He. When I substitute D-T for D-3He, the same formula say that instantaneous power production jumps to over half a TERAwatt.

I hope they are very, very cautious.

Of course I'm sure they know this, and will take the necessary precautions. Just decreasing the amount of Tritium is enough. According to the same formulas, a 99%-1% D-T mix should generate about 22 GW/m³ (instantaneous). Still high but more manageable. And the proportions can be tweaked further.

By the way, if Polaris works as intended, and no new instabilities are revealed, there is the potential to not just get Qsci barely over one, like NIF did, but to blow it up to the roof.

Interesting times for fusion, indeed.
"The problem is not what we don't know, but what we do know [that] isn't so" (Mark Twain)