More superconductor news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

More superconductor news

Post by Skipjack »

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

At least it means someone has found a use for bismuth! I always thought it was a bit of a waste of space on the periodic table...

Professor Science

Post by Professor Science »

You best not be disrespecting the immortal element, Chris, it'll last longer than all but 3 elements.
The pursuit of knowledge is in the best of interest of all mankind.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Professor Science wrote:You best not be disrespecting the immortal element, Chris, it'll last longer than all but 3 elements.
Bismuth and I go back a long way, I'm sure it'll take my jokes with humour. We're like old friends, as it helped me through those mornings-after-the-night-befores of my youth! [Pepto-bismol]

cybrbeast

Post by cybrbeast »

I have a bismuth crystal. It's beautiful.
long url

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

BSCCO-2212 is not by any stretch a new material.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/f4287742558576u4/

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

And MgB has a reported Critical field of 100 T @ 0K

It has some nice properties re: fusion. if it is made of MgB11 it has fairly good resistance (re: superconducting properties) to neutron flux.

What do I make of these recent announcements? Trolling for funds.

BTW high fields are not too tough in small bores. A 20T or 30T field in a 1 m bore would be nice. The limit of course is the critical field near the wires. It will be rather higher than the field in the bore. Hence the need for high field wires.

So far the limit for MgB experimentally is 9T or 10T in a 1 m bore. Doubling that gives a 16X increase in power density. The question as always: how do the losses scale?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.