First steps towards a Polywell fusion device prototype

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

DeltaV wrote:A Polywell Corvette motor! All I ask is 370KW (500 HP).
That would look nice in my C5.

Maybe I'll photoshop it in.

But I'm already at 450hp iirc, and I hear the new super-Vette is something ungodly like 700hp.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

My buddy is dropping another motor in his Viper, he figures this will jump it another 200HP from where he had it. Looking at 900HP at the rear wheels. Nice Christmas project for him.
$13K for the motor and blower, installing himself saving about $5K.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

My engine is nominally 81 bhp. No idea what it is at the wheels. Still, it does me nicely except for the fact that it does +60 mpg and is so efficient with that that it doesn't warm up in the car for the first 18 miles of 70mph driving. So I'd like unlimited power not to go fast, but just that it could keep my car permanently warm in winter.

What can you do with 900bhp at the back wheels, except wreck some expensive tyres? And even with all the power of that C5, it's still stands so short that you've got to take the roof off for one's head to fit, I notice.

ah... jealousy is a fine thing..... I guess you don't have the burden of multiple kids!

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

chrismb wrote:I guess you don't have the burden of multiple kids!
Slip of the tongue: you meant joy, of course...
Ars artis est celare artem.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

500 HP would suit me just fine for ground travel. I can't be buying tires every week. For thrills, a jaunt in my Polywell space hopper would do. Say, 6GW/8.1MHP for the two-seater version. Mileage somewhere around 1Mmile/gramB11, depending on how many orbits completed before I run out of beer.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

alexjrgreen wrote:
chrismb wrote:I guess you don't have the burden of multiple kids!
Slip of the tongue: you meant joy, of course...
[The joyous burden, or the burdens of joy. Burden is in there somewhere, I tell you!!]

I guess the most powerful transport I drove was a mere 3,200hp. (Ok. More like flew...! :? ) Gave that up, along with my 2 stroke race bike that, technically, was ~800bhp/tonne, due to the joyous burden of family life. Now I have my 81bhp diesel powered car to plod to work in everyday, 9-5. yipee! How can you beat that excitement!!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

100,000 HP (75MW)
198,500 HP (148MW)

And someone else paid for the gas!

:shock:

Coolest Boat I drove for a bit was a Nightcat 27 with twin OceanPro 300's.
http://www.interceptboats.com/
And again, someone else paid for gas! 8)

Two burdens of joy here... :wink:

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

I won't be happy until I have my flying car. It'd be nice if it looked like one of Moller's too.

kurt9

Post by kurt9 »

MirariNefas wrote:I won't be happy until I have my flying car. It'd be nice if it looked like one of Moller's too.
If Mach Lawrence thrusters turn out to be possible, we just might get our GeorgeJetsonMobiles.

CaptainBeowulf

Post by CaptainBeowulf »

Bah - I want a nice gravity modification drive to create an antigrav field for my flying car...

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

So, you want to not only levitate/motivate "reactionlessly", but also be able to make sharp 90 deg turns at high speed* without getting turned into a greasy smear. I can see the advantage of the latter, but I'd settle for the former, at least for starters.

*[Did anyone else see that NBC News video in the late 80s or early 90s showing similar behavior, at night, at Area 51?]

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Bah - I want a nice gravity modification drive to create an antigrav field for my flying car...
Me too!

I would settle for an ME thruster too though, for now anyway ;)

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

DeltaV wrote:...be able to make sharp 90 deg turns at high speed without getting turned into a greasy smear.
On a side topic, much discussed elsewhere on this site (thread drift? me?), such a capability would make UAV/UCAV combat maneuverability a moot point, since manned vehicles could then match them turn-for-turn, zig-for-zig and zag-for-zag. Of course, the UCAV autopilot would be faster than neurons, so for a dogfight, a human pilot would have to let his computer handle the inner-loop flight control, while he makes higher-level tactics/strategy decisions. He could go back to full manual control once the UCAV was smoked. If the human had fast-slewing, high-power DEWs (likely to be available long before inertialess maneuvering, unless certain Area 51 videos are real...) he would just fly manually all the time and let the computer handle the nuisance "mosquitoes" in "fly-by shooting" mode, in which case inertialess maneuvering would be moot. Unless, of course, such maneuvering could exceed the maximum DEW slew rate...

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I dont know, I would prefer doing all the fighting with drones. They are cheaper than manned planes too.