Polywell: We'll know in 7 months time?!

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

IAW DODINST 5230.24 that is not correct.

The whole point of FOIA is for distros that are not group "A".

Dr. Nebel can not post to the web due to the standard contractual limitation that says he must clear it first with the contracting office.
He can request to post or share info. The Navy must approve it.

choff

Post by choff »

The final report is for April 2011, but they project to have initial results delivered April 2010 after collecting data in March 2010, that's my reading.
If we hear nothing the whole year through and they stay on schedule, I expect they move on to WB8.1 after April 2010. The only reason to say anything would be to report failure or the early commencement of WB9.
CHoff

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Nope, you goofed it... :D

Due Dates:

CLIN 0001 - 30 Apr 2010 (= plasma wiffleball 8 ) - Completion of device build.
CLIN 0002 - 30 Apr 2011 (= Data) - Completion of WB8 testing
CLIN 0003 - 31 Oct 2011 (= Optional WB 8.1) - Completion of optional device build
CLIN 0004 - 31 Oct 2012 (= Optional Data) - Completion of optional device testing

Obviously, they can beat these deadlines, however given Rick Nebel's history of thoroughness...

While they are doing this, they are required to submit monthly updates. This will be the next FOIA Target cause I missed the window I think on the one in the air now. Although I will try to amend the Peer Review Priority to include the latest Monthly update. We shall see.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote:IAW DODINST 5230.24 that is not correct.
The whole point of FOIA is for distros that are not group "A".
On the whole, true, but AFAIK (which aint far in this subject) they sanitize to make it distro A, then provide it. Heck, it's an archane specialty that is beyond my ken.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Fair enough, but in this case, I do not think there is much if anything they would feel compelled to redact (the famous black-ink marking pen for our english challenged readers).

Again, the shot is in the air, so we shall see where it spots.
I am learning some things as we move forward and certainly did not enter this as the smart guy. I continue to avoid use of big words, I leave that to my six year old.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of the FOIA request, and will still support you financially if you need to go the full cost route. I just am not all that hopeful we will get anything useful enough to begtin to satisfy the likes of Art and Chris. (Ok, who am I trying to kid? A full, unredacted treatise probably wouldn't begin to satisfy them!)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of the FOIA request, and will still support you financially if you need to go the full cost route. I just am not all that hopeful we will get anything useful enough to begtin to satisfy the likes of Art and Chris. (Ok, who am I trying to kid? A full, unredacted treatise probably wouldn't begin to satisfy them!)
If there is enough to do preliminary engineering that would be a start.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

choff

Post by choff »

Todays Wikipedia update on the Polywell fusor confirms your interpetation of the time frame.
CHoff

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

It should. I wrote it.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:It should. I wrote it.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

??

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

I can see why there's been some confusion; A001 is the report. WB-8 is 0001 and is supposed to be completed in April.
ITEM NO SUPPLIES/SERVICES QUANTITY UNIT UNIT PRICE AMOUNT
0001 1 Each
plasma wiffleball 8
CPFF
wiffleball 8 in accordance with Statement of Work
FOB: Destination
0001 30-APR-2010 1 N/A
0002 30-APR-2011 N/A
0003 31-OCT-2011 1 N/A
0004 31-OCT-2012 N/A
Then, a year later they deliver 0002:
Data
CPFF
in accordance with CDRLS
and maybe build 8.1
0003 1 Each
OPTION plasma wiffleball 8.1
CPFF
upgraded wiffleball in accordance with Statement of Work
which they also get a year to play with before delivering this...
OPTION DATA for option item
CPFF
In accordance with CDRLS
Last edited by TallDave on Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

KitemanSA wrote: I just am not all that hopeful we will get anything useful enough to begtin to satisfy the likes of Art and Chris.
I've never yet completely discounted anything. But give me *something* to work on - a few facts and experimental outcomes might be a start! So far we've got 3 blips on a neutron counter for >25 years work. Tokamaks had a lot more positive results by then. Zeta started in 1954, got results, even made some over-enthusiastic press claims, and closed down by 1958. 4 years from start, results, and close.

If timelines are anything to go on, Polywell has turned into another Tokamak fandango. Bussard was criticising 25 years of tokamak research in the early 1980's for taking too long, and invented the Polywell. 3 decades on and...

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

So far we've got 3 blips on a neutron counter for >25 years work
Those are just the WB-6 results. IEC devices (including other WB devices) have produced lots of useless neutrons, just like toks.
Tokamaks had a lot more positive results by then.
Tokamaks have no more plausible path to commercial technology than Polywell/IEC, despite tens of billions more in spending. If we had dumped $50B in Polywells over that time with no more progress than we have today then we could say they were doing about the same.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:It should. I wrote it.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ... :twisted:
Just what has got you so twisted?