Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I saw that as well, but thought it may simply be a reference to the contracting facility (China Lake).
In the mean time I now have a source for ongoing contract billing for EMC2. I will not go into details about how, but I am putting together a listing of total billings to date against the WB8 contract. Once done I will post it.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

It also says "Full and Open Competition which suggests that they say "China Lake" because they "don't know" who will win the competition and where they are located... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then again, they may actually be moving to China Lake.

choff

Post by choff »

A location listed as alternative to China Lake is Pt. Muga. I understand there's lots of Boron in the dirt at China Lake, Pt Muga appears to be a missle test facility.
CHoff

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

The award number is the same as that for the Recovery Act project, and the cost range is consistent with the $7,855,504 award. Does that mean they're not about to cut the Recovery Act umbilical cord?

So, who's going to submit a competitive bid? :wink:

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I think they are place holding for 8.1, although that would actually kick in 3QFY11.
I do not think that they moved to China Lake. I think that they moved to a larger shop in Santa Fe.
I was in Arizona earlier this week, and am in SF right now. I had mused about a quick side trip to NM and knocking the door. But given I need to head up to Seattle on Wednesday, the timing is not going to play. Oh well.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

On 10 September 2010, EMC2 was paid $166,000 by Navair.
I have some other money data as well, but that is the most recent billing/payment.
I am going back thorugh the history and searching for other payments.
It is tedious, but also seems to show variable billing by EMC2. They do not seem to be on a set Terms plan, rather billing as they go.
Once I have the complete $ picture back to contract start I will post it.
Sorry for the delay, but it has been a little hectic with my work trip and all.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

You are making an hell of a work ladajo.
Thanks from everyone and even if no big info will come out of all of this work you deserve our outmost gratitude for the time you are spending into this.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Yes, nice work there ladajo. Look forward to seeing your published product.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

Thank you.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

ladajo wrote:It would seem that the navy (ONR via NAVAIR) is anticipating moving forward in FY 11 with the optional contract. They have enough faith to make a funding placeholder on the official listing for future contracts.

http://www.navair.navy.mil/OSBP/index.c ... ost_id=119

See line 201 in the excel.

It seems that this is not a restatement of the standing contract which has already been executed, but would appear to be a forecast for additional funding for part 2 (WB8.1) in FY11.
That's very good news. I was a bit worried arcing or other issues would prevent them from operating the machine.

Even if confinement isn't what we hope, if they can burn p-B11 in WB-8.1 that will be a notable achievement.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Excellent work, ladajo!

In the excel file, next to Energy Matter Conversion Corp it says "China Lake" in the column for "Projected Work Location."

Whoops, I see this has already been kicked around.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I am also giving my contact at Recovery.gov some breathing room to see what posts on the 30th.
To be fair, based on the last go-round, the stage is set if there is a reporting lapse again this time.
I am also interested to see if this cycle not just reports, but also reports on sub-contracts as is required. (Chamber, magrid, etc.)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ladajo wrote:I think ONR is sitting on it until the research solid as a defense mechanism. As I said before, this is not really on big navy's radar.

I would like to think that missing last quarter was an oversight based in the move and spin up for WB8 initial power. Only Nebel and Dolly knows.
As I said back at the beginning of the Recovery.gov saga, they are palying with fire by not meeting requirements. Government wheels may turn slow on average, but they do turn, and they sometimes speed up for short sprints.
From contacts I had when TP started up I believe it is on big Air Force's radar.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

MSimon wrote:
ladajo wrote:I think ONR is sitting on it until the research solid as a defense mechanism. As I said before, this is not really on big navy's radar.

I would like to think that missing last quarter was an oversight based in the move and spin up for WB8 initial power. Only Nebel and Dolly knows.
As I said back at the beginning of the Recovery.gov saga, they are palying with fire by not meeting requirements. Government wheels may turn slow on average, but they do turn, and they sometimes speed up for short sprints.
From contacts I had when TP started up I believe it is on big Air Force's radar.
From my time in the USAF, I could easily see them wanting a Polywell if it could be small enough to fit into a C-5/C-17 or something similiarly sized. Not to mention the benefits for the AFs space programs.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Polywell is not visible at the top of the navy food chain. It also has very limited visibility in the lanes you would think it would.
In fact, the Electric Ship shop also until recently was not really aware of it. There were comments made earlier in the former discussing Polywell being mentioned at a navy ship engineering conference. As I understand, this in fact did not happen.
It is currently being held very close and I believe this is being done as a protective measure from outside entities.
The just released CNO Energy Vision document also has no mention of it. This document was prepared at the CNO level by his immediate staff.