Picture Of WB-7 Fusion Test Reactor Available

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

jmc,

OK. Maybe you are correct. It is still a stupid way to do engineering. Suppose the MTF shows that they have to scrap the machine and start again (I'd give it a probability of .2 to .3). It may never get built anyway.

But the long horizon also says that a vigorous program of many small machines with actual milestones (which seems to be what Congress is in the process of adopting) is politically more feasible.

Which I think Dr. Nebel pointed out on another thread and what I have been saying at least since the USA ITER budget got zeroed.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

jmc wrote: If ITER can even change that mindset and show that energy gain from fusion is a possibility it will have done the world a service.

When I see a tabletop device that outperforms ITER then I'll scrap ITER, but none exists. Right now I agree with trying out a range off small fusion experiments, but not at the expense of the most successful ones to date.
It depends on how you define/measure success. We've spent a lot more on tokamaks than on IEC or CBFR, so one would expect them to have more results. The proper measure would be to apply all that money and time to other paths and see if they generate better or worse results with similar resources.

There was a time when steam engines were a lot more successful than internal combustion engines. Over time, as more research went into ICEs, it became clear that in mobile applications ICEs had some significant advantages (power density, power-to-weight ratio).

I kind of wonder if ITER isn't like trying to build the world's first airplane using a gigantic steam-powered engine when you could be building a gas-powered ultralight instead.

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Dr. Nebel: your insights are more than welcome!

Post by JoeStrout »

rnebel wrote:If it is OK with you, I may chime in from time to time on your blog. However, this is your forum and I don't want to stick my nose in too heavily.
Dr. Nebel, I'm the owner and administrator of this site, which I set up as a place for open, cordial discussion of polywell research. I think I can confidently speak for everyone here when I say that we are honored to have you with us, and grateful for whatever news, insights, or anecdotes you care to provide.

Respectfully yours,
- Joe Strout
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

TallDave

Re: Dr. Nebel: your insights are more than welcome!

Post by TallDave »

JoeStrout wrote:
rnebel wrote:If it is OK with you, I may chime in from time to time on your blog. However, this is your forum and I don't want to stick my nose in too heavily.
Dr. Nebel, I'm the owner and administrator of this site, which I set up as a place for open, cordial discussion of polywell research. I think I can confidently speak for everyone here when I say that we are honored to have you with us, and grateful for whatever news, insights, or anecdotes you care to provide.

Respectfully yours,
- Joe Strout
I heartily second that sentiment.

tombo

Post by tombo »

There is a picture up at

http://www.emc2fusion.org/

EMC2 Fusion showing the WB-7 Test Reactor vessel. All polished stainless steel with a nice logo.
I'm seeing a large door with what look like O-Ring compressing clamps.
That O-Ring looks too big to buy molded in 1 piece but must be glued from cord stock.

AND I'm seeing conflat flanges.

Can we really get away with oring seals at these vacuum levels?
And if so then why bother with conflats?
Conflats that big are a bear to get tight.
-Tom Boydston-
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

dweigert

Post by dweigert »

Picture just changed, I'm seeing a beautiful shot of the coils and a Helium plasma. :D

jlumartinez

Post by jlumartinez »

Nice!!! I am happy to see that everything is progressing step by step!!

Solo

Post by Solo »

Awesome! That is a really pretty sight!

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Very pretty.

Heh, did you guys notice in the original there was a guy inside? I hadn't noticed till mhlesep on Physics Forums mentioned it.

zretawt

Post by zretawt »

Hmmm, that looked like a reflection of the picture-taker to me.

tombo

Post by tombo »

I stand corrected.

The new picture is beautiful.
Way Cool!
Go Guys Go!
Now I have a handle on the diameter of the plasma ball.

I am still curious about the sealing technology.
It makes a big difference in cost and complexity.
-Tom Boydston-
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

Munchausen

Post by Munchausen »

Picture just changed, I'm seeing a beautiful shot of the coils and a Helium plasma
May one conclude from this that they have found the electrone capture mechanism and the wiffle ball to work largely as predicted by dr. Bussard? And, consequently, that the time is ripe to add some ions into the stew?

Or is that a premature conclusion?

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Last we heard from Dr. Nebel, they had gotten to full power and were installing some plasma diagnostics, which (I think) is what will give them those answers.