Topologist Predicts New Form of Matter

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

mdeminico wrote:
Betruger wrote:
mdeminico wrote:I gotta say I'm on the "don't like avatar" side.
A separate matter from whether Avatar credibly discredits technology.
rape, and any other number of things, all conveniently left out of this movie)
Which don't appear in the movie because they don't exist in the movie's universe because that universe is completely made up. Doesn't anyone else find it nonsensical to argue real life values and issues based on a story that's not merely fiction (as e.g. one of Shakespeare's plays) but very implausible scifi?
No, because even implausible movies inspire real world reactions. Movies change the way we think about the world.

Honestly, can you tell me as a dude who's an engineer/scientist, you can watch movies like Iron Man, Tucker, October Sky, Aviator, Star Trek, or any other movies like that, and not be inspired to go create something?
They're predisposed?
I'm saying an ambiguous movie and someone's reaction to it are two separate things. You can't blame the movie for someone's interpretation of it. Someone might watch Iron Man and be spurred on to born-again luddism.
And then when it's not ambiguous, it's still just a movie. It mimics reality, it isn't reality.
Betruger wrote:Why didn't Kurzweil, instead of condemning Avatar, use the subtle mistakes (if Cameron's intent was indeed to discredit technology by pitting it against nature) in Avatar to support his argument that tech and nature are both good, that proper information (i.e. education) is necessary to keep both in check (i.e. avoid "Dangerous Futures"), etc?

Maybe because Kurzweil fell for it and knee jerked just like the other (naively tree hugging) side knee jerks when some mirror equivalent of Avatar happens.
Um, because Cameron's intent wasn't to support that argument, and any debate trying to "justify" the "evil" things portrayed in that movie would be willingly submitting yourself to be below Cameron and his points, as if you're saying "he's got a point, but here's why it's ok that this happened..."
No, see below.
He doesn't have a point, he's a crackpot with an agenda that's failing to tell the whole story.

It's his movie, he can do that. But I can also refuse to see it, or support it, and I can also choose to slam the movie as the piece of crap propaganda I think it is :)
I think Cameron's vision for the movie is puerile crap. OK. But the movie itself isn't some vulcan mind grip that forces you to believe the propaganda crap. If you know better, those things that Cameron pretends are incontrovertible evidence of his bizarro POV, aren't. And so you can watch the movie and appreciate it for the illustration of real trends that don't at all agree with Cameron's vision. E.G. the "appalling" lack of altruism of the big bad military machine, illustrated by the guy waving admiringly at a drop ship blasting off, and getting blown away - hat, admiring wave and all - could be taken as just a bit of awkward humor that reality's filled with, regardless if that drop ship's an evil pro-military symbol or if it'd been the pro-native characters in it.

Am I articulating that well enough?

seedload

Post by seedload »

Why do we have to agree with something to appreciate it? I can disagree with Cameron's agenda and still like the film. I can disagree with a band's lifestyle or lyrics and still like the song. I can disagree with a politicians message and still appreciate the oratory.

Anyway, Avatar was fun and cool and really well made. I loved it! And, as a lifestyle goes, being a Na'Vi looks pretty darn cool. Of course, there ain't no giant neural network on Earth, nor can I mind meld with my own personal flying lizard, nor does group chanting do much in the way of bringing about magic, so I suppose that I will have to just treat the movie like it was a movie and not take it too seriously. I don't think anyone else took it too seriously either. I didn't see anyone throwing out their cellphones as they left the theater.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

http://forladiesbyladies.com/wp-content ... ael_01.jpg
And I've seen worse.
Why do we have to agree with something to appreciate it? I can disagree with Cameron's agenda and still like the film. I can disagree with a band's lifestyle or lyrics and still like the song. I can disagree with a politicians message and still appreciate the oratory.
That's what I'm saying. The hard-ish scifi of the movie is great. There's too little of that nowadays.

Also the grunt's new lease on life is great, both physiologically and psychologically, and has nothing to do with petty pro or anti technology politics.. If anything it's pro technology. That was one of the things I found most absurd about Kurzweil's and others' rant against the movie.

Technology is what would enable the people of Earth to live the Navi life (whether or not that's corny as heck). To explore the universe and find such an extraordinary biosphere and experience of it.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Didn't it take a good person using a technologically created avatar to defend the world against an evil person using technology? Good versus evil, technology vs technology. Hmmph.

Nik

Saw the first ten minutes...

Post by Nik »

Had to stop and switch off the movie: I was laughing too hard at the mounting techno-gaffes...